Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tethering option...

Thanks

Default Tethering option...
    So I'm sure many noticed the tether option that comes with new iOS4 and 7.0 carrier settings.

I called AT&T and they said they would enable free tethering *if*
    you go with the data rate change. Pffff

They said *NO* tethering for grandfathered unlimited plans.

Free? Very doubtful. The advertised price is $20 and you have to have the 2GB plan.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I was looking around for any other info but didnt find any....I restored from my Jailbroken 3GS with tethering to the iphone 4 and now i have tethering and im on an unlimited plan. What I want to know is maybe its just a setting on the carrier file that locks us out or something. Cause now i have tethering but i want to do it for my sister but i dont want to restore from my back up. Anyone any ideas? Maybe a carrier file thats modded out there?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I think this would work....
    Anyone have any input for this idea I have:
    I sold my iphone 3gs and bought the iphone 4. I still kept my unlimited data plan, now I have looked into the idea of getting a micro-sim to sim adapter

So I can pull my sim out of my iphone 4 and put it in a usb 3g modem
    (MicroSIM adapter - transform your micro SIM card to SIM - eBay (item 150458060605 end time Jun-27-10 00:54:41 PDT))

Zoom Model 4596 3G 7.2 Mbps Tri-Band HSPA Mobile USB Modem for AT&T
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-4596-USB-Tri-band-Modem/dp/B002S43OS6]Amazon.com: Zoom 4596 3G USB Tri-band Modem for AT&T - Wireless cellular modem - external - Hi-Speed USB - GSM, GPRS, UMTS, EDGE, HSDPA, HSUPA - 7.2 Mbps: Electronics[/ame])
    A 3g usb modem:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-4596-USB-Tri-band-Modem/dp/B002S43OS6]Amazon.com: Zoom 4596 3G USB Tri-band Modem for AT&T - Wireless cellular modem - external - Hi-Speed USB - GSM, GPRS, UMTS, EDGE, HSDPA, HSUPA - 7.2 Mbps: Electronics[/ame]

And there is optionally a 3g router that can share with more than one computer:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-4506-Wireless-N-Travel-Router/dp/B003DNYW0U/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b]Amazon.com: Zoom 4506 3G Wireless-N Travel Router - Wireless router - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n (draft) - external: Electronics[/ame]

I think that this would work, in the software you have to enter the apn info, username and password. My only concern is that it seems that you have to have it dial a number (*99#) for access. So I dont know if that would raise a flag to at&t or not.

Any thoughts???