Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: So how can I talk AT&T into making me eligible for an upgrade?

Default So how can I talk AT&T into making me eligible for an upgrade?
    So I bought my 32GB iPhone 3GS back in October of 2009 so I'm right in the window where I'm not eligible to upgrade. Obviously most things are negotiable so I plan on calling AT&T and trying to talk them into letting me upgrade. I figured before I did that though I'd see if anyone on here knew of any tricks to getting this done.

Obviously I know if I just call the 1800 number the first schmoe that picks up the phone probably isn't going to be able to help me. But I figure if I escalate it maybe I can get something done. I remember I had the phone number to the office of the presedent a while ago.

Thoughts anyone?

My other thinking though is maybe its just best to pay full retail for the iPhone so I can keep my current unlimited data plan, I have a (non-unlockable) 32GB iPhone 3GS so maybe I could get some decent $$ to offset the price a bit.

What do you guys think?

I called customer service who told me I was eligible for the $199/$299 price points in Feb 2012. I asked if I could extend my contract 2 years from 2/2011 and be able to get the hardware when it comes out on 6/24. I was flatly denied, but then again I really didnt try to push back and negotiate. It was more of a soft inquiry on my part. I may try again. I'll let you know what happens if I do
    Last edited by Zaied; 2010-06-14 at 05:00 PM.

I bought iphone 3GS on launch day last year and I am ineligible until 02/20/2011. So I called ATT and they wouldnt budge at all. I even tried to talk to a supervisor and he said they are unable to change the date. He did say that things might still change and they may move up the date for some people. I asked how do they come up with the date and it came down to how much you spend per month, how many lines, and how long you have been with ATT.

Quote Originally Posted by enkur View Post
    I bought iphone 3GS on launch day last year and I am ineligible until 02/20/2011. So I called ATT and they wouldnt budge at all. I even tried to talk to a supervisor and he said they are unable to change the date. He did say that things might still change and they may move up the date for some people. I asked how do they come up with the date and it came down to how much you spend per month, how many lines, and how long you have been with ATT.
    same friggin boat im almost 1 year into my contract and it says im not eligible for an upgrade until february...i bought mine on release date..... i think they are bitter about my discount plan for work.... i hope it changes.. i wanna give the missus my 3gs since she borrows it all the time and get the new one....

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

I bought three 3GSs on launch day last year and all three of my lines show they are eligible to upgrade to the iPhone 4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

You are one out of 50 million customers. Nothing you say will get you a magical discount. Are you eligible for the "early upgrade" pricing or no upgrade at all? Also I think you're misunderstanding about your rate plan... you don't have to buy a phone at the no-comminment price to keep your unlimited plan.. you can keep it forever... no matter what.. upgrades, contract renewals, new phones.. nothing will affect your rate plan unless you specifically tell them you want to switch to the new style plan.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

My date for full upgrade is in Jan, 2011. But gonna go in there at some point near the release and see what they can do. Don't have hopes for it but who knows. The guys at my ATT store are extremely friendly to me cause I buy so many phones lol. If they can't push me back 1 month to make the full upgrade no biggie. I will just get a hold of the $200 more for the partial.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    I bought three 3GSs on launch day last year and all three of my lines show they are eligible to upgrade to the iPhone 4
    Me too, bought my 3GS on launch, and I'm ready for that 199 pre-order with a waved 18 upgrade fee baby

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ so far every year I qualify for 3 new iPhones

Could be cause Of how much your bill is each month ???

What's Jailbreak? thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 564 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    Lucky you there SB! I got to pay $499.00 for the one I want this year. Don't know why I can't upgrade this year but can't. And yes I did the same as many others and called them and they said they can't get to that area on the computers and could not change it.

I do not know why if you bought it a year ago and you have been upgrading each year why they don't continue it?

SB your year will be coming that you won't be able to upgrade someday...