Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: how do i go about selling my iPhone 3GS

Question how do i go about selling my iPhone 3GS
    hi guys i got a couple questions see if you can help me better understand how everything works on trying to sell my phone. so right now im "upgrade eligible" with my currnt 3GS through ATT. i put it in ebay a couple days ago and am looking to sell it, then in turn with the money buy the new iphone 4.

how do i go about selling it, do i just take out the sim card and its good to go for somebody else to activate it? or would the phone not be able to be activated by the seller (as its still connected until i do the upgrade)?

im really confused if i just pull the sim out can i sell it? or would my 3GS still be linked to my account/phone number because i havent made the upgrade and switch yet to the iphone 4? i wont be able to switch until the new iphone 4 comes out and i make money from this current one. is it possible to do what im trying to any help would be appreciated. i basically want to sell my 3gs which is still on a contract and upgrade eligible and in turn with the money buy the new iPhone 4 how do i do this.
    Last edited by bobright; 2010-06-09 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Are you trying to sell it as unlocked and jailbroken? What firmware is it on now?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

bobright (2010-06-09)

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Are you trying to sell it as unlocked and jailbroken? What firmware is it on now?
    i have it on ebay right now i might end up pulling the auction before end as i better understand everything, but no basically i just listed it as factory i was thinking of restoring to latest firmware and selling as is. what would be the better thing to do?

the thing i cant quite grasp is that i want to sell this phone and with the money buy the new iphone 4 but if i sell it, technically the phone would still be under a contract until i make the full upgrade wouldnt it? or as long as i pull the sim anybody can activate or do what they like without worrying about a contract? i wont be able to switch service to the new phone until it comes out and the buyer is happy with the 3GS but will pulling the sim be enough

Thanks

The /phone/ is not under contract. You can have any phone as long as you stay with your service plan for the duration of your contract. You didn't answer my question... what firmware are you on now? If you're on 3.1.2 or before you can get more $$ for the phone if you sell it unlocked/jailbroken.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

bobright (2010-06-09)

I am planning on selling my 3GS after I jailbreak and unlock it with iOS4

The /phone/ is not under contract. You can have any phone as long as you stay with your service plan for the duration of your contract.
    ahh ok so i take it as long as i keep paying the bill until i get the new 4 going...i can pull the sim and sell the phone and they wont have any activation or contract issues as that doesnt lie within the "phone"?

You didn't answer my question... what firmware are you on now? If you're on 3.1.2 or before you can get more $$ for the phone if you sell it unlocked/jailbroken.
    right now im jailbroken on 3.1.2 with fw 5.11.07

obviously its jailbroken but im on att so im not sure if its "unlocked" or not, how would i know or what do you suggest? thanks for the help Poseidon
    Last edited by bobright; 2010-06-09 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks

If I was in your position I would build a custom 3.1.3 firmware with sn0wbreeze (windows) or pwnage tool (OSX) and restore to that keeping the baseband at 5.11.07. After that install Blacksn0w from Cydia by adding "www.blackra1n.com" to your sources list. You will then have a clean and up to date 3.1.3 firmware that is unlocked.

If I was in your position I would build a custom 3.1.3 firmware with sn0wbreeze (windows) or pwnage tool (OSX) and restore to that keeping the baseband at 5.11.07. After that install Blacksn0w from Cydia by adding "www.blackra1n.com" to your sources list. You will then have a clean and up to date 3.1.3 firmware that is unlocked.
    right on Poseidon going to look into perhaps doing that right now, for sn0wbreeze could i use this guide from mmi is it up to date and relevant?

How to Jailbreak/Unlock 3.1.3 iPhone 3GS/3G/2G iPod Touch 2G/1G with sn0wbreeze Windows

Thanks

Yes.. absolutely.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

bobright (2010-06-09)

Ok so im on this step and not sure what I should choose in fear of it maybe not letting me go back.

iPhone users sn0wbreeze will ask you if you want the pwnd .IPSW to be activated. If you have your iPhone on a legitament carrier and activate via iTunes click no. If you unlock your phone in order to use it on your carrier click yes.

if i click "no" since im on att for the time being till i ship out, will the phone still be unlocked when i choose to sell it? or do i have to click yes to "unlock" it?
    Last edited by bobright; 2010-06-09 at 09:53 PM.

what about price? How much are these running for if unlocked? I wan't to sell both of mine.

Thanks

You should def let sn0wbreeze activate the phone... since you'll be installing the unlock anyways it won't matter if the end user is a valid carrier or not.. the phone will get service.

As for price... look on eBay and your local craigslist to find out marker value.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

bobright (2010-06-10)

so i went ahead and let sn0wbreeze activate, did everything tried installing blacksn0w but the phone froze. i now cant restart the phone and all i see is a snowflake logo.

is there anyway to get my phone booted up so i can try running blacksn0w again?? or am i forced to restore factory? everything worked right up until i installed blacksnow. shame on me.