Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: (fw 3.1.3) Internet tethering fees?

Default (fw 3.1.3) Internet tethering fees?
    So I recently was forced to update to 3.1.3 on 3gs. Sadly I cannot even tether jailbreak but I noticed that firmware 3.1.3 natively has Internet tethering feature. Does anyone know if AT&T is charging extra for this or is it included with my "unlimited data plan". It would be nice to utilize this feature since I lost my jb.

any information on this would help!

Thanks

did u have it before cuz i think that can carry over if u restored from a backup

Do not think so
    Keithsta

nope, didn't get the chance to try it now, and once turned on, the feature just disappears

It just carries over from a backup
    Keithsta

Not Exactly...

I don't know if anyone noticed in the Seattle area, but before the outage, if you peeked into your network settings, you would have seen the tethering option for 3.1.3 non-jb iPhones.

my take, att is testing it and someone forgot to turn it off..

It doesn't just show up and disappear. The only way to change those settings is through a carrier update. So if you recieved a few different carrier updates, then what you say is plausible. If no updates, then not possible.

I went from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3. My baseband upgraded

I would like to get an expert to weigh in, because I did see the tethering option and after the service outage it was gone. Would AT&T have to push something down or could the iPhone check service features and display them if available? Unless I am halucinating, I did see the tethering option. I recall telling my friend wth did I need jb to tether when it's already there.

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    It doesn't just show up and disappear. The only way to change those settings is through a carrier update. So if you recieved a few different carrier updates, then what you say is plausible. If no updates, then not possible.
    I think I know what I'm talking about. Just saying. I've been in the iPhone game for quite some time. AT&T never pushes OTA carrier updates to iPhone. It's always done, with your consent, in iTunes. And I doubt that they are testing any new profiles in specific markets, as it would be all over the techblogs (there has been no such talk of that)
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

that happened to me once, but it was when i was running the trial edition of MyWi. once i uninstalled it from my phone (cause i wanted to try and find a free way to do it without the 10 buck charge for the app). i noticed it still was in my networking option, but once activated it sat there for a sec my computer tried to connect through it and it vanished. did you by any chance have mywi in your phone at any point before the restore or maybe some other tethering app?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Tethering option showed up on my phone this morning. I've never used mywi and haven't hooked up to iTunes in over a week.
    http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/...t/fd47ba2e.jpg

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/...t/45167b94.jpg

Did you try using it?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just tried, but the option disappeared when I hooked the phone up to the computer...I didn't open iTunes or do anything else. I haven't changed anything since I jailbroke it an hour after Spirit was released, but the option wasn't available then. Why would it just disappear like that without any updates from iTunes?

That is exactly what I saw before the service outage here in Seattle. I knew that I was not seeing things!

Same has happened to me. However, I do have MyWi. What's weird is that after my last restore, I now have the option for native tethering - even without MyWi. It works just fine. I have no idea why it's available for me but it is. 3.1.3 and 5.12.01