Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Just made the switch, not happy so far.

Default Just made the switch, not happy so far.
    I switched my 3G[s], unlocked, 3.0.1 T-Mobile to AT&T. I noticed right away that my sound quality while in calls was terrible. Everyone seemed quieter and like they were talking to me from inside a coffee can. I even put my T-Mobile sim back in to verify and the quality is definately better on T-Mobile. I do know that I can install winterboard and then get the volume boost setting from cydia, but I dont like winterboard

So there is that issue. Next, for whatever reason my phone gets terrible recetpion in my house when 3G is turned on. The second I turn off 3G my recpetion goes to full bars. I can watch my signal goes from 4 to 2 to 3 to 1 bar just sitting there. Its like the signal is changing as the wind blows.

The third issues it battery life. My battery is literally draining at 7-8% an hour just sitting there. Before the phone would be at 97% with minimal texting 2 hours into my work day.

Anyways to try and resolve these issues I restored to a custom 3.1.2 last night and kept everything stock other than that. I didnt install the Stealh ipcc, I installed the AT&T stock ipcc. And have everything off other than 3G. I mean yes, I can turn the 3G radio off if I want to save some battery life and possibly fix recpetion isuues, but then what the heck am I paying $30 a month PER LINE for if im not going to use the 3G... I have sbsettings so I can easily enable/disable 3G but the beauty of 3G is that you can use it during phone calls, and unfortunately if someone calls me and I do not already have my 3g on I will have to end the phone call to enable it.

Can anyone help me with some of these issues? Is anyone else experiencing this stuff?

On the other hand I do like a few things about the service.

-Visual voicemail
    -Happy with 3g speeds at full service
    -Happy with how quicly texts send now
    -Can use 3g while on a phone call

Im just frustrated and looking for help here, I think I may be about to go back to T-Mobile. I havent ported yet, still on temp numbers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

The drop in battery is because now it is jumping back and forth with edge and 3g connection. Battery stays decent in areas where coverage is great but in off areas it will drain it faster because it is always trying to look for the 3g.

Ok so stay off 3G unless I have a good connection? If im on wifi at work does that override the 3G and I dont have to worry about disabling it?

Thanks

Wifi overides 3g yes. Did you go to a ATT store to buy the iPhone? If you can go back and mention the poor 3g service and they may swap out the sim for a new one to see if that makes a difference.

Side Note: If the wifi connections you use are secure, when you set them up in the wifi settings turn off ask to join networks. This is if you use the same networks all the time so when the phone unlocks it does not try to find all the wifi connections around and just direct connects to one in your list of setup ones. This saves battery and time with the message popping up asking what network to join.
    Last edited by Cer0; 2009-10-15 at 03:33 AM.

The sim is 3 days old and no I bought the phone on craigslist because I was using it for T-Mobile. I think ill just get in the habit of disabling wifi and 3G when Im not using it. It takes 2 seconds with sbsettings

Thanks

Sorry I couldn't be much more help. Those were all I had

no prob thank you though

I have the same exact problem. I just switched this past tuesday, and my phone has the same bettery percentage drop just sitting there. I have a 3GS with 3.1.2 trying to figure out what makes my signal go from 1-5 just letting my phone sit there.

My mom gets better battery life with her 3G Unlocked T-Mobile. AND she uses it way more than I do.

Then again I was with family yesterday and my cousin has a 8gb 3G, and she had better service than I did, if she had 5 i had 3. Trying to figure that out too.

Im thinking the sound quality is a figment on your imagination

T-Mobile has great call quality - he's not making it up. It's probably due to the use of 1900mhz.

That said, I think the issues lie in the iPhone 3G S..

Lovely

Not

Quote Originally Posted by iRockish View Post
    I have the same exact problem. I just switched this past tuesday, and my phone has the same bettery percentage drop just sitting there. I have a 3GS with 3.1.2 trying to figure out what makes my signal go from 1-5 just letting my phone sit there.

My mom gets better battery life with her 3G Unlocked T-Mobile. AND she uses it way more than I do.

Then again I was with family yesterday and my cousin has a 8gb 3G, and she had better service than I did, if she had 5 i had 3. Trying to figure that out too.

Yea I just leave 3G enabled all the time now unless I'm getting horrible service, then I shut it down. Using this method I have been getting great battery life and my service is stable. As soon as you get down to 1 bar with 3G enabled, strange things start to happen. Once I shut off the 3G i usually jump up to 3-4 bars on edge and have no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked_tails View Post
    Im thinking the sound quality is a figment on your imagination

Not even close, AT&T sounds horrible. I am trying to find a solution but haven't come up with much. There used to be a hack on cydia waaaay back on 1.1.3 that would max the speaker volume during calls, now you have to use winterboard. Oh well I might have to suck it up and install winterboard.

Well here *knock on wood* I dont have crappy call service, my battery has gotten a little bit better, nothing to report about though, service is somewhat the same, I have SBSettings to switch beween EDGE and 3G.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I prefer edge myself. It is very fast in my neck of the woods and 3G puts the smack down on my battery. Call quality while on 3G is too good in the fact that it picks up EVERYTHING around me through the microphone. Like everything is amplified. When I switch to edge people say that the sound is better.