Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: old blue att sim card with iphone 2g no att wifi

Default old blue att sim card with iphone 2g no att wifi
    long story short. i love my old att plan, but just got an unlocked iphone. not expecting it to be online whenever, but i'd like to walk into a starbucks now and then and be able to go online, like everyone else.

att, however, has put the kibosh on that. i repeatedly get the "no data service" error message anytime i get near an att wifi store/location.

is there anything, short of eliminating the imei (something i won't do) that can eliminate this from happening? again, i am happy with my phone plan now. if i knew this was going to happen, i would have just got an ipod!

thanks...

that shouldnt matter just go in and request a new sim card

Quote Originally Posted by westerman View Post
    that shouldnt matter just go in and request a new sim card
    It's not that simple. ATT no longer issues SIM cards for old ATT plans that are pre-cingular takeover, blue plans I think they are called. To get a SIM for these old plans you need to go to E-Bay. Ironically, the cards are now a fraction of what ATT used to charge when they offered them. You can purchase any unloacked phone that accepts a SIM card and use your old ATT plan, for now.

dmoss74 - I'm looking into getting an unlocked iPhone and just using the wifi option for internet access. Sounds like that did not work for you. Did the phone work to make calls with your old plan? Also, you post sounds like wifi does not work on ATT access points. What about others, like a home server?