Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MMS Problems

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default MMS Problems
    My jailbroken 3GS (still waiting on dev team) is on stealthbravo's 6.0 IPCC and I seem to be able to send mms messages ok but there are two primary problems.

I tested the functionality of mms by attempting to send mms messages to myself and my wife. She has a motorola rokr z6 which doesn't receive my mms messages properly.

First, sending is incredibly slow, sometimes taking up to 5 minutes to send the message.

Second, when I receive a message I sent to myself, I receive he message twice.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the slow sending and receiving two copies of the same message. Any help would be appreciated.

When sending an MMS message mine takes forever and a day. Granted I'm only on Edge as there isn't 3G anywhere around where I live. Are you on a 3G network or Edge? I'd say on average mine takes over minute and as many as three. I hate it when it sits there for two minutes only to fail and I have to try again.

I haven't experienced any of the double messages when sending an MMS to myself.

Thanks

I'm on edge also, we don't have a "G" let alone 3G in Vermont.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Edge = a couple mins. 3G = 15 seconds. Just the way it's gonna be. Sorry.

Secondly, if you only get a double message when you send it to YOURSELF... then why are you complaining? lol

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing the slow sending. I'm pretty sure it's because of the image size. With SwirlyMMS, it defaulted to a lower resolution and sent in seconds. With built-in MMS, it's obviously not so low for a 1500% increase in send time.

P. S. - I did mean 1500% not a typo. Swirly was about 20 seconds; built in app 150 seconds. I don't think my math is right but it's close.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Edge = a couple mins. 3G = 15 seconds. Just the way it's gonna be. Sorry.

Secondly, if you only get a double message when you send it to YOURSELF... then why are you complaining? lol
    Because I think that if I'm receiving two messages where I only sent one, then perhaps people I message would also receive two.

here's my problem, and I'm curious if anyone else is having it. When I get an MMS from someone, I get up to 4 separate messages. 1-Subject text, 2-Picture/Animation, 3-Sound, 4-Body Text. Depending on how and what they sent, each part comes as a new text, so I can't hear the audio and watch the animation at the same time, and further, i can't forward it on. Does anyone know of this or what I can do? I used purplera1n to JB my GS, and am still at 3.0 FW.

iPhone? More like MyPhone yentrog31's Avatar
    Thanks

Im not sure but I think that is an AT&T issue...for every message they get .20/.30 or it counts against your message plan.So a reg phone you send a MMS and it goes thru as 1..but ATT splits it up to fleece us.....imo.....secondly..I have stealth 6.0 on 3gs 3.0.1 and all was well for a while..now my SMS gets to 90% and then the red deny mark..anybody else?

LOL! That makes sense to me. I just found out that I can multi select the picure and text to forward as one message, but not an animation and sound. I'd still like to hear the audio and watch the animations at the same time instead of receiving two messages, and be able to send these along, I'm just wondering if it is because of the FW version, the JB, or what I coul do.

Your SMS is getting to 90, or MMS? I'm not having any problems sending SMS, but not on stealth. On a side note, how would I know what ipcc/version I am on. A friend who knew all about JBing sent me the ipcc.
    Last edited by Crafty42; 2009-10-08 at 04:59 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone yentrog31's Avatar
    Thanks

was getting 90% on Stealth 6.0...I upgraded to 5.5 and now it works perfectly..go figure!.I think ATT is playing games...good luck all!

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty42 View Post
    LOL! That makes sense to me. I just found out that I can multi select the picure and text to forward as one message, but not an animation and sound. I'd still like to hear the audio and watch the animations at the same time instead of receiving two messages, and be able to send these along, I'm just wondering if it is because of the FW version, the JB, or what I coul do.

Your SMS is getting to 90, or MMS? I'm not having any problems sending SMS, but not on stealth. On a side note, how would I know what ipcc/version I am on. A friend who knew all about JBing sent me the ipcc.
    go to settings>general>about>,,your version is your firmware and below that is your carrier..Im on 5.5 now which works fine...for now anyway...good luck!
    Last edited by yentrog31; 2009-10-08 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Ok, guess I'm on 5.0 then. How hard is it to change the ipcc version to 5.5 or 5.6 and back if I need?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty42 View Post
    Ok, guess I'm on 5.0 then. How hard is it to change the ipcc version to 5.5 or 5.6 and back if I need?
    It's really easy. There are post all over the place that show how to enter a command prompt code that will allow iTunes to access the carrier update ipcc file. Once you have done that, you can press shift-restore (windows) or similar in Mac when in itunes and you will be able to select the configuration files. Select the ipcc file and it takes seconds to update.

Thanks, but is it just as easy to go back to 5.0? I need to do more research and see what's gained/lost by going up. Heard Tethering won't work with some versions, etc, etc. Now I'm debating on updating to 3.1.2 and using blackra1n, but waiting for the results. :-) I'm just too knew to all of this, I need to do some reading up and learn. If I JBed using purplera1n on 3.0...will I be basically starting from scratch going to 3.1.2 and re-JBing the phone, or will I be able to get all my apps, settings, etc back easily?

Thx!

Thanks

If you upgrade to 3.1 or 3.1.2 now, you are most likely not going to be able to tether regardless of which ipcc you use. I say most likely because one person on MMi claims to be tethering while on 3.1.2. But he/she also claims to be unsure of what was doone to enable tethering.

For the most part, I don't think it will make much of a difference which ipc you use.

For restoring, use pkgbackup to first backup and later restore info.

I am jailbroken with blackra1n, restored everything with pkgbackup and this was the easiest jailbreak restore I have ever done.

Good luck and keep in mind, there's normally a fix for anything you can do to the phone.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to twitchthecat For This Useful Post:

Crafty42 (2009-10-13)

Thanks. I just may. I know there are fixes, but being only 3 months old in the iPhone and JB, I'm a little new to it all. I still have so much to learn about carrier settings, and everything that goes into this. A friend that has had all the iphones and is more tech savvy than me (though I'm no slouch) gave me all the help to get it done when I came over to AT&T and the iPhone. I love it, but I've read stories about problems downgrading back. Mostly I'm curious if I'll be starting new and have to re-install all my apps, and reset up the winterboard and lockinfo, etc. Tethering is another thing I do not want to lose, though I haven't used it yet, I like that I have that option. I do need to give it a try just to see if it's working now...