Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wireless data plans and the iPhone

Question Wireless data plans and the iPhone
    I have a 1st gen iPhone that's currently on a normal iPhone plan. I got a wireless data card for my Mac and I'm looking to be able to use it with my current account. Right now it won't connect because I believe the iPhone data plan isn't compatible with wireless cards. I'm wondering if anyone has switched the data plan on their iPhone to allow them to use a wireless card and if doing so still allows the iPhone data access.

Thats not possible. You cant switch the sim out to have data work on the card and or the data card it one or the other

Quote Originally Posted by westerman View Post
    Thats not possible. You cant switch the sim out to have data work on the card and or the data card it one or the other
    I don't think that's true. I know a number of people that have data service on their phone plan (Blackberry and HTC Touch) that can pull their SIM out of their phone, throw it in the data card and be off and running.

Other question would be, can I just add data to my plan and have it on another SIM card I have?

Once again no and the data card has a imei and when att catches you with that sim in that data card you will see a huge phone bill. I have seen the bills before and lets just say your credit will probably suck for a while.

Thanks

Its just a matter of getting the APN settings correct - check with yr carrier.
    AT&T do not care what type of unit you use. No matter what plan.

Does not make sense to use a "normal" DATA less phone plan on a PC/MAC WAN card - it works, BUT!!! be careful - just as WESTERMAN points out - running DATA on a "normal" plan gets real ugly expensive real quick.
    Last edited by sursture; 2009-09-21 at 04:31 AM.
    Do hope that helps

**uoʇʇnq sʞuɐɥʇ ǝɥʇ ʇıɥ puɐ puıʞ ǝq noʎ pǝdןǝɥ sɐɥ ǝuoǝɯos ɟı**