Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ATT Require Data Plan - Help!

Default ATT Require Data Plan - Help!
    My g/f uses an iPhone 3G without a data plan. She just never used it for its data features and likes it better for the use and apps. I jailbroke the phone and disabled data and she has been fine using it for months until recently the AT&T tracker found her phone without data plan on the account.

I called AT&T and tried to convince them that she uses the iPhone for school on wifi only and then switches back to her blackjack after hours. She said they could do nothing for my exception.

I've been reading that we might be able to change the IMEI number on the iPhone to her blackjack and that will get AT&T off our trail as it will look like shes using her blackjack on their network instead. Has anyone done this successfully and how? or is there something else I can do to get AT&T to back off about the data plan restriction?

Thanks for any help!

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaxRabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

...If you didn't sign a contract for data, they can't make you get it! And you technically do have a data plan-pay as you go. If you'd start using data, you'll start being charged for it. So I don't understand... Fight it?!

I've received a message from ATT twice now stating that I didn't have an iphone data plan and I needed to call them to resolve it by Sept. 14th. I first received it about a month ago and got it again today.

I ignored it and will probably do the same again thinking they are just fishing. I'm on a $29.99 data plan, just not the Iphone data plan. I made this change about 5 months ago when I finally got mms working. I basically convinced the guy on the phone that I wasn't going to use my iphone anymore because not having MMS sucked. I told him to change it in all there systems that it wasn't an iphone.

Anyway, I'm afraid if I call them they'll be clued in to my account more and I'll lose MMS again....

So, for now, I'm going to ignore it again. 9/14 is just around the corner so I guess I'll find out then what's going on.

I wonder if that's their internal date when the rest of the iphone world will be able to do MMS as long as they pay a bunch more to ATT....

I'm guessing they will block us out like they did with the Tmobile users that were on sidekick plans. They won't force us into a different plan but we wont be able to use the data anymore on our Iphones. Hopefully someone figures out a work around. But from what I've read on the Tmobile threads they still haven't found a work around for them yet.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

AT&T will detect it and placed the feature on the account automatically. Everytime the phone is on and your moving your phone automatically registers with the towers. The tower gets your IMEI number and that's how they know what phone you are using. Sooner or later it always comes back to you.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gQstatus05 For This Useful Post:

imvyme82 (2009-09-20)

There is NO ONE that has ever mentioned in this forum that ATT changed their plan on them! Do you work for ATT or something? The best they can do is block iphones from using non-iphone data plans like Tmobile did.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to techierob For This Useful Post:

imvyme82 (2009-09-20)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Starting September 6 AT&T requires a data plan for smartphones purchased. They will add the AT&T iPhone data plan to the account to avoid data charges on your part. As part of Apple and AT&T's agreement it is a requirement for the data plan. Yes I work for AT&T.
    Last edited by gQstatus05; 2009-09-11 at 02:28 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

gQ knows his stuff.........
    @gQ whats up bro.....Hows the baby?.
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Baby is good. I'm sleep deprived but all in all I'm doing fine and you?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gQstatus05 For This Useful Post:

imvyme82 (2009-09-20)

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

Im great bro....It's SO worth it man.Besides sleep is over rated..
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy

Quote Originally Posted by gQstatus05 View Post
    Starting September 6 AT&T requires a data plan for smartphones purchased. They will add the AT&T iPhone data plan to the account to avoid data charges on your part. As part of Apple and AT&T's agreement it is a requirement for the data plan. Yes I work for AT&T.
    Smart phones purchased??? Is that what we were talking about? or current users? This is a modding forum not a forum to scare people in to believing non-truths. Sept 6th has passed and I still have a non-iphone data plan that still works fine.(guess how long I've used this plan? A LONG TIME!!) Ok lets open this up for anyone to speak up that uses an Iphone with out a data plan. Did it get added? I wish we could throw a couple bucks down on a table right now. You'd be buying me and the little lady dinner tonight...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L00i3 View Post
    Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices including iPhone and other designated Smartphones and PDA's. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using iPhone or other designated Smartphone or PDA without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee. Use of iPhone 3G to access corporate email, company intranet sites, and/or other business applications requires an Enterprise Data Plan for iPhone. For applicable rates, terms and conditions, see AT&T Business Plans for iPhone 3G brochure.

Link to Source PLAN TERMS | AT&T
    Looks like you and the old lady owe me dinner. Would you prefer paypal instead?

Looks like we'll have to go dutch on this one for now.

This is under a picture of the Iphone 3g that I'm using.

Mobile Web Packages Bundled Features PRICE TEXT DATA SELECT
    Web Users Data Unlimited
    AT&T Recommends $15.00 N/A Unlimited Current
    I no longer want to add this feature $0.00 --- --- No Thanks

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

18. The Following User Says Thank You to gQstatus05 For This Useful Post:

imvyme82 (2009-09-20)

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaxRabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

Any news on the required upgrade by September 14th that was going around on the text messages? Did AT&T do anything?

I got two of the warning texts last month. Just checked to make sure my phone is still able to use Safari etc and it works fine. Just went to my online acct. and nothing has changed so far. But lets hear from other also. I put my sim in my RAZR for the day yesterday just in case ATT did the final checking one last time on Sept 14th.

Spoke to a buddy of mine at AT&T and asked him about this. It looks like on my account, the iPhone data plan was automatically put onto my account in a waiting status and would automatically activate on Sept. 14th. I ended up just having him add it for my gf cause it gave him a commission boost. Oh well..

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Hate to say I told you so.

Quote Originally Posted by gQstatus05 View Post
    Hate to say I told you so.
    Why?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

... Read the thread in its entirety and your question will be answered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast