Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T giving me problems with my unlocked iphone

Default AT&T giving me problems with my unlocked iphone
    I got my iphone last year, unlocked/jailbroke it, and have been using it in place of my razr with no data since then and it has worked perfectly. I am almost always by wifi so I just didnt need or want to pay for the data.

I get a text a couple weeks ago saying you must call us and get data on your iphone by sept or else... So I am ok with that, Ill just pay the extra $20 a month. I call AT&T and the cheapest option they have for data for the 2G is $45 A MONTH!!! They claimed the $20 plan is no longer available.

My question is, what will they do if I just keep using my iphone without the plan? AT&T has my phone number associated with only a razr and not an iphone. Will they just randomly start billing me more? Cut off my phone? Any ideas?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Go into a store. The $20 plan is still available. The data option for 3G phones is only $30 a month so who ever you spoke with is misinformed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

bonehead848 (2009-09-02)

The thing that is weird is that even a supervisor told me it wasnt available.

I really dont need the data anyways, can they do anything if I just keep using with wifi only?

Data is a must have so you will get the charge for it on your blll no matter if you use it or not. But with the 2g you are fine with the 20 data for it just go in store and get it hooked up if you dont already have it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

bonehead848 (2009-09-02)

If you dont care about the data, switch to tmobile, you be able use mms in the txt plan.

well poseidon you were right, quick trip up to att and they hooked me up with the $20 plan in about 2 minutes. Thanks for the help, I never would have thought it would be different instore than calling.

Can't trust them representatives sometimes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead848 View Post
    I got my iphone last year, unlocked/jailbroke it, and have been using it in place of my razr with no data since then and it has worked perfectly. I am almost always by wifi so I just didnt need or want to pay for the data.

I get a text a couple weeks ago saying you must call us and get data on your iphone by sept or else... So I am ok with that, Ill just pay the extra $20 a month. I call AT&T and the cheapest option they have for data for the 2G is $45 A MONTH!!! They claimed the $20 plan is no longer available.

My question is, what will they do if I just keep using my iphone without the plan? AT&T has my phone number associated with only a razr and not an iphone. Will they just randomly start billing me more? Cut off my phone? Any ideas?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post
    NO NO - AT&T will NOT refuse to let you stay on a "DATA FREE" plan.
    Actually - they just want to intimidate you with the Text sent.
    Just contact AT&T and request to BLOCK DATA on yr current plan and IF they ask - just say you bought the iPhone in Hong Kong (they are available unblocked there).
    I did that so I DO know!

Also check relevant posts I did here: how-do-i-completely-disable-data-my-iphone
    Last edited by sursture; 2009-09-02 at 06:35 PM.
    Do hope that helps

**uoʇʇnq sʞuɐɥʇ ǝɥʇ ʇıɥ puɐ puıʞ ǝq noʎ pǝdןǝɥ sɐɥ ǝuoǝɯos ɟı**

Thanks
    Yea the iphone is always transfering data. All that they would do is start charging you more for the data that you use.

All else fails, Just click the thank button!

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead848 View Post
    well poseidon you were right, quick trip up to att and they hooked me up with the $20 plan in about 2 minutes. Thanks for the help, I never would have thought it would be different instore than calling.
    You just got dooped in to paying more! And the Iphone will NOT transfer data if you don't have a data plan! It'll just say you aren't subscribed to a data plan when accessing google maps or safari or etc! Sorry bro.. enjoy paying more now!