Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T early termination for second line.. question

Default AT&T early termination for second line.. question
    I'm planning on buying a 3gs phone for a "second line" on my account to be able to get it for a subsidized price. Immediately after, I want to cancel my first line (currently a 3G iphone). I don't mind paying the early termination fee, but will I run into any problems doing this? I've never had to cancel a contract on a mutli-phone plan. Will they have to cancel the whole account (both lines) or will they just deactivate my first line, charge me the fee and continue along as if I essentially bought a 3gs?

Is it possible to keep my current phone number in doing this? or will I be forced to use the new number for the second line?

thanks
    Last edited by qwerty30; 2009-08-19 at 03:30 AM.

You'll have to use the new # with the second line. You cant port the number to a different contract. Only swap the phone.

And if you search this question has been asked/answered a thousand times on here.

if you dont mind paying an early termination fee, what's stopping you from getting the phone on a second line and then canceling the same line after a month and keep the 3gs? That way you can keep the same number and have the 3gs at a subsidized price.

I've had to go through something similar to this. I'm not sure how much longer you have before your contract runs out, but I found it more cost effective to keep the account until the contract expired rather than waste the money on early termination fee. of course if your contact still has 1.5yrs to go, canceling would be more cost effective.