Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GoPhone Pick Your Plan Questions.

Default GoPhone Pick Your Plan Questions.
    Say I sign up for the $39.99/month goPhone PYP plan. Will I then be able to call ATT and tell them I have an iPhone and get the $20/month unlimited data for my iPhone 2G, or will I have to get the MEdiaNet 100mb plan. Also, if I do get the iPhone data plan, does that $20 come from the $40 I give them for the PYP?

Thanks

I have experience with what your doing. Set up the gophone plan with the handset you got with gophone sim then remove the sim and insert into your 2G. They will only advise you to pay a premium service for using the iphone on prepay. Reason is they stopped iphone on prepay. You would not even be able to activate and unlock your iphone thru itunes with a att gophone sim or any att prepay sim! Internet usage would be deducted from your balance per use with a message update on the iphone screen! After u setup with the gophone handset with the plan your thinking about and then insert into your iphone. Att will never call or change your plan. All they want is payment since its prepay. They know you have an iphone from the iei serial for iphone being used. They don't care afterwards.
    Last edited by mikerlx; 2009-08-14 at 03:40 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
    Say I sign up for the $39.99/month goPhone PYP plan. Will I then be able to call ATT and tell them I have an iPhone and get the $20/month unlimited data for my iPhone 2G, or will I have to get the MEdiaNet 100mb plan. Also, if I do get the iPhone data plan, does that $20 come from the $40 I give them for the PYP?
    You should be able to get the iPhone plan if you're on PYP if you contact CS about it. YMMV though.

As for the data plan itself, no it does not come out of the $40 for the voice plan. It's added on to the monthly charge, so your monthly payment by credit/debit/check would increase to $60+taxes (messaging plans also increase monthly payments).
    If you decide to go PPU (PayPerUse) for data, that will deduct from your available balance as it would for calls.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 2009-08-14 at 05:32 AM.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

So GenesisDH, since it seems like you have recently become my main source for iPhone plan info, I have another couple questions...

Could I set up the prepaid account for an iPhone 2G data, then switch that card to my 3G iPhone? I know you mentioned you did this in the past. And if I did do that... what speed data did you get? Were you getting any faster than EDGE? I know you guys mentioned this on the PYP but would any of the PAYG data plans work for prepaid data on iphone 3G? I think you forgot to mention in the other threads about the 100MB prepaid data plan I asked you about...

Keep me posted...
    Last edited by bbaskety; 2009-08-14 at 05:41 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bbaskety View Post
    Could I set up the prepaid account for an iPhone 2G data, then switch that card to my 3G iPhone? I know you mentioned you did this in the past. And if I did do that... what speed data did you get? Were you getting any faster than EDGE?
    You could, but it's considered against AT&T's rules (official answer: no 3G/S on GoPhone). It does work pretty well speedwise, as does with any 3G phone... but YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbaskety View Post
    I know you guys mentioned this on the PYP but would any of the PAYG data plans work for prepaid data on iphone 3G? I think you forgot to mention in the other threads about the 100MB prepaid data plan I asked you about...
    Sorry, I must have missed that.
    Yes, it'll technically work if you do the APN changing mentioned in the other thread (see 'official answer' mentioned in previous question). But, there's no guarantee those plans will always work with the iPhone (modified APN settings may not work after 3.1 hits the streets, AT&T blocking ports, etc). Also, AT&T could pull those data features off the market at any time... but they will let you have it until it expires on your account.

So, basically, the cheapest I could get would be $50/month ($30 PYP + $20 iPhone Data Unlimited)? Right now, I have Pay-as-you-go, not PYP, so I would just have to switch over to PYP then call 611 and tell them I got a text message saying I need the iPhone data plan, and they should give me the $20 plan, right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
    So, basically, the cheapest I could get would be $50/month ($30 PYP + $20 iPhone Data Unlimited)? Right now, I have Pay-as-you-go, not PYP, so I would just have to switch over to PYP then call 611 and tell them I got a text message saying I need the iPhone data plan, and they should give me the $20 plan, right?
    Yeah, that should work; YMMV though.

ADDENDUM: Make sure you do the swap to PYP and the addition of the iPhone plan before you make your first monthly payment. Otherwise you'll be waiting a month before the iPhone plan will take effect.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 2009-08-17 at 12:37 AM.

I don't understand how you guys are doing this? I have an iphone 3g with pyp and everytime I call customer service they tell me I can't add data, that the plan just doesn't exist.

Thanks

The plan, from what I heard recently, is no longer offered to iPhone users. This info you brought up was valid at the time (early-mid Aug) but apparently isn't true now.
    Also, a 3G-capable iPhone is not officially supported by at&t w/ GoPhone. That's why they tell you no data plan exists for that phone.

You can 'workaround' and add the 100MB plan (if you change the APN and add it via the voice prompts on 611), but that's the most one can get w/ PYP now.

ADDENDUM: unless one aquires an account w/ a grandfathered unlimited data plan
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 2009-11-01 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    You can 'workaround' and add the 100MB plan (if you change the APN and add it via the voice prompts on 611), but that's the most one can get w/ PYP now.

ADDENDUM: unless one aquires an account w/ a grandfathered unlimited data plan
    just to clariy, this really isn't a workaround since changing the apn still doesn't get you more than 100mb dta right? I can blow through 100mb in an hour lol. Gets expensive pretty quick. (unusable really)

Sounds like you're going to have to come over to the darkside.

Gophone 100mb data is throttled down to near Edge speeds anyhow.

Lovely

Not

So what is the final verdict?? I have an iphone 3G version 3.0 that i use out of the country as well as in. I fly in to the states every 4 months or so. I am currently on the pay as you go plan ($3 a day unlimited) and I only use it when Im in the states. I was able to use it with out any problems in August, 09... Will I still be able to use it this December when I come back for the holidays, even if I switch to $60 unlimited talk/text???? Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by Med5; 2009-11-05 at 03:11 PM.

yes, mine is working fine on the prepaid plans (it's jailbroken and will accept any sim even if it's married.) however data will not work.

Data will work if you payed for it. wap.cingular is the APN.

Lovely

Not

Quote Originally Posted by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL View Post
    Data will work if you payed for it. wap.cingular is the APN.
    If you want to pay 19.99 per 100mb YouTube video, then yeah data will work. But for all intensive purposes, no. It Wont.

I've done my research, thereis absolutely no way to get reasonable data on The iPhone without paying for a 2 year subscription or switching to tmobile.

You said no way, there is a way with a 100mb allowance.. not everyone needs that much data. And honestly if you're not using data what's the point of staying with AT&T? All I can think of is not getting T-Mobile coverage where you live. Because T-Mobile Even More Plus is a much better option than GoPhone.

Lovely

Not

Back in June, I activated an old Samsung phone and then immediately placed that sim in my iPhone. I've been using it this was ever since with no problems. Towards the end of September, I got an SMS from AT&T telling me that the MediaNet Unlimited was only $19.99 and I called up and told the lady about the SMS and that I wanted to add the unlimited MediaNet plan on. She said no problem and added it on. I've been using that too now with no problems.

I know that AT&T is not offering the unlimited MediaNet deal to the public other than those who they sent that SMS too because many have tried getting it added on and have been told AT&T doesn't offer it. I've used it quite a bit lately, downloading music, tethering and using it for my XM app. I think the unlimited is in a test phase or something to see how people use it.