Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone with Data/Messaging Only Options

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about all that, I've had a non-iPhone plan for months and never recieved anything from AT&T about changing plans.

So I went ahead and got the PDA Personal Plan. Everything is working perfectly with what seems like 3G speed. I will be monitoring my data usage for this first month to see if I want to throttle back to a prepaid plan with the 100MB of data instead. I will def keep everyone posted on any AT&T messages suggesting I change plans.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I stole this from another person on another forum...but you can see that ATT does know...now what they do next is a mystery..however, the words BY SEPT 14 doesnt sound good.

well if that is the case then I will cancel it after the first month which would put me close to that sept 14th date anyway... Thanks for the heads up...

I just got an ATT SIM card via FedEx after calling ATT and asking to sign up for a PDA personal plan. Can I just stick it into my iPhone, or do I have to call them up to activate it? Will they ask me for the IMEI if I do?

Did they already activate it before they sent it? If not, you will have to call and activate it and they will ask for an IMEI so it would be good to have one off another smartphone to give them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bbaskety For This Useful Post:

Min (2009-08-19)

Quote Originally Posted by bbaskety View Post
    Did they already activate it before they sent it? If not, you will have to call and activate it and they will ask for an IMEI so it would be good to have one off another smartphone to give them.
    Cool, thanks. I called and activated using a completely automated system. My iPhone shows that it's connected to 3G now, but I can't seem to connect to the internet (Says that I don't have an internet connection). I can receive official text messages from ATT fine, so at least the connection seems to be there. Are there any special APN settings I have to use?

Note: now it's telling me that it "Could not activate cellular data network: You are not subscribed to a cellular data service" in Safari.

Also, even though I signed up for PDA Personal over the phone, on the online account management page, it says my rate plan is "PDA Connect Including Unlimited MB." Is this how it's supposed to show up, or do others have it as PDA Personal?

Update: I tried calling AT&T to see if a mistake had been made regarding my plan, but they told me that it was PDA Personal. But still getting no internet service...
    Last edited by Min; 2009-08-20 at 03:09 AM. Reason: More information

Green Apple
    Thanks

call me nuts, but i dont think i would try this till after the Sept 14th comes around and see what ATT is going to do.

You might be opening up a can of worms when in 3 weeks, whatever ATT is planning on doing they going to do.

I believe there is a way for them to tell you using that ipHone and that you need the plan or your internet will not work.

There might be a way for you to create a profile and use that, however, im not sure how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Min View Post
    Cool, thanks. I called and activated using a completely automated system. My iPhone shows that it's connected to 3G now, but I can't seem to connect to the internet (Says that I don't have an internet connection). I can receive official text messages from ATT fine, so at least the connection seems to be there. Are there any special APN settings I have to use?

Note: now it's telling me that it "Could not activate cellular data network: You are not subscribed to a cellular data service" in Safari.

Also, even though I signed up for PDA Personal over the phone, on the online account management page, it says my rate plan is "PDA Connect Including Unlimited MB." Is this how it's supposed to show up, or do others have it as PDA Personal?

Update: I tried calling AT&T to see if a mistake had been made regarding my plan, but they told me that it was PDA Personal. But still getting no internet service...
    Go to Unlockit.co.nz on the iphone browser while on wifi and setup the ATT profile from the drop down list. reboot the phone and you should be good...

Thanks, but I still got the same error.

I'm about to bite the bullet and just buy an iPhone 3GS, and sell off my iPhone 3G. It'll cost a bit more, and I hate the thought of giving money to Apple, but at this point, I don't want to risk paying $73 for a month of service that doesn't work.

Just to be safe since I received the ATT wrong plan message also. I put my SIM back in to the RAZR. Probably leave it there for a day. I did a few calls and text messages to make sure the Iphone stuff was cleared off of wireless.att.com (ACCOUNT) and then I noticed that there is a 30 dollars all you can eat data and text messages. I clicked on it and it gave me a message that I needed to remove ( WTBL Restricted IPN $0.00 ) So I did a few googles on it. and apparently that is the flag for sending the NON-Iphone plan messages to Iphone users. So I excepted the new plan and had it romove " WTBL Restricted IPN " So long story short I think I maybe have found a work around if they shut us down on NON-Iphone plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Min View Post
    Thanks, but I still got the same error.

I'm about to bite the bullet and just buy an iPhone 3GS, and sell off my iPhone 3G. It'll cost a bit more, and I hate the thought of giving money to Apple, but at this point, I don't want to risk paying $73 for a month of service that doesn't work.
    Put in a T-mobile sim temporarly and it will allow for APN changes. enter wap.cingular in the first field of each box and you are good to go. Let us know. Once done changing your APN you can put back in your ATT SIM. We'll get it worked out for you. This is what this forum is all about.
    Last edited by techierob; 2009-09-14 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12