Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Clear up on Iphone data with At&t

Default Clear up on Iphone data with At&t
    I see a lot of questions about At&t and Iphone data so I thought I would just clear this all up...

Can I have an iphone without data on At&t?
    No you must have data AT&t will find out...

Can I use my family plan data?
    Yes on the 2g iphones
    No on the 3g and 3gs they require the 30 dollar iphone data...

Can I use pay as you go plans with my Iphone?
    Yes with 2g not with 3g and 3gs.

Is there a bundle price for data and messaging for my 3g?
    No 30 dollar data 20 for unlimited text.

If I jailbreak and unlock my iphone do I have to have data?
    Yes

One more thing if you think you are smarter than att and you are getting away with a 15-20 dollar data on a 3g or 3gs just wait.. You will first get a warning to change your plan if you do not be prepared for 500+ phone bill. Yes you might get away with it for one two maybe even six months but you will get caught so please just get the right data plan for your phone. As smart as you might think you are apple and At&t are smarter.....

If there is anything I missing or you have a question that I have not answered let me know..
    Last edited by Cowboy; 2009-08-12 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ I just hope people will read it

Lol me too. to many people ask the same question

Thanks

You are right and wrong. If you go by TOS then you are correct. In the real world yes you can have an iPhone on AT&T without data, I've seen it done. I'm not talking temporarily either, this has been months it's been months. One guys account is phone only(data and messaging blocked by AT&T), I'd say bs too but it's true. I have had mine on a non-iPhone account since I bought my second 3g.

Medianet and messaging unlimited is what I have.($30 bundle)
    Last edited by A3gOwner; 2009-08-12 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by westerman View Post
    I see a lot of questions about At&t and Iphone data so I thought I would just clear this all up...

No you must have data AT&t will find out...

Yes on the 2g iphones
    No on the 3g and 3gs they require the 30 dollar iphone data...

No 30 dollar data 20 for unlimited text.

Yes

If there is anything I missing or you have a question that I have not answered let me know..
    Almost everybit of this is incorrect.

Yes, I gave my Aunt an old iPhone, popped her sim in that has no data plan, and it's been working at least 2 months. However, she has no visual voice mail and no edge or 3G data at all.

Not sure on this, as I didn't want to get dinged up with overages I added iPhone data plans.

Yes with 2g not with 3g and 3gs. - I believe this is accurate though no personal experience with this

There is such a plan, however, you must be grandfathered in on a 2G plan and get around them upgrading to a 3G. I did this for several months, however, AT&T did send me an email every month telling me I had the wrong plan and that I would have a huge phone bill if I didn't change it but the price never went up and overages never showed up.

No. You can jailbreak with redsn0w or the like, no data required. Then if you can find a way to get .deb files to your phone you can install everything manually with those but seriously it's much easier just to have a Wifi or Edge/3G connection to install stuff with.

This information was all gained through personal experience. I don't know why people talk about stuff they don't know anything about.
    Last edited by BrandonG777; 2009-08-12 at 01:56 PM.

You are right and wrong. If you go by TOS then you are correct. In the real world yes you can have an iPhone on AT&T without data, I've seen it done. I'm not talking temporarily either, this has been months it's been months. One guys account is phone only(data and messaging blocked by AT&T), I'd say bs too but it's true. I have had mine on a non-iPhone account since I bought my second 3g.

Medianet and messaging unlimited is what I have.($30 bundle)

Than you have slid under the radar some how because there is no bundle with the 3g or 3gs.

most everybit of this is incorrect.< yet almost everything i said was....

Yes, I gave my Aunt an old iPhone, popped her sim in that has no data plan, and it's been working at least 2 months. However, she has no visual voice mail and no edge or 3G data at all. ^Asoon as she plugs it into itunes she will have to get data or it will show up on her bill soon trust me....

Not sure on this, as I didn't want to get dinged up with overages I added iPhone data plans.
    ^^^^^^^
    once again the answer is no!!!!

Yes with 2g not with 3g and 3gs. - I believe this is accurate though no personal experience with this<it is correct

There is such a plan, however, you must be grandfathered in on a 2G plan and get around them upgrading to a 3G. I did this for several months, however, AT&T did send me an email every month telling me I had the wrong plan and that I would have a huge phone bill if I didn't change it but the price never went up and overages never showed up.
    ^^^^^
    you got caught just like your aunt will if she doesnt add the daata

No. You can jailbreak with redsn0w or the like, no data required. Then if you can find a way to get .deb files to your phone you can install everything manually with those but seriously it's much easier just to have a Wifi or Edge/3G connection to install stuff with.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    I didnt know this so thanks for the clear up....

This information was all gained through personal experience. I don't know why people talk about stuff they don't know anything about.

But please dont come in here saying i dont know what i am talking about because i in fact do...
    Last edited by Cowboy; 2009-08-12 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

So let me clarify for my own knowledge. Is there anyway, under any circumstance that I could have an iphone on the PDA Personal Data only plan as seen on this link on my iphone 3g:

[url= http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pda-personal-plans.jsp ]

Right now I do not have a current contract with any company as T-mobile just started cracking down on iphone users using the Sidekick plan. I was looking to take over the last couple months of someone's contract that is trying to get out then change the plan to this data only plan. Please let me know if this could work... Thx!
    Last edited by bbaskety; 2009-08-12 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks

There is no radar to slide under. Yes you can have iPhone on family plan say no all you want but you can. I agree that most of what OP posted was not true but didn't want to say it. On a side note I'm using a 3gs on the acount(medianet). I also have two 3g that were at one time also used on account as well.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default Clarification of PAYG vs. PYP
    Quote Originally Posted by westerman View Post
    AT&T's official answer is 'No' to any 'Pay As You Go' plan with iPhone.

'Pick Your Plan,' the other type of GoPhone, is a different story with 'Yes' for 2G, 'No' for 3G/S.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

For anyone that thinks that they can get data blocked, as of this writing, you cannot. I don't care what your aunt's sister's boyfriend did, it cannot happen anymore. Simple as that. This is due to a change in the ToS and the fact that AT&T has bots that search for, and correct, inconsistencies within your account. So anyone who signs a new agreement definitely cannot, and now the reps are not able to block data at all for iPhone or Blackberry

The last question, about requiring data, is very vague.

Does the iPhone require data to work?

No.

If you jailbreak it, do you need data for the device to work?

No, just realize that any app that requires data wI'll not work properly.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

I thought you could download bossprefs and turn edge off if you have a 1st gen and be able to block data? Is that not the case anymore?

I'm confused as to why you would want to block data? I think I am just missing the point of doing that...

Thanks

^They mean use iPhone without a data plan and having AT&T block data on thier end.
    imahottguy.. have you tried to get data blocked and use your iPhone on the account?

They want cheaper plans is more than likely the case.
    Last edited by A3gOwner; 2009-08-16 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by bbaskety View Post
    I'm confused as to why you would want to block data? I think I am just missing the point of doing that...
    For college kids that cant afford a 20-30 dollar data plan every month. Why would I need a data plan when the university supplies constant, free wifi also?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by okstate34 View Post
    For college kids that cant afford a 20-30 dollar data plan every month. Why would I need a data plan when the university supplies constant, free wifi also?
    Most college students aren't usually any poorer than most anybody else, especially if they aren't paying for school themselves (financial aid, scholarships, etc). Trust me, I've seen my share...

Plus, if they have wifi a ton of the time, why can't they just buy a iTouch 2G, a cheap headset w/ mic and use Skype for $30/year for unlimited calling (and have it call forward to a home, work, or prepaid cell phone when away from wifi)? Look how much money one would save doing that vs. buying an iPhone.

A requirement is a requirement for a reason, even if you think it's not a good reason. Would you risk driving without insurance, a not cheap requirement to use a vehicle legally? No, because if you get caught you're looking at jail time or steep fines.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 2009-08-17 at 02:31 AM. Reason: typo
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    Most college students aren't usually any poorer than most anybody else, especially if they aren't paying for school themselves (financial aid, scholarships, etc). Trust me, I've seen my share...

Plus, if they have wifi a ton of the time, why can't they just buy a iTouch 2G, a cheap headset w/ mic and use Skype for $30/year for unlimited calling (and have it call forward to a home, work, or prepaid cell phone when away from wifi)? Look how much money one would save doing that vs. buying an iPhone.

A requirement is a requirement for a reason, even if you think it's not a good reason. Would you risk driving without insurance, a not cheap requirement to use a vehicle legally? No, because if you get caught you're looking at jail time or steep fines.
    Holy hell man insurance plans and data plans are on two separate playing fields, how you can even compare those is beyond me. One IS a requirement and a United States law. The other one is not illegal and can be side-stepped for economic purposes...wow. I have an Ipod Touch, it is used to play music and watch videos solely, why would I not want an iPhone, I like the way it looks and the ease of texting for it (which I do often). I have heard of methods using bossprefs to simply turn off edge and it will block all data for you. I just wanted an answer to the question.

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    AT&T's official answer is 'No' to any 'Pay As You Go' plan with iPhone.

'Pick Your Plan,' the other type of GoPhone, is a different story with 'Yes' for 2G, 'No' for 3G/S.
    I have been using pay as you go on the 2G and now a 3G for quite sometime now. Your right though, ask any AT&T rep and they will tell you no, but the phone/data/messaging actually work quite well on pay as you go, with the lack of a high phone bill.

Am I getting smart with you? How would you know?

Hi Travis T80...

could you tell me how you got your iphone on the PAYG plan? Do you have unlimited data or just the 100MB? I would maybe consider doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
    ^They mean use iPhone without a data plan and having AT&T block data on thier end.
    imahottguy.. have you tried to get data blocked and use your iPhone on the account?

They want cheaper plans is more than likely the case.

I have. As a matter of fact, I had data blocked on my Fiances 1st Gen iPhone for a while, but then the bots picked up on it. So when her phone ended up dieing, I went to AT&T and got a 3G. The new agreement you sign gives them leverage, in that it states that certain phones may require data packages. So they now had an excuse. I even tried adding parental controls for $5 and then disabling the interweb, no go.

The idea is that people want the iPhone, but don't necessarily care about being connected all the time. We pay $360 per year for internet on our phone alone. Luckily, I can justify the cost as I use it often, but for some that just want the phone, it could be pricey.

EDIT:

Also, the EDGE toggle no longer works, if I'm not mistaken. I know that it doesn't work for SBSettings, but am not sure about BossPrefs
    Last edited by Imahottguy; 2009-08-17 at 11:22 PM.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

Quote Originally Posted by bbaskety View Post
    could you tell me how you got your iphone on the PAYG plan? Do you have unlimited data or just the 100MB? I would maybe consider doing this?
    I was on t-mobile prepaid with a 2G phone, the sold that phone, got a locked 3G phone and went to AT&T and told them I wanted to switch from T-mobile to AT&T prepaid, and he said ok. He said he put it in the computer as a phone other then the 3G, which I would expect since the phone is not actually suppose to be prepaid. I use the 100mb, as it is plenty for how I use the phone.

Am I getting smart with you? How would you know?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast