Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G on a noniphone data plan

Default iPhone 3G on a noniphone data plan
    i havent seen a clear answer to this

i have an iPhone already, can i get that bundle thats like unmlted texting and data [with a 3g phone thats not the iphone] and use that for my iPhone?

ps this should be sticky-ed

no you cant you have to have the 30 dollar iphone data plan and unlimited text is an extra 20...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ +1

Quote Originally Posted by westerman View Post
    no you cant you have to have the 30 dollar iphone data plan and unlimited text is an extra 20...
    That's totally NOT true. I have 2 2G iphones and 1 3G iphone all working on 15 dollar unlimited data a month Razr plans.

I use APN wap.cingular

or use the the mobileconfig from help.BenM.at – Mobileconfigs für dein iPhone | BenM.at

The way I was able to get the APN section to show up was by sticking in a Tmobile sim. Then put back in my ATT sim.

Jailbroke 3.0.1 yes.

As an FYI one of the 2G phones stopped surfing the net. And that is when I did the mobileconfig on it. Upgraded it to 3.0 and jailbroke and it stopped again. went and did the mobileconfig on it again and worked fine once more.

have you run into any glithes yet?

no visual voice mail, right?

I don't actually know what visual voice mail is. I do have normal voice mail. and I got the tethering hack to work. Which is REALLY SWEET! Everything works fine. No glitches. I got MMS to show up with the camera icon on to find out it wont send. And then a few moments later the camera icon disappeared. But I happened to do another 3G phone at the same time and he still has the camera icon but wont send and receive.

Ok. Just did a quick google on visual voice mail. Nope don't have that. Looks pretty neat but not worth 15 dollars a month. I'll try and get it to work though and report back.
    Last edited by techierob; 2011-07-30 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I too have a non iPhone data plan. So whoever said you can't hasn't tryed it or just repeating what they heard. AT&T has never told me no on anything I've asked of them, if they do maybe work on your people skills. I've also seen 3g's on plan with no data at all. Never recieved txt you hear about or had calls about changing to iPhone plan.

Yes I lost visual voicemail, but it's worthless anyway. I hear people say they gotta have it and I only have one question WHY?
    Last edited by A3gOwner; 2009-08-12 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

So let me clarify for my own knowledge. Is there anyway, under any circumstance that I could have an iphone on the PDA Personal Data only plan as seen on this link on my iphone 3g:

[url= http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pda-personal-plans.jsp ]

Right now I do not have a current contract with any company as T-mobile just started cracking down on iphone users using the Sidekick plan. I was looking to take over the last couple months of someone's contract that is trying to get out then change the plan to this data only plan. Please let me know if this could work... Thx!

If I'm reading the info from your link correctly the PDA plan is 30 dollars!! WHY?? would you want that plan? Just because you are taking over a plan that already has that? If you are with T-mobile already why not just get the smart phone plan that allows the Iphone to work on their network. Which is cheaper then the AT&T Iphone plan.

Anyway to answer your question... I don't see why it wouldn't work.

There are a couple reasons why I would do this:

1) The data ONLY plan is cheaper through the link I sent you (AT&T 34.99) than T-mobile (39.99)...

2) I would possibly be able to get 3G like speeds through AT&T

3) The reps in the store told me I would not have to start a contract to get on this plan which I would have to do if I went through T-mobile...

Thanks for the help, I will most likely see if I can get this done tomorrow...

Ok. Think about this. 39 dollar plan with corporate discount plus 15 dollar media net. So 29 for voice after discount plus 15 for 44 (edited my math) dollars you have everything. (except text messages)

What ever you decide report back on how this work out.
    Last edited by techierob; 2009-08-14 at 01:59 AM.

Are you able to get 3g speeds with a MediaNet account?

I have no idea what math you just explained to me OR what corporate discount you are talking about. 29+15 = 44 not 34 AND I would still have to add texts. The whole point was I do not need voice on this phone at all. So yes even though it's only 10 bucks more to add voice that is pointless if it will never get used. Another main point was not to start a contract for the simple fear that I don't want to give AT&T as easy an option to just PUT me in the necessary iPhone voice+data plan at their convenience...

Thanks!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bbaskety View Post
    Another main point was not to start a contract for the simple fear that I don't want to give AT&T as easy an option to just PUT me in the necessary iPhone voice+data plan at their convenience...
    Either way, if AT&T feels compelled to change the data plan on you, they're well within their means to because of their Terms of Service. To be honest, being on contract might keep you from them changing it or it might not... but they'll have less of a need to disconnect your service (because they'll end up eating the ETF because they cut the contract not you).

The disadvantage of not being on contract: that does allow them to change the plan at will or even disconnect service if they suspect you're abusing it.

Keep that in mind.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

I can see that. But if they change the plan I would have the option to cancel the service and jump to T-mobile's similiar plan. I guess the same would hold true if they were to just cancel my service all together...

The only reason I would even risk it is to have the 3G speed on the iphone. I see from this post and the other current post that you are strongly against this method. Are you currently using the appropriate plan?
    Last edited by bbaskety; 2009-08-13 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I can see that. But if they change the plan I would have the option to cancel the service and jump to T-mobile's similiar plan. I guess the same would hold true if they were to just cancel my service all together...

The only reason I would even risk it is to have the 3G speed on the iphone. I see from this post and the other current post that you are strongly against this method. Are you currently using the appropriate plan?
    My advice to you: you only live once. You start living your life in fear of unfair legalities and corporations, you might as well start digging that six foot hole.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I am currently using an iPhone-legit plan on Pick Your Plan, a no-contract option that' been for 2G owners only. I have used this plan with several 3G-capable smartphones (including a 3G-capable iPhone), but I am aware that 'misusing' data plans can cause issues down the road.
    I'm just relaying my experience (along with the rules AT&T will hold you accountable for) to you.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

You're right my new math didn't work out so well. 44 dollars with voice. And as GenesisDH comments on the data plan. I would assume the one you are looking at wouldn't throw up any red flags as easily as a medianet plan would. (I assume) who knows what there formula is before they go "WHAT THE H!!" I tether a bit and youtube etc but nothing over the top like tethering full time etc. So if there is a trigger I haven't hit that data cap for them to contact me. Ohh and yes 3G. I read on one of the other threads about someone with an OLD 10 dollar plan wondering if they get 3G or not. Again I don't have experience with a 10 dollar plan but if you have a 3g sim I would think you would get 3G speeds as long as you have an ATT 3G phone. Using Vodaphone and Tmobile phones will most certainly only allow 2G/Edge or worse GPRS.
    Last edited by techierob; 2009-08-14 at 03:42 AM.

ATT actually just changed this. If you have the media net data plan (15/month unlimited data - full 3G speeds, but no visual voice mail) it should now be cancelled as of a couple days ago. I had used a razr to set this up for my phone and I got texts saying that they were going to change it, and today, they did. No more 15/month unlimited data for me. I am researching new ways to get a cheaper rate than 30/month. Anyone know any loopholes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast