Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Cellular Data APN is "phone" - Why ?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default AT&T Cellular Data APN is "phone" - Why ?
    I'm an official AT&T user who moved from 2.2.1 to 3.0 on my 3G (jailbroken, not unlocked yet). I hope to use an o2 or T-Mobile UK Paygo Sim on a short trip to London, so I edited my carrier.plist file to add APN Editing. Before doing so, to hedge my bets, I added the AT&T "World Traveler" plan with a 20MB "Data Global Add-On" (not much data, I know).

I look at my settings and the Cellular Data APN is "phone." I looked at the original unedited carrier.plist file, which I had saved, and it too says "phone" for the APN -- a surprise since I know my APN before I did all this stuff was "wap.cingular".

When I signed up for the AT&T plans noted above, the AT&T person told me to shut off the phone and turn it on for at least 30 seconds. So, is this responsible for the change of the APN to "phone"?

By the way, everything is working fine -- Edge and 3G data, phone calls, etc.
    Last edited by lcymru; 2009-07-19 at 09:53 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lcymru View Post
    When I signed up for the AT&T plans noted above, the AT&T person told me to shut off the phone and turn it on for at least 30 seconds. So, is this responsible for the change of the APN to "phone"?
    No, the stock AT&T carrier file for 3.0 firmware always had the 'phone' APN. It was designed as an attempt by AT&T to restrict non-iPhone data plans from being used on the iPhone (only iPhone plans have access to the 'phone' APN, IIRC)... AT&T wasn't successful in this, since APN editing tools exist (even tools provided by Apple itself) that workaround this.

The rep probably wanted you to power cycle the phone to make sure the OTA updates to your SIM were successful.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks - I appreciate the response.

I have a followup question on this. When the hacked ipcc files came out, why was the apn changed from "phone" to "apn.cingular" ?
    Now on AT&T's online data usage it actually shows this everytime data is used. AT&T obviously knows now who is using the ipcc to enable tethering. Although it says apn.cingular for all data usage and not just tethering, so maybe not?

Okay, this'll be a bit more to explain. The carrier conifguration files inside an IPCC allow for three APNs. Each of these has the APN itself, a username, a password, and a type mask. (Additionally, one is given the extra MMS features in the configuration interface.) The type masks tell the OS what to use it for: a combination/possibility of using MMS, WAP/Data, VMM, and Tethering. Here's a handy chart.

The hacked IPCC made it wap.cingular (to no effect, really) because it tied Data and Tethering. AT&T generally doesn't care (right now), but they will likely monitor accounts for excess data usage in the future to charge them for tethering.

the ATT Cellular Data APN can be anything you want it to be since thats not important. what's important is the typemask. on the official carrier plist for 3.1 beta 2, which is att carrier plist version 4.5, the typemask for the cellular data is 1. if you change that to 0, you lose your data connection. its that simple. change the apn for data to whatever you want but without the proper typemask, it wont work.

as for the total number of APNs available, I think the iphone has four available APNs that can be assigned. Based on the device console log in the iphone configuration utility 2.0, the iphone has APN 0. 1, 2 and 3. which means you can assign up to four APNs. Basically, you can assign one for data, one for mms, one for voicemail, and one for tethering.

Currently i'm using a hacked version of att_us.ipcc version 4.5 from the 3.1 beta 2. Only thing i changed was the cellular data APN's typemask from 1 to 49 in order to enable tethering.

Hmm... where'd you get that 4.5? It hasn't done any wonders for me. I hacked it to enable EDGE editing for debugging purposes (and the 3.1 references to 3.0). It also has tethering enabled by default, so...

Awesome! Thanks for being so informative and detailed. I hardly tether, just don't want AT&T bustin my balls because the apn makes them assume we're tethering when in reality consuming a couple gigs of data streaming Pandora/Slacker.
    Assuming not so far down the road when tethering is a paid option, hopefully a hacked ipcc will be available that masks tethering data.

Thanks again