Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: att catching me with ultrasn0w-ed iphone

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

Default att catching me with ultrasn0w-ed iphone
    Hi. I'm new to this forum so sorry if this has already been answered but I need to know. I have att right now with a pay-per-use data plan. I bought an iphone off ebay the other day and was planning on unlocking it. Well can att tell im using an iphone by the IMEI numbers that go through them every time i call or text? they do this now if i put my sim card in but is it different somehow when its unlocked??
    thanks

It doesn't matter if your phone is locked or unlocked. They'll still know that your using an iPhone because of the IMEI everytime you send a text message or calls.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

And if you are using AT&T, then just restore and don't bother with an unlock. Just jailbreak it.

But if AT&T knows you are using an iPhone (and they know), get ready to pay for the data plan.

you can use the original iphone with the pay2go plan because you can change your imei on it. on the 3g and 3gs im not sure about.

Thanks

so there is absolutly no way to use att on my iphone 3g without a data plan?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ You can do it for a little while but they will find out and possibly add it to your account

My wife has had my old first gen iPhone, and she doesn't have a data plan on AT&T and they've never added the data plan to us, but then again she also never uses data, and we even turned if off through jailbreaking it.

Thanks

so they will figure out no matter what i do?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,544 Times in 7,599 Posts

^Correct, imei doesn't lie.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ +1

Thanks

Actually, if you tie another phones imei to the account then you can get away with this. They are right about imei not lying but as long as you did not by it from AT&T (for discount price) you will be ok. Only when you sign that iPhone contract they can force you to pay for iPhone data. If you have an existing acount and buy an iPhone(eBay or wherever) and use it on your account they have NO say what plan you must have. It all has to do with the tos on your account. I wouldn't put that iPhone on a pay-per-use data plan it will get really expensive really fast. Either block data completely(on AT&T end) or get a medianet unlimited account. If you do this right you will have no problem doing what you want to do.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default How wrong you can be...
    Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
    Actually, if you tie another phones imei to the account then you can get away with this. They are right about imei not lying but as long as you did not by it from AT&T (for discount price) you will be ok. Only when you sign that iPhone contract they can force you to pay for iPhone data. If you have an existing acount and buy an iPhone(eBay or wherever) and use it on your account they have NO say what plan you must have. It all has to do with the tos on your account. I wouldn't put that iPhone on a pay-per-use data plan it will get really expensive really fast. Either block data completely(on AT&T end) or get a medianet unlimited account. If you do this right you will have no problem doing what you want to do.
    This is not at all true. It doesn't matter if you bought it for full price or from a third party, as long as the iPhone in question is a normally AT&T-locked iPhone it would require the iPhone plan if it's to be used on AT&T.

Reread AT&T's Data Terms of Service (which apply to all AT&T postpaid customers, in-contract or not).
    PLAN TERMS | AT&T
    It states specifically that an eligible (iPhone-specific in this case) data plan is required for the iPhone (among other designated devices), plus if AT&T determines that you have an iPhone without an eligible plan they have the right to charge you for the data plan.

Also, another quote from the Data Terms and Conditions:
    Changes to the terms and conditions: These terms and conditions may be changed from time-to-time.
    This wording has been in the terms and conditions and contracts since the end of 2006 (I have my old Cingular paperwork that said this). Therefore, it's impossible any current postpaid customer isn't subject to the current TOS.

The first gen iPhone was a bit complicated w.r.t. keeping a data plan in accordance to the TOS at the time (because no provision/language existed in AT&T's TOS about required data plans until the release of the 3G). However, it does fall under the current TOS for requiring a data plan (it is an iPhone). So don't think that having a 2G precludes you from this requirement.

Just be glad AT&T hasn't 'made good' on their terms yet.

If the iPhone in question was a Rogers-locked or other non-US iPhone (which AT&T doesn't keep IMEI records as they do their own), then someone could get away with not having the data plan. This is only because AT&T doesn't keep IMEI records of phones that weren't intended to be sold by and used on AT&T and therefore don't show those IMEI to have eligibilty restrictions.

OP: The suggestion of having AT&T block data before you start using the iPhone would work... for now. PPU on an iPhone isn't a good idea to be honest, so if you don't get data blocked then you might as well pay for the data plan.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

And asoon as you were to plug it in to itunes it would prompt you to register it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well i have and iphone 3g working on tmobile(jailbroken & Unlock )and i found a cingular phone took the sim out put it on my phone and it work even with 3g speed on. now if i get a contract with Att with a new phone put like 450 min n&w Unlimeted and $30 unlimeted text and web with that phone and leter just swith the sim will they know im using a iphone or will i be ok using my iphone

Green Apple
    Thanks

they will know...

No way to work around it that i know of, unless you can change the IMEI number of the phone, which i dont think anyone of us can, then they will know.

I know this will also sound like a stupid question but I am not seeing a clear answer. Are you able to use the 100MB pay as you go data on the 3g iphone? They technically wouldn't be able to add an iphone data plan because you wouldn't be under contract, right? Or would this data just not work all together?

Yes, you can use the 100mb data plan on the 3G, I am currently running my phone that way. I only use data for GPS/Maps and email type stuff, so 100mb is perfect.

Here is what I did.
    I had a 2G from a friend, at this time I was on T-mobile. Another friend wanted the 2G, so I sold it to him and bought a 3G (3rd party).
    At this time, I wanted to switch to AT&T b/c the 3G I bought was upgraded past the unlock point on 2.2.1. I went into an AT&T store with the iPhone, and told them I wanted to switch from T-mobile prepaid to AT&T prepaid. He said ok. Done deal.

Am I getting smart with you? How would you know?

You went in there with you 3G iphone and he put it directly on the Pay as you go prepaid?

Yes, he knew I was going to be using a 3G, so he put it in the computer as some other phone.

Am I getting smart with you? How would you know?

Here is what I did. I bought my 3GS as regular 2year contract w/data. And I bought old cheap $9.00 at&t phone from ebay and took it to at&t store and added as my second line without data plan.(THEY SCANNED IMEI NUMBER OFF THAT $9.00 PHONE.) Then I took the sim card out and put it into another jailbroken iPhone 3GS. But you can't activate your iPhone without valid sim card in it. So,the important thing is that you first take my valid sim card(from my first iphone) to second iphone and register thru itune. Then, move the sim card from $9.00 cheap phone to second iPhone. Done! Everything works, WiFi is working, no data plan. That way I added total 5 lines all iPhones. I have three 3GS and two 2G in my family plan. Only paying $9.99 each additional line. And I still keep that $9.00 phone.
    Last edited by i9charm; 2009-08-22 at 08:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast