Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS without data plan??

Default iPhone 3GS without data plan??
    Hello everyone,

my father currently has a business plan with AT&T, and he is upgrade eligible for an iPhone. I wanted to know if it is possible for him to use his upgrade to get the phone for $200, and then possibly cancel the data plan? Please let me know, I am eager to find out if this is possible. Thank you.

-Nick

Thanks

geez and pete's
    Last edited by Simtech; 2009-07-15 at 10:08 PM.

Nope, its mandatory to have a data plan on the iPhone, unless its unlocked, and especially if you get it at the subsidized price. There is no way around the data. So your looking at $69 a month for the lowest single plan. Although I havent gotten my first bill since I switched from 3G to 3G(S) I did read on the upgrade site that there is a slight discount on the rate plan. Like $5 in each category. Voice Data and Text..
    Lime

White iPhone 3G[S] 32GB

Rig Specs:
    Coolermaster Spartan Case
    Asus P6T Deluxe
    Core i7 920 @ 3.8 Ghz
    Batch 3839A586
    6 gigs OCZ Platinum 7-7-7-20 1600 @1.65
    EVGA GTX 285 (702/1323/1584)
    LG DVD/RW
    Logitech G15 Keyboard & G9 Laser Mouse
    500GB Western Digital Caviar Black
    Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme (lapped) Dual TR 1600 Fans
    Thermaltake Toughpower 750 Modular

Quote Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
    Nope, its mandatory to have a data plan on the iPhone, unless its unlocked, and especially if you get it at the subsidized price. There is no way around the data. So your looking at $69 a month for the lowest single plan. Although I havent gotten my first bill since I switched from 3G to 3G(S) I did read on the upgrade site that there is a slight discount on the rate plan. Like $5 in each category. Voice Data and Text..
    no actually your wrong yes he can do that but he would be forced to jailkbreak it which is super easy i currently am using a iphone 3gs with no data plan i pay 50 a month for unlimited text and 450 min and i have a 28% discount on my plan

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I'm confused. Jailbreaking a phone has nothing to do with the rate plan which is dictated by the provider. If you are under contract and have an iPhone tagged on your account they will charge you the mandatory $30 data fee. If you are NOT under contract and lie about the phone you have you can possibly get away with getting on a regular voice plan with no data package at all.

Im sorry, you guys misunderstood me... I have T-Mobile for myself, and my father wants to continue using his RAZR on AT&T. I want to make sure that I can cancel the data plan, and still be able to get the iPhone for $200. I am just using his upgrade to get the phone, and I want to know if i can cancel the data plan.

if you have t-mobile, just unlock the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by HayWire View Post
    if you have t-mobile, just unlock the phone.
    That I know, but I want to make sure that I will be able to get rid of the data plan on my father's AT&T account. Has anyone else done this?

Quote Originally Posted by glitchman View Post
    That I know, but I want to make sure that I will be able to get rid of the data plan on my father's AT&T account. Has anyone else done this?
    You can, but theyll charge you a termination fee and might even make you return the phone back to them. Which the fees are quite a bit and you end up paying over 500 dollars. if you want no data plan or contract youll have to buy the phone at 499 599 or whatever it costs.
    Last edited by bobright; 2009-07-15 at 11:20 PM.

They will charge a termination fee for just removing the data plan?? what if i wait a month, and the iPhone is "stolen" from me? that doesn't make much sense

listen these people are dumb im under contract wat you do is upgrade get the iphone then take the sim out put it back in your razor and take the data plan off then simply put it back into the iphone and jailbreak it and your all set you will have a working iphone 3g/3gs but you sill not be able to go on the internet unless you change your mind and add the data feature otherwise you can use everything but internet and you still could use internet through any area that offers wifi

^NO you are DUMB, we all know you can unlock the phone under another service thats not the only thing he wants to do, he wants to get a upgrade for 199 and then immediately switch back over to a razr and thinks he can cancel the plan without paying anything

OK,

Let's not turn this into a thread in which people call each other names... I am just asking, has anyone been able to do this? Because I read the iPhone terms of agreement, and it doesn't say anything about canceling the data plan. Thank you.

-Nick

I was wondering the same thing because my brother-in-law who is with AT&T just upgraded to an iPhone 3GS because I told him I could unlock it so he could take it to Dubai where he is working.

He was wondering if he could either remove data plan, or could he at least put the SIM in his wife's phone so she could at least use the data plan as opposed to having to pay for it + voice and using neither. Anybody know on that?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
    ^NO you are DUMB, we all know you can unlock the phone under another service thats not the only thing he wants to do, he wants to get a upgrade for 199 and then immediately switch back over to a razr and thinks he can cancel the plan without paying anything
    he can do that as long as he jailbreaks it retard

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

yes. just have him order the iphone with his upgrade. when he gets it have him call att and say he is not setting it up right now and they will take off the data plan and will just tell him to add it when he uses it. trust me i just did this with my mother in laws plan and used her upgrade and everything is just fine. you will have to use his att sim to activate iphone and jailbreak to download unlock.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I have a feeling its a case by case scenario. Depending on who at att you are dealing with. Your best bet would be to call and talk to someone about buying one and say you can't activate it right away.

I was trying to get this to work for my Fiances 3G. As the conversation progressed, I told the rep that I was going to sell the phone and give her a RAZR, and then asked if I would still be charged for unlimited data that she didn't use. Their response: No, the feature will be removed once you start using the RAZR. They went on to say that the TOS say that some phones may require data. A RAZR, does not require data (apparently). iPhones, BB's do require data (per AT&T).

So, in your situation, you want to use your Dad's upgrade to get the iPhone 3GS (a good choice!), then take the 3GS over to T-Mo and use it. You are worried that he will still incur the $30 All you can eat charge. He will definitely not incur such a charge. Though, a call to CS with a crock story of the iPhone going for a swim, thus ensuring that the feature is removed, wouldn't hurt.

And I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but you may need to JB it. (lol, couldn't resist).

Come on people! He wants to use it w/ T-Mo! Don't you think that he knows that it needs to be JB/UL??
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

okay i was just thinking of something similar to this and looking for posts of successful management of features online that would either remove the iphone 3g/s data plan or switch it for the iphone $20 data/text plan.

i think it might be possible to avoid calling a rep. altogether if you use the online account management to switch back to the razr (and previous rate plan) after the iphone 3gs is activated. here is my reasoning...

i just used my wife's upgrade eligibility to buy a 3gs at discount (after i bought one at discount with my eligibility and one at early upgrade discount for my line - all within 4 days) and under direction from the at&t salesperson at my local shop i took my wife's 1st gen iphone and plugged it into intunes, went through the activation process and she is back on her $20 iphone data plan. when i bought the 3gs with her upgrade it switched her rate plan to the 3gs $30 plan and it was visible on the online account management site. now she's switched back and not because of anything that the reps did. i did it at home.

i know this isn't exactly the same, but hear me out. if you take your sim out of your iphone (with a regular at&t data plan) and put it in a different at&t sim phone, you can change the phone on the account management site and that should give you the option to change the features that you have on the plan. so if you aren't using the iphone, it shouldn't require you to choose the data plan that goes with it...

but it may not work unless you call the rep after you switch the sim back to the razr. it should def. work if the iphone "fell into the pool". cough coughnotreallycough cough.
    i know people were doing some iphone data plan swapping when the 3g came out. i think some of them got busted but i got one used and unlocked it, slapped in my sim (from 1st gen iphone), and it worked with 3g speeds on the 1st gen plan.
    anybody think this will work besides me? hell i think i'll try it now...

*** EDIT ***
    so i went online to try this and you can't remove the iphone data plan even after switching the phone & sim.
    i'd still try the customer service reps. i'm sure they'll change it if your dad's iphone was to ___insert excuse here___ .
    (wink)
    Last edited by chefquinata; 2009-07-20 at 03:29 AM.

Wont work dont u think everyone would be doing this? Act like they want to "upgrade" get the phone at a cheap price, keep or sell the phone, and go back to there plain old plan. Pssh.

The reason you get it so cheap for 199 or 299 is because ur commited to a contract and thats how the moneys made up
    Last edited by bobright; 2009-07-20 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast