Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Free Tethering?

Default Free Tethering?
    So did anyone get charged at the end of the month for ddownloading the option to tether and trying it out? I'm going on vacation in a few days and thought i might bring my labtop.
    Thanks

i dont get charged for tethering.. i used for like 2 hours playing ps3 with it... nothing rare on the bill... i think i will keep using it and bye bye to pdaNET which drains a lot my battery even when charge with usb...

How do you use it on your ps3?

I didn't get charged either. I used it about 2-3 hours total. I'm
    hoping that if you have unlimited data you
    shouldn't get charged anyway. But I guess that's for them to decide
    Lime

White iPhone 3G[S] 32GB

Rig Specs:
    Coolermaster Spartan Case
    Asus P6T Deluxe
    Core i7 920 @ 3.8 Ghz
    Batch 3839A586
    6 gigs OCZ Platinum 7-7-7-20 1600 @1.65
    EVGA GTX 285 (702/1323/1584)
    LG DVD/RW
    Logitech G15 Keyboard & G9 Laser Mouse
    500GB Western Digital Caviar Black
    Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme (lapped) Dual TR 1600 Fans
    Thermaltake Toughpower 750 Modular

How do u tether ? And can u on 3g s

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Tethering will most definitely not be free. You can do it now, but most likely once the package is offered it will be $45-60.

To bobright: There is a whole section about tethering in the forums here. You either use PDAnet from Cydia or you have to update your ipcc file with 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Tethering will most definitely not be free. You can do it now, but most likely once the package is offered it will be $45-60.

To bobright: There is a whole section about tethering in the forums here. You either use PDAnet from Cydia or you have to update your ipcc file with 5.0
    When is that going to occur?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

They haven't said yet. There are other PDA tethering plans available through AT&T, but the iPhone hasn't been addressed yet. I would imagine it will be around the same time they drop MMS on us.

Thanks

My question is: how will they disable tethering for those not on the tethering plan when the time comes? Since I have tethering working great now, won't it be the case that as long as I don't update anything, I should have it forever.

Also, some say AT&T can tell the difference between data sent by the iphone vs. data sent by a computer via the iphone. I don't believe the later is the case. Would some one care to enlighten me?
    If I helped you out in any way, hit the Thanks Button.

iPhone? More like TyPhone

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    They haven't said yet. There are other PDA tethering plans available through AT&T, but the iPhone hasn't been addressed yet. I would imagine it will be around the same time they drop MMS on us.

I have been tethering with a PDA/Tethering plan from a Samsung Encite phone for the past few days on my 3GS, it does work real good, even the MMS. But my phones are Unlocked, I have tried with my girls phone, and I get this slow speed test on hers (ATT costumer) she does not have a plan, just that regular Data plan for the iphone.

ATT will hit with a Service plan, because using your data plan is kind of sloooow

i use a wifi dongle connected to my laptop... using iphone tethering, click and share the iphone connection with the wifi dongle, then the PS3 will scan ur PC as a router... using the iphone internet

Mine worked just fine. So should I just use it? Ill probably only use it for 6-7 hours the whole trip. I shouldn't get hit with a big bill then should I?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by <Ryan> View Post
    Mine worked just fine. So should I just use it? Ill probably only use it for 6-7 hours the whole trip. I shouldn't get hit with a big bill then should I?
    Just stay under 5GB. AT&T "unlimited data" actually caps at 5GB.

Your usage meter under settings>general>usage update as you are tethered.
    If I helped you out in any way, hit the Thanks Button.

iPhone? More like TyPhone

iPhone? More like MyPhone knowledge561's Avatar
    Thanks

My bill is still the same amount, and they will not charge for tethering because of the internet plan you are on!

Quote Originally Posted by knowledge561 View Post
    My bill is still the same amount, and they will not charge for tethering because of the internet plan you are on!
    Like they have all ready said! Do not go over 5GB, keep track of what are you using, (usage tab on settings)and careful what you down load too.

The only difference it's speed, that's all.

Should I watch sent and received data?

im over 5gb of usage, actually i used 7gb, my friend last month used 14gb... no overcharges for him..so if your data plan says unlimited, you can use tethering without problems... the 5gb limit are for usb data aircards... not for cellphone data plans...

i didn't get charged either. Used it om my Mac Book Pro, one day that we lost power due to a thunderstorm that went thru & knocked out the power for 5 hours.