Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3Gs New Purchase ? and ecid ?

Thanks

Default 3Gs New Purchase ? and ecid ?
    So I am wondering if I go to the apple store, at&t, best buy,or whoever to buy a new 3Gs and if I pay the full retail price, can I leave the store, iPhone still in box and unactivated. Or will they try to make me activate it on my account or something stupid like that.

My reason for asking is, I am going to pay full price to avoid a new contract and to keep my current 3G as my "working" phone. I ONLY want to grab the 3Gs now so that I can do the purplera1n thing and not "activate" it till I am ready.

(i.e. later on when it becomes JB'able, then I'll take the 3Gs back to at&t and say, I want to use this 3Gs now, activate it using the number from my 3G here)

If I can get to that point, my next question is: if I bring home an unopened 3Gs, open it up, will I be able to put it in recovery mode, do the usb dump, and read the ecid?

Thanks

p.s. wasn't quite sure what forum to post this ? under

Yes you can do all of that. I went to the apple store yesterday and paid the no commitment price for a 32GB 3GS. They just scanned the serial and that was it. Was out in five minutes and they didn't open the box. You can then just hold the home button and connect it to your computer to get into recovery mode. From there you can get your ECID and use purplera1n.
    iPhone 4 32GB JB & Unlocked w/ T-Mobile

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JRML970 For This Useful Post:

muffpirate (2009-06-30)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JRML970 View Post
    Yes you can do all of that. I went to the apple store yesterday and paid the no commitment price for a 32GB 3GS. They just scanned the serial and that was it. Was out in five minutes and they didn't open the box. You can then just hold the home button and connect it to your computer to get into recovery mode. From there you can get your ECID and use purplera1n.
    thx bro.. much appreciated

this is a noob Q? whats the purpose of the getting the ECID and puplerain? i kinda heard about it but do not really understand/

Could you please explain me what 'no commitment' actually stands for?
    I'm going on vacation to NY and was planning to buy a 'no commitment' iPhone 3GS.
    I google'd around and found out that that's the only way to buy a iPhone w/o getting stuck with a two-year AT&T contract.
    But now I'm figuring out that this 'no commitment' is only sold to those who already have a iPhone 3G and still have a contract that hasn't been expired yet.

Please explain >.< ? (I know most one-posters get ignored, but please help me. I really need to figure this out before going on vacation and finding out I'm not capable of buying a iPhone 3GS)
    Last edited by .PhameUs; 2009-07-02 at 11:22 AM.

No commitment is just paying for the phone without a contract. Thus paying for it at full retail/unsubsidized price of $599 & $699. Signing up for a contract with AT&T will get you the phone at the cheaper subsidized price of $199 & $299. You do not have to have an existing account or iphone with any carrier. I'd recommend going into an Apple Store rather than an AT&T store because they haggle you less about buying without a contract and will most likely have a lot more in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphone_Reloaded View Post
    this is a noob Q? whats the purpose of the getting the ECID and puplerain? i kinda heard about it but do not really understand/
    Read more about it here and here.
    Last edited by JRML970; 2009-07-02 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    iPhone 4 32GB JB & Unlocked w/ T-Mobile

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JRML970 For This Useful Post:

.PhameUs (2009-07-04)

No commitment is just paying for the phone without a contract. Thus paying for it at full retail/unsubsidized price of $599 & $699. Signing up for a contract with AT&T will get you the phone at the cheaper subsidized price of $199 & $299. You do not have to have an existing account or iphone with any carrier. I'd recommend going into an Apple Store rather than an AT&T store because they haggle you less about buying without a contract and will most likely have a lot more in stock.
    This is interesting, because people are telling different things.
    Are you sure about this info? Like, do you live in the US?
    And do you know friend that have done this or maybe you've done this yourself?

Read more about it here and here.

If you buy an iPhone in USA, no matter what, you will still need the ATT service. Yes you could paid in Full, but the cell phone is not unlocked!(this is when UltraSn0w kicks in). You are able to activate the phone even with a prepaid (gophone sim) card, you are able to have a few services, But not the DATA, you still are able to have 3G, reason is because the 2100Mhz GSM frequency is the only over the Air 3G. ATT nor apple would loose money on this, and the worst of all this is that it would not even give you a chance to unlocked the phone via IMEI, this is the only phone that ATT would not allowed to do so.

Why do you think that an unlocked apple iphone cost so much? I mean a truly unlocked, just pop the sim and ready! no activation or anything! 3GS is over 750.00 for 32GB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gordo2150 For This Useful Post:

.PhameUs (2009-07-05)