Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Buying 3GS from friend

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Buying 3GS from friend
    Ok here's the deal. My friend is up for an upgrade and can get the 3GS at the cheapest rate. I want to go ahead and grab one now and wait for the possible JB and unlock since I have the money to buy one (with the discount she gets). What would happen if she orders the 3GS (online) and then just never activates it and gives it to me? Would they charge her anything or make any changes to her account?

TIA

Assuming she doesn't have an iphone herself with 3g, then yes they will charge her $30 a month for the 3g internet plan.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, she will be switched to an iPhone contract and she will have to agree to a new 2 year agreement.

After her first months bill she should be able to switch back to whatever plan she has now.

So give her 30 dollars more than the cost of the 3GS and it will work out.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Yeah, she will be switched to an iPhone contract and she will have to agree to a new 2 year agreement.

After her first months bill she should be able to switch back to whatever plan she has now.

So give her 30 dollars more than the cost of the 3GS and it will work out.
    Alright. Let me ask this second question, since she's not cancelling her service, would they make her return the iPhone or charge her some sort of ETF (I know what ETF stands for, but AT&T can be some tricky bastards )?

Thanks

No, she will not be charged an ETF. She can switch her plan back to any plan she wants, but they are still going to make her pay the $30 for the first month because it is a mandatory package. All she has to do is tell them she doesn't use the iPhone anymore and they will remove the data package. The only way she will be charged an ETF is if she cancels her service completely which she isn't so you are good to go.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

z3r0x (2009-06-28)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ +1 Sounds like you are getting a great deal here. Just slide her an extra $30 for the first month

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    No, she will not be charged an ETF. She can switch her plan back to any plan she wants, but they are still going to make her pay the $30 for the first month because it is a mandatory package. All she has to do is tell them she doesn't use the iPhone anymore and they will remove the data package. The only way she will be charged an ETF is if she cancels her service completely which she isn't so you are good to go.
    Wow I always thought you had to stick to the plan for the 2 years. Now that I know this, I'm going to ask one of my friends help me get a 3gs =)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r0x View Post
    Wow I always thought you had to stick to the plan for the 2 years. Now that I know this, I'm going to ask one of my friends help me get a 3gs =)
    I change my plan frequently depending on which phone I am traveling with. You are only required to stay under contract for 2 years. They don't care which plan you are on.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

I used to change my phones and plans a lot. Captin is correct that as long as you are under some sort of contract with them they don't care. The only time that would be possible is like when I got my e71x and signed an new contract and the mail rebate stated i had to carry the PDA data plan for a minimum of a month in order to get the rebate. My month is up and here I come new iPhone. I should get it monday.

I was thinking of doing something like this on my father's ATT account. Question: after the first month, can you remove everything iPhone related? As in, would my father be stuck with the iPhone data plan?