Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: old at&t blue mmode settings on iphone

^^ I have 'Blue'. my rate plan is better than what they offer to me now. yeah EDGE is slower than 3g but with the rates they are charging, I'll stick with EDGE. If I needed to surf that fast on a phone, I would invest in a laptop wireless card and use a laptop.

Default 3G speeds with blue sim
    I am thinking one should be able to get 3g speeds with the 3g iphone with a blue sim because it is using the same network. I know using a Samsung blackjack and blue sim allows 3g.

To anyone who gets the 3g iphone working with their blue plan, let me know the details and if it is the same process as the edge iphone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This still works with the 2.0 firmware. The carrier bundles are now under: /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/ You can move the unknown bundle to the ATT bundle and then use the APN proxy.

Quote Originally Posted by ngejung View Post
    I got the "old" AT&T blue mmode working on my iphone

Here are the steps:

You basically need to modify one file and add a new file.

*** Before you do anything, turn your WIFI OFF on your iphone *****
    The only way I know to connect to my iPhone is through wifi SSH using Fugu. If I'm supposed to turn WIFI off, how am I supposed to access these files?

Quote Originally Posted by adonisxtreme View Post
    I am thinking one should be able to get 3g speeds with the 3g iphone with a blue sim because it is using the same network.
    While I can't speak to the iPhone, despite what numerous ATT folks have told me when I put my old blue sim (which has an unlimited $45 data plan on it -- they don't make that anymore ) into a data card, I get 3G speeds.

Just came across a solution for how to enable mMode with legacy ATT Wireless SIM on an unlocked 2.0 iPhone ...

APN Changer

This bypasses any need to edit config files on the device. It sends a service message to the phone using standard APIs.

No affiliation. Just tried it, and it worked! I also paid the author $10NZ for the help :-)

Default Fix that works for firmware 2.0.1
    I don't know what forum I first read this fix on, but it's slightly changed for the latest firmware update (it seems the file directories are rearranged a bit). This got my mMode unlimited working, but not with text messages. If anyone can get text messages please still post that.

This fix is incredibly simple and doesn't require any file editing, just one copy/move.

Go to /System/Library/Carrier Bundles

At the bottom is a list of all the different carriers. By default, the iPhone is using the carrier.plist file from "ATT US" or something like that. So you have to replace it to match an unknown carrier. Fortunately, in the "Carrier Bundles" directory, there's a folder called "unknown carrier"! Just copy the carrier.plist file from this folder and use it to replace the one in the AT&T folder. You can make a backup of the old AT&T one if you want, but I have yet to find any use for it.

Hope this works for you as easily as it did for me.

If you tried installing the APN changer from APN Changer, you'll have to deactivate it in Settings->General->Network first.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WhateversClever For This Useful Post:

phattbam (2008-08-17)

thanks whateversclever, i got it working as well. As for text messaging. I have no idea where to start with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by WhateversClever View Post
    I don't know what forum I first read this fix on, but it's slightly changed for the latest firmware update (it seems the file directories are rearranged a bit). This got my mMode unlimited working, but not with text messages. If anyone can get text messages please still post that.

This fix is incredibly simple and doesn't require any file editing, just one copy/move.

Go to /System/Library/Carrier Bundles

At the bottom is a list of all the different carriers. By default, the iPhone is using the carrier.plist file from "ATT US" or something like that. So you have to replace it to match an unknown carrier. Fortunately, in the "Carrier Bundles" directory, there's a folder called "unknown carrier"! Just copy the carrier.plist file from this folder and use it to replace the one in the AT&T folder. You can make a backup of the old AT&T one if you want, but I have yet to find any use for it.

Hope this works for you as easily as it did for me.

If you tried installing the APN changer from APN Changer, you'll have to deactivate it in Settings->General->Network first.
    Do you mean MMS or SMS? Your SMS should be working fine. I could understand an MMS issue. WHich one is it?

Quote Originally Posted by moxie View Post
    Just came across a solution for how to enable mMode with legacy ATT Wireless SIM on an unlocked 2.0 iPhone ...

APN Changer

This bypasses any need to edit config files on the device. It sends a service message to the phone using standard APIs.

No affiliation. Just tried it, and it worked! I also paid the author $10NZ for the help :-)
    THanks !!!!!
    I have installed this, but not tested it yet (still busy on WIFI.) Im hoping this is good !

Any way to get MMS working?
    Last edited by cobra75007; 2008-08-19 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

SMS/text messaging did not work when I tried.

no cobra, I did in fact mean sms was not working.

SMS just worked after a day of constant testing

This is not working out for me.
    I am a blue ATT and I was using Edge just fine until upgraded to 2.0.2

MMODE SETINGS ON 2.0.2

Hello everyone.
    I tried the old fashion way and it worked just fine.

Apply preferences.plist to this directory Library/Preferences/SystemConfigurations

Apply the Proxy.pac file still on the same folder Private/var/root
    Last edited by endriti; 2008-09-12 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

15. The Following User Says Thank You to endriti For This Useful Post:

phattbam (2008-09-12)

thanks for posting, I'm sure a few of the old Blue users would like that

Quote Originally Posted by endriti View Post
    This is not working out for me.
    I am a blue ATT and I was using Edge just fine until upgraded to 2.0.2

MMODE SETINGS ON 2.0.2

Hello everyone.
    I tried the old fashion way and it worked just fine.

Apply preferences.plist to this directory Library/Preferences/SystemConfigurations

Apply the Proxy.pac file still on the same folder Private/var/root
    Excuse me for being a little slow, but your way sounds exciting and I don't completely get it:

Where do I get the preferences.plist and Proxy.pac to put in the directories you describe? I need to know where from AND where to, to understand a motion. Thanks a lot for posting though, us Blue users need to stick together

You will need to go back to the first page of this post. It starts by telling you how to make the proxy.pac file etc. Read thru all of the post and you should have it by the time you are done. There a a couple programs you need when you start moving files around.

Smile Old Iphone 2.0.2 with ATT MMODE
    Hello, I have the old Iphone with version 2.0.2. I am an old ATT Blue customer with unlimited MMODE. I used winpwn to upgrade to 2.0.2.
    I am happy to see that we old Blue customers can still use 2G service but I have a problem and I need help. After updating to 2.0.2 it appears that no text editors are available for windows users. I followed the steps using winscp but the files I edit keep reverting back. Mobile Finder and and Mobile Text editor do not work anymore. Does anyone have any ideas on how to edit these files using a Windows PC or a program I can install on my Iphone that works on 2.0.2?

Thanks.

Why don't u use TEXTPAD and SSH it to your iPhone?

I have an iPhone which i unlocked with pwnage and upgraded to 2.2. My old ATT sim card works fine for calls and texts, but no data service - says i don't have a data plan (i do have mmode plan).. I have read these post but am still a newbie and want to know what the newest method is for getting the data plan to work on this OS.
    Also, I'm on a Mac, so the details of how to use for windows don't help me.

My installer on my iphone doesn't seem to find the files mentioned in the previous posts. I'm assuming a lot of this material is old. But I'm not finding the programs mentioned in Installer. I don't know how to modify files on the phone (all newbie admissions)

Any guidance kindly appreciated.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It is not the iphone, it is your SIM,(try your sim on a Nokia phone, you might find no data service either). I had the same issue. You just need to tell AT&T to replace your SIM card. The new sim you get should work.

Quote Originally Posted by rat666 View Post
    I have an iPhone which i unlocked with pwnage and upgraded to 2.2. My old ATT sim card works fine for calls and texts, but no data service - says i don't have a data plan (i do have mmode plan).. I have read these post but am still a newbie and want to know what the newest method is for getting the data plan to work on this OS.
    Also, I'm on a Mac, so the details of how to use for windows don't help me.

My installer on my iphone doesn't seem to find the files mentioned in the previous posts. I'm assuming a lot of this material is old. But I'm not finding the programs mentioned in Installer. I don't know how to modify files on the phone (all newbie admissions)

Any guidance kindly appreciated.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast