Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Family plan and new 3GS.

Default Family plan and new 3GS.
    Im on a family plan with 3 other people. Im the only one with an Iphone. One of the people has option for a FULL upgrade so its $199. Is it possible to have them upgrade and just put my sim in the phone and it will it work? Also will there be any extra charges? The extra 2 year contract is not a problem.

Thanks in advance.

you'll need the iPhone data plan attached to your sim, other then that you should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    you'll need the iPhone data plan attached to your sim, other then that you should be fine
    Yes I would put the sim out of my current iphone for the 3gs. Will I have to pay for a second data plan for the 3gs?

According to AT&T, certainly for the 3G, and possibly for the 2G too, once a sweep done by the network detects an iPhone, it will automatically add the data plan (i.e.: $30 more per month). I haven't verified this, but I was thinking of switching to AT&T to get the new 3G S, but the prospect of paying 3 data plans doesn't appeal to me.
    Last edited by chanquete; 2009-06-20 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sorry for not making this clear. I will sell my current 3G iphone. The person on my plan will use their upgrade to get an iphone for $199. So if they give me the phone and i put my sim in it, should work without any extra charges right?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

the 3G and the 3Gs share the same data plan. You will be able to take your sim from your 3G and put it in the new 3GS and charges will not be different. You will, however, have converted another one of your family member's lines to a 3G/3GS line and that line will reflect the iphone data charges.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    the 3G and the 3Gs share the same data plan. You will be able to take your sim from your 3G and put it in the new 3GS and charges will not be different. You will, however, have converted another one of your family member's lines to a 3G/3GS line and that line will reflect the iphone data charges.
    Thanks. Thats what I needed to know.