Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Giving away the old iphone

Default Giving away the old iphone
    I have an old Iphone that I want to give to my child. We have the family plan but I do not want to add another iphone plan and would rather continue to pay the $10 additional line. Anyway to make this work?

Quote Originally Posted by treticker View Post
    I have an old Iphone that I want to give to my child. We have the family plan but I do not want to add another iphone plan and would rather continue to pay the $10 additional line. Anyway to make this work?
    At best, you can add another line to your family plan get a new phone from AT&T. Then swap the SIM card for it to the iPhone. Now, if you've got unlimited messaging on your family plan you can add unlimited Media Net for $10 a month for the new line. Though, $10 a month vs $20 a month isn't a whole lot. I'd just go with the iPhone plan if it's a 1st generation iPhone. Now, if it's an iPhone 3G you'll be stuck with the $30 plan.
    Last edited by LonelyTV; 2009-06-20 at 10:14 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LonelyTV For This Useful Post:

treticker (2009-06-23)

Actually, the original iPhone (iPhone 2G) can be unlocked through Pwnage Tool or Redsn0w. Once you have it unlocked, just put the sim card from your child's old phone into the iPhone (you insert it through the top of the iPhone, just use the tool that came with your 3G or 3G S to get it out).

If your giving your child an iPhone 3G, you will have to wait a little bit longer for an unlock. The Dev-Team is working very hard to try to get it out to the public ASAP.

Either way, you will be able to use the $10 plan. It costs an extra $10 a month for unlimited data. So, if you don't want to pay the extra $, make sure your child knows what apps to use and what not to use. I just had this problem with my mother's unlocked iPhone and she ended up racking up a $134 bill. Now, although both plans add up to $20, the plan for the ORIGINAL iPhone is $20 plus an extra $10 for the line. The 3G is $30 plus $10 for the line. Ultimately you will save money by unlocking. Just make sure you read up on all the facts about unlocking so you don't wind up RE-locking your phone through a firmware upgrade or something. Also, and I can't stress this enough, if you don't want to pay the $10 extra for the unlimited internet access through AT&T's MediaNET service, make sure your child knows what apps CAN"T be used!!

I hope you find this somewhat helpful. Here's the link to the Dev-Team's site. If you don't know how to unlock, there are plenty of tutorials in these forums. iClarified.com has some good tutorials too!
    Last edited by gary002; 2009-06-21 at 07:28 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gary002 For This Useful Post:

treticker (2009-06-23)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 224 Posts

you might wanna change the name of the thread to "Giving away my old iPhone to my child"...I thought you was really giving away your iphone to somebody here

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ Thats what I thought too lol

yea, and I was hoping I met the criteria...LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by gary002 View Post
    Actually, the original iPhone (iPhone 2G) can be unlocked through Pwnage Tool or Redsn0w. Once you have it unlocked, just put the sim card from your child's old phone into the iPhone (you insert it through the top of the iPhone, just use the tool that came with your 3G or 3G S to get it out).

If your giving your child an iPhone 3G, you will have to wait a little bit longer for an unlock. The Dev-Team is working very hard to try to get it out to the public ASAP.

Either way, you will be able to use the $10 plan. It costs an extra $10 a month for unlimited data. So, if you don't want to pay the extra $, make sure your child knows what apps to use and what not to use. I just had this problem with my mother's unlocked iPhone and she ended up racking up a $134 bill. Now, although both plans add up to $20, the plan for the ORIGINAL iPhone is $20 plus an extra $10 for the line. The 3G is $30 plus $10 for the line. Ultimately you will save money by unlocking. Just make sure you read up on all the facts about unlocking so you don't wind up RE-locking your phone through a firmware upgrade or something. Also, and I can't stress this enough, if you don't want to pay the $10 extra for the unlimited internet access through AT&T's MediaNET service, make sure your child knows what apps CAN"T be used!!

I hope you find this somewhat helpful. Here's the link to the Dev-Team's site. If you don't know how to unlock, there are plenty of tutorials in these forums. iClarified.com has some good tutorials too!
    I just wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to offer some help. Ithought this was the case if I unlocked my 2g iphone. Unfortunately, I keep getting stuck with Redsnow as it holds on " Waiting for Reboot". I have tried several times after a fresh restore but still get nowhere. It is kind of strange as I have jailbroken this phone before. Another strange thing is that when I run Redsnow I only get the option to jailbreak.I guess I will have to wait for Quickpawn and see if that works. Thanks for the help, I truly appreciate it.

I just wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to offer some help. Ithought this was the case if I unlocked my 2g iphone. Unfortunately, I keep getting stuck with Redsnow as it holds on " Waiting for Reboot". I have tried several times after a fresh restore but still get nowhere. It is kind of strange as I have jailbroken this phone before. Another strange thing is that when I run Redsnow I only get the option to jailbreak.I guess I will have to wait for Quickpawn and see if that works. Thanks for the help, I truly appreciate it.
    The only thing I can think of that is giving you trouble is that you're using the wrong firmware for your 2G iPhone. Make sure the firmware is the same version as the one currently on your iPhone and that it begins with "iPhone1,1". If it begins with "iPhone1,2" or "iPhone2,1" then it's wrong. Those are for the 3G and 3G S respectably. You can download ALL firmware versions here. Make sure you also have the bootloader files. You can find those on one of the tutorials I linked to in the previous post. I hope this works out for you!
    Last edited by gary002; 2009-06-23 at 09:55 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gary002 For This Useful Post:

treticker (2009-06-24)

Quote Originally Posted by gary002 View Post
    The only thing I can think of that is giving you trouble is that you're using the wrong firmware for your 2G iPhone. Make sure the firmware is the same version as the one currently on your iPhone and that it begins with "iPhone1,1". If it begins with "iPhone1,2" or "iPhone2,1" then it's wrong. Those are for the 3G and 3G S respectably. You can download ALL firmware versions here. Make sure you also have the bootloader files. You can find those on one of the tutorials I linked to in the previous post. I hope this works out for you!
    Finally got it to work!!!! Put my son's sim in and works like a charm. Turned off edge so there should be no data charges. Thanks for your help

Finally got it to work!!!! Put my son's sim in and works like a charm. Turned off edge so there should be no data charges. Thanks for your help
    You're definitely welcome! I'm glad it all worked out