Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can I upgrade to the iPhone 3GS even though I'm still in a 2 year contract

Default Can I upgrade to the iPhone 3GS even though I'm still in a 2 year contract
    I still have another year on my contract but I would like to upgrade to the iPhone 3GS when its released on the 19th. I have a iPhone 3G now and I would gladly pay the $200 for the iPhone 3GS then just swap the phones. I've called AT&T and the representative says she doesn't know and I'm like wtf....

There is already a dozen or so threads asking this question.

And obviously everyone is guessing at this point.

I figured an alternative. I'm currently on a family plan with my mom and dad. My dad already has a 3G iPhone and my mom plans on getting one. I'll buy a new iPhone 3GS and give her my iPhone 3G.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Engadget had an article that people mid contract would pay 299/399 for the phones last time I saw.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

You can go thru the first couple steps on AT&Ts or Apples website for a preorder and it will tell you what you will have to pay

Yea did that. $399.99 and we will hook you up. I think I will pass for now. Of course you could always Unlock and jailbreak the 3g and sell it for a nice price to offset the cost.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ That is very true. Nice thing that the old ones are holding their value so much

Even though Apple has dropped the price to $99? I would've thought that was going to kill the going price of a 3G. Is it best to not upgrade to 3.0 if I'm planning on selling it unlocked?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StevenB View Post
    Even though Apple has dropped the price to $99? I would've thought that was going to kill the going price of a 3G. Is it best to not upgrade to 3.0 if I'm planning on selling it unlocked?
    Yes don't upgrade if you plan unlocking and selling the phone.

So it looks like ATT want's to charge current iPhone 3G users a $200 price premium to upgrade to a 3GS vs. what it would cost a new customer:

iPhone 3GS Device Pricing:
    • iPhone 3G S will cost $199 (16GB) and $299 (32GB) for new and qualifying customers.
    • If you are not currently eligible for an upgrade but still want iPhone 3GS (AKA current 3G owners), early upgrade prices are $399 (16GB) and $499 (32GB)
    • No-commitment pricing: $599 (16GB) and $699 (32GB)
    Something that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere really is that for most of us, especially those that purchased right when the 3G came out the $200 price premium doesn't make any sense!

ATT's Early Termination Fee is a pro-rated $175 dollars, going down by $5 for every month that you're into your contract. My ETF right now would be $120. So I could terminate my current 3G contract and buy a new 32GB 3GS for a grand total of $420.

Can AT&T do anything without sucking?

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget the $18 dollar 'upgrade' fee. So AT&T wants to charge $518 for something that really costs $420.
    Last edited by bluespot; 2009-06-11 at 03:25 PM.

I have to pay the no-commitment fee. My finace has agreed to sign a contract and give me the iPhone. (she is with Alltel and doesn't want to switch) I'll pay for everything, bill included. My ETF fee is $125. I'll only have to pay $337.93 versus the $599.