Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: pre paid iphone

Default pre paid iphone
    hi im new to all this iphone stuff. i just bought a used iphone2g from ebay and a prepaid phone from the att website. my question is do i just activate the prepaid sim in the prepaid phone and stick it in my iphone or do i need to jailbreak and unlock it to get my iphone activated

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marlon6 View Post
    hi im new to all this iphone stuff. i just bought a used iphone2g from ebay and a prepaid phone from the att website. my question is do i just activate the prepaid sim in the prepaid phone and stick it in my iphone or do i need to jailbreak and unlock it to get my iphone activated
    Welcome To MMi and the iPhone family.
    If your using AT&T I would guess that you don't need to unlock it. You can activate the 2g and then jailbreak it.

ok because i have read that you have to jailbreak it first then put the sim card. when i try to update the iphone firmware it tells to me to put sim card but in the youtube videos it says take sim card out when updating firmware

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

You'll have to use pwnage tools or quickpwn to make the device activate/run on pay as you go.

QuickPWN should work fine fir your needs.

You should be able to update the firmware without a SIM inserted... As long as the phone is activated.

If it isn't activated, then you can go into DFU Mode to restore it with an updated firmware. You'd then need to quickpwn it afterwards.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 2009-06-02 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

can i activated it without my prepaid sim and how do i put the phone in dfu mode and what does this do

ok thnaks do i use quickpwn when i activate it
    Last edited by marlon6; 2009-06-03 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I never had a problem getting iTunes to activate when I was using pre-paid Too bad I busted my old iPhone, glad ATT didn't give a **** I cancelled my contract 2 weeks prior and still gave me the promo pricing on a new 16 gigger