Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T's intent to purchase 79 of the available Alltel markets

iPhone? More like MyPhone gomer713's Avatar
    Thanks

Default AT&T's intent to purchase 79 of the available Alltel markets
    Alltel Wireless subscribers in the Four Corners area soon will be switched to AT&T following its proposed purchase of the local Alltel network, company officials said Tuesday.
    The local Alltel network was made available for sale after the U.S. Department of Justice determined the Four Corners region lacked sufficient competition to allow Verizon Wireless to take over Alltel, its only major competitor, when it acquired the company in January.

While Verizon took control of Alltel markets across the country, propelling the company to become the largest wireless phone service provider in the U.S., 105 rural communities were set aside to be sold to a company that would offer new competition to each of the service areas.

AT&T, providers of the popular iPhone, confirmed Friday its intent to purchase 79 of the available Alltel markets, including Farmington and Durango, for $2.35 billion.

Alltel customers, however, likely won't have access for more than a year to AT&T services, including the iPhone, AT&T spokeswoman Erika Ulring said.

The proposed purchase requires approval of government agencies, including the Department of Justice and the FCC, which is anticipated to be cleared by the end of the company's business year, the company spokeswoman said.

After the purchase is approved, AT&T will begin installing its network technology on the Alltel towers that are incompatible with the company's wireless system. That process could take a year, Ulring said.

"We will update the technology to change it over so we can serve the customers in the Four Corners region," the AT&T spokeswoman said. "While we expect to transition the customers over to AT&T rate plans, in the short term, they can remain on their current or existing plans."

Verizon Wireless, owners of the local Alltel markets being sold, said nothing will change for Alltel subscribers until the sale is cleared by regulatory agencies, a process anticipated to take more than six months, Verizon spokeswoman Robin Nicol said.

"For Alltel customers who will eventually be purchased by AT&T, as of right now, everything is business as usual for them. There won't be any changes at all," Nicol said.

AT&T said it was excited to extend its network services into the Four Corners region. The company's network is available in other parts of New Mexico, including the Albuquerque and Santa Fe areas.

"Once the transition to AT&T is complete, (Farmington) will have access to all of the benefits of AT&T," the company spokeswoman said. "We anticipate that will get some people excited."

source: Home - Farmington Daily Times

This maybe exciting for the people living in the 79 markets that couldn't be bought by Verizon. I know for sure the people in this little oil-field town are, one of my buddys called me all surprised and happy cause he can now get an iPhone.lol
    most of you probably don't know much about the Four Corners area but other than it's large oil-field, it's one of the biggest Alltel markets. I think it's a good thing cause now I'll have signal when I go on our company trips over there. I wonder where the other markets located.

EDIT: Mods please put into correct topic if it's not, thanks (I wasn't sure)
    Last edited by gomer713; 2009-05-14 at 05:15 AM.