Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G with 2G plan?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3G with 2G plan?
    Hey everybody,

I'm having trouble getting a solid answer on this so I hope you can help me out! My friend is selling me his iphone 3G. I currently have the original iPhone with the $20 unlimited data plan. Am i able to use the 3G phone without updating my contract and paying $30 for unlimited data monthly? Would I be able to use the phone without any hinderance on features? Any help/advise is greatly appreciated.

Fuego3048

When you use the 3g its IMEI is sent over ATT's network, they'll know your using a 3g.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ahh, if I don't abuse it (ex. tethering) do you think they will do anything. I only ask because I'm mostly interested in the increased radio signal. At my house and job the 3G gets five bars, on the 2G at best it will get two bars.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

They will send you a text message a few times a month telling you to switch to a compatible data plan and if you don't you may incur additional charges. You've been warned.

good post i was wondering some of the same things myself. I have a couple more questions though.... i have the original iphone as well and plan on getting the new one this summer, when i got the original one we pulled a fast one on att because at the time they had the $5 unlimited text upgrade so we just choose the 200 text unlimtd data plan and did the $5 deal, is there any other shortcuts to take with att with the new iphones? Another question... where i live we dont get 3g yet and i have heard we are supposed to have it by now but who knows....so do you think if i complained to att enough i wouldnt have to pay for a 3g plan untill it comes to my area? I know thats kinda a hard/border line impossible question to answer but any optimism is appreciated! lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by howlett15 View Post
    good post i was wondering some of the same things myself. I have a couple more questions though.... i have the original iphone as well and plan on getting the new one this summer, when i got the original one we pulled a fast one on att because at the time they had the $5 unlimited text upgrade so we just choose the 200 text unlimtd data plan and did the $5 deal, is there any other shortcuts to take with att with the new iphones? Another question... where i live we dont get 3g yet and i have heard we are supposed to have it by now but who knows....so do you think if i complained to att enough i wouldnt have to pay for a 3g plan untill it comes to my area? I know thats kinda a hard/border line impossible question to answer but any optimism is appreciated! lol
    You probably won't get at&t to cheapen the data plan (or even disregard having a data plan) because you have no 3G coverage [currently]. Current BB and PDA data plans cost the same as the 3G iPhone's plan, and some of these phones still don't have 3G capability, including most Blackberries. The data plan price increase between iPhone models is not because of the 3G coverage, it's because at&t considers the iPhone a PDA, among other things.

There probably won't be any shortcuts to buying the next model without changing data and messaging plans (possibly negating the grandfathered add-ons like the $5 unlimited add on), as most reps are aware of and fairly capable of activating an iPhone and tacking on newer data plans.
    The only other option would be to buy the phone full price (if they continue to offer full pricing when the next model releases) or from eBay/CL/etc to try working around getting the upgraded plans. Even then, it's likely the occasional 'using an iPhone without applicable data plan' texts will show up once the new iPhone was used.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GenesisDH For This Useful Post:

howlett15 (2009-05-21)