Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Using my current ATT sim in Iphone

Default Using my current ATT sim in Iphone
    I'm trying to get this straight but haven't been able to find the info I'm looking for. I want to use my current ATT sim in an iphone, if I use INdependence to activate it do I replace the original iphone sim with my current ATT sim prior to activation. I know there is a tutorial but the new version of Independence doesn't have the put PEM file on it anymore, just activate via a one button step. Any info you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Use iNdependence. Activate. Put your existing SIM in.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

So do I leave the original sim in while I activate and then switch my old sim in after. Thanks for your reply as well!

just got an email from the Operator (developer of iNdependence). He says that the activation is tied to the sim so you need to have the sim (ie old att sim) in the phone at the time of the activation.

Now I wonder if this does anything to the sim or can i just put it back in my old phone anytime I want and still have it work?
    Last edited by NoleRx; 2007-09-17 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I had the same question... and I never got it answered. But I asked ATT to activate my new iPhone sim to work on my old phone (instead of actually using the old one). So they did that... then I just put the sim back in my iPhone (the same new iPhone sim) and it's been working ever since... i never used independence.

I guess that's another way of doing it. The thing is i don't want to renew my contract, just want to continue on month to month but with an iphone. Independence seems very easy to use and you don't have to go through all the steps to unlock, just activate the iphone through independence with your old sim in the iphone. Of course you need to add the $19.99 unlimited MediaMax plan to your old phone prior to putting it in the iphone to avoid any extra data fees.

So if I do that, the only difference in the end is that I have no visual voice mail right? If I have a regular plan + the unlimited 19.99 data plan, than everything else will work? After the activation of course.

Thanks

Right.

I did this but my sim is from a blackberry with unlimited. Would that be why I don't get EDGE access on the iphone? I have no data working at all unless I put the sim back in my berry.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'll repost.
    Last edited by jayc; 2007-09-23 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

what will happen if we update to 1.1.1?

Thanks

The world will slowly fall into oblivion.

Nah, you will get an "invalid sim" message, and will have to go back to ATT and get a new SIM card.

Has anybody (and dear god don't make me go back to the main post) found a correlation between the error messages and the state of the iPhone prior to upgrade?

For example: do locked but modded phones get the invalid sim error, while unlocked and modded phones get another type of error message?

This info might prove useful.
    Last edited by Gazoo; 2007-09-30 at 05:14 PM.
    The Cake Is A LIE!

Quote Originally Posted by FrogsOblivious View Post
    I had the same question... and I never got it answered. But I asked ATT to activate my new iPhone sim to work on my old phone (instead of actually using the old one). So they did that... then I just put the sim back in my iPhone (the same new iPhone sim) and it's been working ever since... i never used independence.
    Since you put the sim back in have you been charged for the i-phone data plan or are you still just using the unlimited data plan for $19.99/mo.