Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: use iPhone with AT&T without data plan?

Default use iPhone with AT&T without data plan?
    My family's cell phone plan is going to have a line eligible for an upgrade in April, a new iPhone is supposed to come out in June, and my birthday is in July. I will definitely be getting it. I want to give my old iPhone to my girlfriend (who is on our plan) when I get the new one. Will she be able to use it without having to buy the $30/month 3G network?

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

There's no point in using it without the data plan. You can only make and recieve calls. You can't even check your voicemail.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by bteamer View Post
    There's no point in using it without the data plan. You can only make and recieve calls. You can't even check your voicemail.
    .........You can also text and access the internet via wifi........

I use my iphone without data plan just fine.... just need to find a hotspot to access the internet... You can still use the EDGE network but it cost alot with the family plan. Not sure how much, i just leave the EDGE network off. Im sure the 3g network is the same..

Quote Originally Posted by bteamer View Post
    You can check you voicemail, it just does not download them first. You have to dial into AT&T to check VM.
    Last edited by walkman2001; 2009-02-12 at 05:29 PM.

Could you explain how to check VM walkman? I have iPHone without dataplan and cant call VM. TY

Quote Originally Posted by Hai1242 View Post
    Could you explain how to check VM walkman? I have iPHone without dataplan and cant call VM. TY
    I can explain. Open the dial pad and hold 1. Same as any other phone.

Error performing request
    Unknown Error

I get this message when I try to connect to voicemail Sad times PLz help!

I know no one actually wants to shell out the additional 30 bucks but we kinda have to being that we have DATA phones. I'd just go ahead and pay for the plan.

Just get an ipod touch

My wife and I both have iPhone 3g's. Hers has no data plan and it works fine. She has to get her voicemail like a regular cell instead of having the visual voicemail like mine.

She gets online via wi-fi when she needs it. Everyone always says to have the iPhone is pointless without a data plan but really its not if you dont mind not having internet everywhere. Plus since we are usually together she can use mine if she absolutely needs to get online.

hey shady6 how did you take the data plan off?

got another ? im have an att phone right now and im going to buy my cousins iphone, if i deactivate the data plan(however you do that) will i just be paying the same amount as im paying with my regular phone?
    Last edited by Politis89; 2009-02-23 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have the original iPhone and I can check my VM just fine..... my friend has a 3g and he also has no data. We both can just tap on the voicemail button and it dials in.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dman112's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea thats what is great about buying the phone with out the contract and not being locked down to the contract you save money.

Thanks

I'm in the same situation as Shady6 althought 2G. I bought my phone from Apple activated throught itunes. My wife decided she wanted one so I bought one second hand pwned it and switched the sims she did not want a data plan because she said she would not use it as much as I do. I used boss prefs to block the edge connection. She does calls and text and get voicemail like a regular phone. just not data connection.

Before I blocked the edge connection she could also send MMS with swirly.
    Just make sure the data connection is off and you will be OK. bill has not gone up one cent. No contact from ATT saying I need a data plan.
    Yeah I'm an iPhoneaholic!! So What!!!
    4s on 5.1.1 natural
    4 on 5.1.1 jailbroken on Straight Talk
    3Gs 5.0.1
    3G 3.1.3
    2G's on 1.1.4, 3.1.3

When you say switched sims, you just put one in from her old phone and it worked?

Geez, the print's a little big, huh? I guess I got carried away!
    Last edited by rjswinney; 2009-03-02 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone dman112's Avatar
    Thanks

Everything should work fine if you jailbreak i haven't had a problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rjswinney View Post
    When you say switched sims, you just put one in from her old phone and it worked?

Geez, the print's a little big, huh? I guess I got carried away!
    Yep just switched sims and used boss prefs to turn off edge connection.
    Yeah I'm an iPhoneaholic!! So What!!!
    4s on 5.1.1 natural
    4 on 5.1.1 jailbroken on Straight Talk
    3Gs 5.0.1
    3G 3.1.3
    2G's on 1.1.4, 3.1.3

Thanks

Dand people don't know the full potential of a jailbroke iphone yes any att sim will work in the iphone first without a data plan you want to jailbreak seeing's you cant turn off the internet without parental controls another 14.99 lol.

Jailbreak with quikpawn 2.2.5 ispw 2.2.1

ipsw files here >>>>> http://modmyi.com/forums/dlcat-firmware-6/

Guide here >>>>> iPhone 2.2.1 QuickPwn 2.2.5 Upgrade Guide | Code Retard

you can find quikpwn

but anyway with jailbreak you can aside get sbsettings thru cydia and when complete slide you're finger acroos the top bar and a menu comes down select more and ynd add the icons for edge and 3g and than you can turn them off or bossprefs.

you can as well skin you're iphone/ ipod touch everything can be skinned

but yes everyone any att sim will work on the iphone includeing gophone sims just jailbreak and follwo guide and than turn off edge and 3g and no data will slip thru
    Last edited by jingram20; 2009-03-10 at 11:01 AM.

Thanks

I purchased a prepaid activated att sim card and the iphone is already jailbroken and unlocked so i have a tmobile sim as my main carrier i have both services. Anyway, the ATT sim does not show in the settings near the wifi and i see att network and it just seems to work better with its original carrier. You need cydia to turn off edge and 3g and i don't have a data plan but wifi is fine since i have att prepaid it takes money off if the E icon shows and your checking your email then it switches to wifi you will get charged a penny or two before the phone switches to wifi, my point is att is expensive or can be but very cool if you need to check your email on the go!

Just popped back into this thread. The one who asked about turning off my wifes data plan. I went to the ATT kiosk at our mall and told them that I wanted to drop the data plan on my wifes phone number. She told me my wife would lose visual voicemail, no big deal. Turned it off and that was that. No harassment from ATT at all.

And now I recently used my razr to get them to put the 15 unlimited media net on my plan and drop the iphone data plan. Also changed my text to 200 regular messaging. Afterwards swapped the sim back to the iphone and now swirly works too and the bill goes down again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast