Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: use iPhone with AT&T without data plan?

I just jailbroke it and change APN to gibberish, works like a charm. So when I need to use data, I just change back to wap.cingular.com. You need to install APN Editing from Cydia though.

Quote Originally Posted by chox99 View Post
    I just jailbroke it and change APN to gibberish, works like a charm. So when I need to use data, I just change back to wap.cingular.com. You need to install APN Editing from Cydia though.
    Thanks for the tip. Right now I have a Pantech Slate so I'm just gonna e-bay that and use the proceeds to buy a cheap gophone and not worry about SBSettings and BossPrefs keeping my data off

Thanks

that makes sense cuz AT&T acts funny if you mentio prepaid and iPhone in the same sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    that makes sense cuz AT&T acts funny if you mentio prepaid and iPhone in the same sentence.
    LMAO. I just called AT&T and cancelled my contract as of April 1st. Then I told her I wanted to transfer my # to a gophone that I'm going to order. Long story short, I can transfer my # but I have to go to a "corporate store" to do so.

Then when we're almost finished she says "Wait, I forsee a problem. You can't use an iPhone on pre-pay" I said "Duh! I'm ordering a gophone package and selling my iPhone, wanna buy it?" I'm so putting the new sim in my iPhone while I'm in the store parking lot

I have been researching all over the internet for a solid answer, and looks like this site has the intelligent posters.

My plan is to get the 32gb iPhone when it comes out this summer, but I really have no need for the data plan since wifi is everywhere and I need the money. Everywhere I looked said that you can put your sim in your RAZR, take off the data plan after a month, put the sim back in the iphone, and then block any 3g data connection from the various methods.

But a lot of people say they get a text from at&t saying they will add the data plan automatically. I searched about masking the IMEI, but looks like that is just for the 2g iphones.

So have any of you guys got any messages from att saying they will add the plan back on? or should i just get a WinMo phone that isn't anal with plans.

thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Davidx86 View Post
    I have been researching all over the internet for a solid answer, and looks like this site has the intelligent posters.

My plan is to get the 32gb iPhone when it comes out this summer, but I really have no need for the data plan since wifi is everywhere and I need the money. Everywhere I looked said that you can put your sim in your RAZR, take off the data plan after a month, put the sim back in the iphone, and then block any 3g data connection from the various methods.

But a lot of people say they get a text from at&t saying they will add the data plan automatically. I searched about masking the IMEI, but looks like that is just for the 2g iphones.

So have any of you guys got any messages from att saying they will add the plan back on? or should i just get a WinMo phone that isn't anal with plans.

thanks guys
    IMEI is on every phone. It's sent out to AT&T every so often. They're going to know you have an iPhone and throw the $30/month data plan back on it. You're more or less in the same situation as I was. I have wifi everywhere in JTown and it's only $10/month.

Best bet, do what I did and cancel the contract and get a gophone monthly package. I've got 200 minutes and unlimited texting for about $56/month.

Now, I've only been doing this for less than a week but other members haven't had any problems. They'll tell you that you can't use the iPhone on a pre-pay package.

I'd say they don't care as long as you're not using their network for data. If you follow my route, in Cydia you'll find 'APN Editing' which allows you to edit the network for cellular data. Just change that to gibberish like "MMiRules" or anything you want and no data will get used except for wifi data

If you need any help just post here or PM me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LastSonOfKrypton For This Useful Post:

Davidx86 (2009-04-05)

So it's pretty much a guarantee that att will put the data plan back on my account when they see that I'm on an iphone? You would think they would only care about people using a cheaper data plan, but I guess they want every iphone user to pay up huh?

well that sucks, I guess I may go the prepaid route but I get a discount on my monthly bill on att from my work. or another option could be to get the 32gb when it comes out, sell it, and get the Xperia or some other other phone I can't get with att, just thinking about some routes to take.

But the question is still up, if anyone has been doing this for awhile and att has not forced the data plan on your account speak up!

Post Summary of a week of research
    Hey guys (and girls), I'm brand new to these forms but here is what I've concluded after reading tons on the internet. All I want is an iPhone without the data plan, I'm still in college and $30/month for a two year contract is $720 I could spend on other stuff.

With the 2g iPhone, this is easy. I think ATT will even simply let you remove the data plan. Also, you can jailbreak it and hack it and even change the IMEI number so ATT doesn't know you are using an iPhone. Changing the IMEI number is a big crime in the UK, but seems to be something that isnt a big deal in the US, and there is little prosecution in either country. A lot of people get upset when u ask how to change the IMEI, as stolen phones are blocked by their IMEI and people assume you are trying to use a stolen phone.

The 3g iPhone is a little more difficult but manageable. You have to buy it from the store, pay the $30 for a month, then call up and say you want to go back to your old phone. Switch the sim card back and make a few calls, then put the sim back in your iPhone. ATT can see that you are using an iPhone (and in one case someone said they red-flagged his account, but nothing more) but they dont do anything. I suspect that if this is a growing problem, they may re-add iPhone plans to all of these people at the same time, but I doubt this. Many people claim to have been doing this for 6+ months with no problems, even after the 2.2.1 update.

I personally am going to wait until the new iPhone comes out this summer and try to go back to my old plan and then swap the sim card back. If possible, I will change my IMEI to that of my old phone so that ATT can't see that I am using the iPhone, but i doubt this will be possible.

I have also heard of people that say as long as you dont turn the iPhone on with the simcard in it, it never sends the IMEI number to ATT. For example turn on old phone with sim in it, turn on iPhone without sim, transfer sim. This was only 1 account and it seems improbable.

Any comments / ideas / success stories / failure stories?
    Last edited by thebigj; 2009-04-10 at 06:26 PM.

Thanks

i bought an iPhone 3G outright from my service provider, because i stay pre-paid rather than on a plan. Therefore i have no data plan what so ever, and i just use the wifi's etc and that goes by fine.

Default Old sim in put in an Iphone that was given to me
    I am almost illiterate when it comes to IPhones, which will be evident by my questions

I have a ATT family plan with $30 unlimited texting. I don't want to add a $20 or $30 data plan to be able to use IPhone that was given to my son. He has an IPod touch and would like to put his Itunes library on an IPhone that was given to him by a friend of ours. We can't even get into the IPhone without plugging the USB into our computer and going to ITunes to activate a data plan.

I have been trying to understand unlocking, jailbreaking, etc. and I'm not savy enough to do that. Anyone who wants to offer very basic instructions is welcome.

Thanks

mannclann, I'm not sure of how to solve your itunes problem, but I did want to update my situation.

I got the 3GS a few weeks after it came out and of course had to have a data plan when I bought it from ATT. So I had it for about a month and then put the sim card in my old razr and then talked to someone at att online and explained to them I did not want the data plan and to put a data block since I do not have an iphone anymore.

After they took the data off and put a block, I put my sim card back in my iphone and have enjoyed a nice affordable bill since then. It must have been at least 4 or so months since I had it and ATT hasn't said anything yet.

I just wanted to confirm this since there are so many out there talking out of their *** about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidx86 View Post
    mannclann, I'm not sure of how to solve your itunes problem, but I did want to update my situation.

I got the 3GS a few weeks after it came out and of course had to have a data plan when I bought it from ATT. So I had it for about a month and then put the sim card in my old razr and then talked to someone at att online and explained to them I did not want the data plan and to put a data block since I do not have an iphone anymore.

After they took the data off and put a block, I put my sim card back in my iphone and have enjoyed a nice affordable bill since then. It must have been at least 4 or so months since I had it and ATT hasn't said anything yet.

I just wanted to confirm this since there are so many out there talking out of their *** about this.

im planning on doing the same thing you did, do you still need to go into sbsettings and turn off 3g and edge since the network already blocked the data on the plan? also about the warranty, i could still bring it into apple if anything happens to the phone right? i dont see why i wouldnt be able to but i would like to be sure

Quote Originally Posted by baoweezie View Post
    im planning on doing the same thing you did, do you still need to go into sbsettings and turn off 3g and edge since the network already blocked the data on the plan? also about the warranty, i could still bring it into apple if anything happens to the phone right? i dont see why i wouldnt be able to but i would like to be sure
    you don't need to do anything else since there will be a data block, I just disabled 3G since I don't use it.

And it wouldn't affect the warranty because I don't think apple cares about that. I am not positive but it wouldn't make any sense that it would since there's nothing loaded onto the iphone or any changes to it was made, just on at&t side

I currenly own an Iphone 3G, I am buying the new Iphone 4 at the end of the month, I want to give my current phone to my son without a data plan, I jailbroke the phone yesterday and try using my sons sim on it, it worked... the only question I have is have any one experienced where ATT slaps the data plan on to an line that has no data pland and that was not an iphone before? I am going to use boss prefs to block 3g and edge on his phone. my iphone 4 will have data

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knockout7 View Post
    I currenly own an Iphone 3G, I am buying the new Iphone 4 at the end of the month, I want to give my current phone to my son without a data plan, I jailbroke the phone yesterday and try using my sons sim on it, it worked... the only question I have is have any one experienced where ATT slaps the data plan on to an line that has no data pland and that was not an iphone before? I am going to use boss prefs to block 3g and edge on his phone. my iphone 4 will have data
    Don't worry about using bossprefs once iOS 4 comes out, as it has an option to disable cellular data like BossPrefs does now.
    You're best bet is to call CS and disabling data on his line before you let you son start using the iPhone.

Even if you disable data, that doesn't destroy AT&T's ability to abide by their ToS and add on an applicable data plan. You should be able to skirt by now, but that's not a guarantee you will be able to in the future. Just keep that in mind, and it'd be a good idea to expect to have to add the [minimum] $15/200MB plan to his line eventually.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

I think the people here are trying to do the same thing I am for my wife - you want to use the iPhone on the AT&T network for someone who doesn't need or want roaming data: Essentially an iPod touch with a phone app.

Here's the way I did it: I used Pwnage tool to jailbreak. Went into Cydia and installed the Ultrasnow (unlock) and then BossPrefs. Used BossPrefs to disable 3G, Edge, etc. (SBSettings may be the replacement for BossPrefs, but it seems to work for what I want). Done.

I'd like to do the opposite and find a way to dump my voice plan. Unfortunately, it seems like the only way to do that is to get a doctor to sign a paper saying that are you are deaf . . . There is a guide on using an iPad data plan on your iPhone for a 30 dollar (well now it would be 25) dollar a month iPhone plan, but only 1 sim card per iPad can be activated at a time -- which means that you can't just borrow someone's iPad 3g to activate a sim because it deactivates theirs . . .

Still, I guess I can do this if I want to shell out an extra $630 upfront for an iPad limited to wifi and that would be mostly wasted on me(I don't think I'd use an iPad that often, to be honest).

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Faxmonkey,

No, an unlimited number of SIMs can be activated on one iPad. My friend has done it at least 3 tines already (mine was the second one done and it still works).
    Besides, there's a guide in the unlocking/activation forums here that details a way to activate an iPad plan w/out an iPad. Easy-peasy.

whops nvm
    Last edited by doomman; 2010-06-16 at 10:48 AM.

you can if you unlock it
    i did it with my uncles iphone

but he bit the bullet and bought the plan
    its worth it

plus you might have surprising charges if you don't have the plan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast