Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Buying unlocked iphone,using my Cingular(AT&T) sim

Default Buying unlocked iphone,using my Cingular(AT&T) sim
    Ok i have been thru most of the pages in this Forum and nothing really has come close expt for 1 but it didnt really answer what i was looking for.

I have a Cingular Sim but since AT&T owns it now technically im on an AT&T plan.
    Dont have any Data plan but i have plenty of minutes and unlimited txt.

Question:
    Can i buy an iphone 1st gen (unlocked or not) on ebay then use my SIM?

If I deactivate the EDGE and just use my WIFI will they still require me to get the DATA PLAN?

Will AT&T detect that i have Iphone and make me add a Data plan
    (youll probably say yes to this question but is there a way to get around this?)

I hear that theres a good chance that if i unlocked an Iphone that they(apple or AT&T) will just "Brick" it making it an expensive paper weight?

If for sum reason i can have a 1st gen iphone w/o data plan, EDGE turned off, AT&T no caring that i have an iphone using a basic family plan, unlocked and jailbroken... is it hard to keep it that way and still b able to atleast get up to v2.1 firmware iphone update???

Another thing kinda not very related to this. i have a friend that have a 1st gen iphone w/o a data plan for i think over 6 months now. anyway he got his also from ebay, he is also using his old Cellular one Sim, i think AT&T also own them now. he said to me that everything works fine but i just wanna make sure that im not gonna end up screwing myself by buying an unlocked iphone then not be able to use my old Cingular one Sim card.

THANKS in advance

Yes you can use your sim.

Yes AT&T CAN detect your using an iphone and WILL make you add the "iphone data" plan, you may get by for a little, but they will notice.

Like cpjr stated, the iPhone can be used by any SIM assuming it is unlocked. If you really want a new SIM, complain about reception issues, and AT&T will give you a new one free of charge (in my experience).

AT&T is capable of detecting a new phone on the line, specifically the iPhone, and EVENTUALLY, will add the data plan.

oh that sucks so the only real way for me to get an Iphone is to either switch to T mobile or just get the iphone from the AT&T store.

their data plan and 200 texts is only $20/mo

well worth it in my opinion, especially since I was paying $35/mo for the same thing with my old blackberry
    Last edited by AboveTheLogic; 2008-09-20 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I was talking to the customer service ppl online today and they told me that if i have the old iphone and for sum reason i was able to unlock it that they wont force the DATA PLAN on me is that true??

Quote Originally Posted by TehNaz View Post
    I was talking to the customer service ppl online today and they told me that if i have the old iphone and for sum reason i was able to unlock it that they wont force the DATA PLAN on me is that true??
    that's a nice one! where did u get that?
    wait, u said you said u talked to the customer service ppl right?
    hmmmmmmmmm

yea i talked to the d00ds on the retail places you know where u can personaly buy em and the one online... the online one took sumtime for them to answer me straight but yea they said they wont force you. my friend has the 1st iphones and his had it since the beginning of summer he said no1 has told him to get the data plan

wow. well i guess you just have to try to see...

im in the same situation as you TehNaz i even have the old cingular sim family plan and everything.

Im already using the iPhone 2G and it works perfect i dont have the data plan i guess is safe for now eventually i will add the data plan since they force you to get it

But what is better to add the data plan now? or should i wait till they find out? anyone? Thanks

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Seriously why get a iPhone if you are not going to have a data plan. It's a complete waste if you ask me.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

if you have wifi almost everywhere you go I see it more as a waste to have it. Here in IOWA I have it everywhere at school, all the coffee shops and grocery stores have it. There is almost no need (although I still have it), but I can see some people not wanting it. I would say 85% of the time I am covered with wifi
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Yes exactly why i dont what the DATA PLAN. just like what sziklassy said, im in college and almost everytime i have time to play around with my cellfone i am covered with WIFI so why pay an extra 30 bucks to get a slower internet PLUS here in poughkeepsie NY we still dont have 3G, again its useless to me.

OnE-ShoT did you have to unluck your iphone??? what else did you do to it to make it work fine and what did you do to turn of the EDGE

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Just unlock it and run it on ATT... if/when they eventually find out they will (most likely) text you or inform you in some other way that you will need to add the data plan. As long as you are not pulling data they can;t charge you. Quite frankly if you wanted to you could contest this in court. I doubt they have grounds to charge you for a service you are not using when you haven't signed a new contract.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Ok. All valid points. Can you access the iTunes store from WIFI as well as the APP Store and CYDIA? Just wondering. I still would get data plan though because what is going to happen when they finally implement MMS onto iPhone. But then I guess if you are dealing with it now, you'd be able to cope with it then...

With that being said.. I just got OWNED.. I'll take the loss my bad guys.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

i think you can only access itunes store thru wifi the app store is both so ur good in that department. i would get the data plan if it was a little lower cuz my reasoning is why buy the data plan when almost every1 has wifi so they should b love to give the data plan a lil less than 30 bucks