Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Activation

Default AT&T Activation
    I bought a used Iphone on Ebay and just recently, unlocked/jailbroke it using winpwn 2.5. It is now asking me to activate it through Itunes. I just want to know if this is a good idea? I dont want AT&T to charge me for that $30 data plan. Is there a better way to activate the iphone (maybe have winpwn do it for me?). It says "slide for emergency", but it still lets me accept incoming calls. WTF. I just want to use the WIFI, Phone, & text. Thanks

If you are planning to use AT&T service then Itunes will have to activate for it to work properly. If your using another service (ei. Tmo) then you will have to "unlock" the phone and activate through pwn.

Regardless, if your using AT&T's network...there is no permanent way of getting out from under the "iphone data plan"...it is a requirement from AT&T. And they WILL notice you've got an iphone, your imei is broadcasted to them if the phone is active on their service. Dont have the plan, eventually they will notice and make you add it.

Thanks, and that blows. We'll I'll try it for a month or so and maybe just sell it if its not worth the $20+ extra a month

***UPDATE***
    I went ahead and used WINPWN to activate it this time w/ the 3G sim that the buyer gave me. I then put my sim that was activated in my Nokia n82 into the Iphone and it works great. It shows up on AT&T site as my old old Nokia 6682. I haven't put a sim in that phone in about 6 months. The only thing I'm scared of is racking up data charges since I don't have a package. I guess I have to be careful and keep turning of the edge when I'm not using?

***UPDATE***
    I went ahead and used WINPWN to activate it this time w/ the 3G sim that the buyer gave me. I then put my sim that was activated in my Nokia n82 into the Iphone and it works great. It shows up on AT&T site as my old old Nokia 6682. I haven't put a sim in that phone in about 6 months. The only thing I'm scared of is racking up data charges since I don't have a package. I guess I have to be careful and keep turning of the edge when I'm not using?
    Last edited by Pigpen75; 2008-09-19 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

It will eventually revert to the ATT data plan (even if it doesn't say so on ATT website).

Just curious, not meant to offend you here, but what's the point of having the iphone if there is no data plan? Well, other than the "I have an iPhone" factor "P
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Just curious, not meant to offend you here, but what's the point of having the iphone if there is no data plan? Well, other than the "I have an iPhone" factor "P

I have a 2G on Edge, and it blows ****. I was trying to access mmi at work the other day and it took forever. Honestly sz I would rather just save $20 a month and use my wifi at home.
    I would have my URL here so you could hear our music but apparently that's sig spam. WTF?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionarymc View Post
    I have a 2G on Edge, and it blows ****. I was trying to access mmi at work the other day and it took forever. Honestly sz I would rather just save $20 a month and use my wifi at home.
    Fair enough. Although I have not ever had this problem. Well, I have with MMI, but not really with any website that has a huge server (let's say eBay for example). In any case, ATT locks you into the contract. I guess I would consider this fair with the 3G, but the first gen price isn't even subsidized. Personally, I don;t even know how ATT can justify making you sign a contract and pay full price for a phone.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionarymc View Post

You stole the words out of my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigpen75 View Post
    You stole the words out of my mouth.
    exactly!

free the iphone!
    no activation!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    If you are planning to use AT&T service then Itunes will have to activate for it to work properly. If your using another service (ei. Tmo) then you will have to "unlock" the phone and activate through pwn.

Regardless, if your using AT&T's network...there is no permanent way of getting out from under the "iphone data plan"...it is a requirement from AT&T. And they WILL notice you've got an iphone, your imei is broadcasted to them if the phone is active on their service. Dont have the plan, eventually they will notice and make you add it.
    I just read this post and wondering if you can help me? I just used quickpwn to JB my 3G and plan on getting a sim adapter today in the mail, However after updateing to 2.1 useing quickpwn itunes asked me if I wanted to activate which I didnt but now with an old att sim says "waiting to activate" but still is reckognized in itunes, syncs with itunes etc and without a sim card seems fine? I have cydia, installer, wifi etc so my question is when I get the sim adapter will it "activate" this 3G or should I use winpwn to again restore and re-jailbreak so I can activate it via winpwn or does winpwn even offer activation or the 3G yet seeing no unlock available? I hope this isnt as confuseing as it sounds to me?
    [FONT="Arial Black"]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by milokusel88 View Post
    i encountered a lot of facts to support my argument!

no link to toyota websites or you will be banned.
    please read the forum rules before putting any link on your post.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

oic , just like the bots on group chat in messenger, thanks simon