Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can ATT find out that you are tethering?

Question Can ATT find out that you are tethering?
    ok... I got it work tethering on my iPhone 3G with vista.

Is there anyway that att can tells that i'm tethering from my iPhone?

did anyone get caught for tethering?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yes that's a att no,no. they can tell thru data usage. they will start charging you the $80 laptop connect if they find out.

Thanks

idk...i went to my local ATT store and i asked the man in charge there "does ATT have any policies on tethering" and he replied with "yes its 15 dollars a month to add it to your plan" I explained to him how i already got it to work without paying for it and he said "if you got it to work then your okay" So right now Im trusting the ATT store there haha, I think youll be fine as long as you dont stream movies etc on it. Simple web browsing etc is okay
    17" MacBook Pro
    G5
    iPhone 3GS 16G 3.1 Jailbroken//AT&T
    follow me on [email protected]

Green Apple
    Thanks

I used to work for AT&T, there is an alert that pops up if your data usuage goes over a certain point and then they automatically slap on the extra charge.

I know a manger for AT&T, and this person said no they can't tell. Just don't abuse the data usage.

They can't tell 100%, it's just that if you are using an abnormally high amount of data, they may charge ya.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

I heard freakingly stories from a softbank employee, former vodafone in japan, about how 1) they do know and 2) don't say anything until you went all the way to the amount you'll probably not be able to pay without selling your sister into slavery. I think the iphone's speed is limited by the hardware but your laptop isn't... Anyway, 10,000 dollars in a single day until they call you and ask you to stop is a risk I don't wanna take...

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danvicente View Post
    idk...i went to my local ATT store and i asked the man in charge there "does ATT have any policies on tethering" and he replied with "yes its 15 dollars a month to add it to your plan" I explained to him how i already got it to work without paying for it and he said "if you got it to work then your okay" So right now Im trusting the ATT store there haha, I think youll be fine as long as you dont stream movies etc on it. Simple web browsing etc is okay
    There is no tethering plan available for the iPhone so be careful! My pcmcia card contract is finished this month so I am looking into tethering. It will be nice not to pay $60 anymore.

They can't tell because of the fact that a jailbroken iPhone will download the same kind of things a pc can, for instance downloading an app from cydia or installer is indistinguishable from downloading an app on a pc. the only way they can tell is if they do deep packet inspection and then they can tell. I would advise using a VPN so that they can't do deep packet inspection on it though.

Thanks

I started tethering yesterday and I for firefix, aim and utorrent working. AT&T can definitely tell by the browser you are using

Thanks

They can tell.

Default i talked to att myself
    if you go to att's website, youll see contact us and from there you can have a live chat with them. thats just what i did and asked some of these questions. below is our conversation. i have picked out the noted parts to safe space and less reading for you all.

"richard marasek: andrew, is it ok to do so. i heard a lot about a future 30 dollar charge and im just wanting to clear things up

Ourana Camacho: Thank you for your patience, Andrew. Unfortunately, it is not possible to tether with the iphone at this time.

richard marasek: it is possible, but for those that dont have netshare or a jailbroken iphone but some are waiting for your new plan for tethering. ok, next question. is it possible for att to see that you have tethered or not sense hacked phones do the same as pcs anyways

Ourana Camacho: No, it is not possible for AT&T to detect the device has been hacked.

richard marasek: is it possible for them to detect if youre tethering though. lots of questions have been asking that on forums

Ourana Camacho: No, there is no way for AT&T to detect you are tethering the device.

richard marasek: so, im not saying its ok but with ppl not wanting to pay the extra charge for tethering, will it be free sense we pay the unlimited data

Ourana Camacho: Yes, I believe it will be free, since they have an unlimited data plan.

richard marasek: ok, thanks for your help."

notice he says att CAN NOT tell that you are tethering and he says he THINKS it will be free. i hope this clears things up. and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    I started tethering yesterday and I for firefix, aim and utorrent working. AT&T can definitely tell by the browser you are using
    you can get firefox, aim, and bittorrent for the iphone now so they cant hold that against you now.
    Last edited by redspade04; 2008-11-18 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I just move to a place and i don,t have any internet,i been tethering for the last 5 days and so far i have download 3gigs of data out my Iphone,Im with Rogers 6 gb plan, Im allow to do that with rogers?
    Anybody in Canada had any problems with tethering?

sorry if this not att related,Don't want to write a new tread.

to me, as long as you dont stream movies or download "heavy" stuff, you'll be fine
    my usage kinda up to 1G (989M something), tethering sometimes , wactchinh movies via orb alot (using a little trick VoiPover3G)
    my bill seems to be ok, i have not received any warning from ATT yet

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I guess they can check the phone to the data you are pulling. If you have a basic cell phone and are downloading mp3s, accessing P2P, etc. it is more obvious than a blackberry or iPhone downloading since the abundance of software. A flag after a certain point of usage will trigger them to look into it but I know people who use very little data a month tethered an have never been flagged. I use it when I am at a customer site and need to download a file or something when I don't have internet access but I would be carful to use it frequently.

They can become suspicious and look into your account if they see that you are using up a lot of data every month. I personally use my iphone as a modem to surf the web on my laptop when i dont have internet access and i havent had any problems, just make sure you dont go and start downloading stuff or streaming videos and you should be fine.

im using my 3g to listen to pandora non stop. it is on prolly 15hrs a day. plus im tethering it to download songs, torrents, and watch movies. ive went to tons of flash web sites and nothing. ive been tethering ever sense the 3g first came out too. im using over 5gb a month, sometimes almost 10gb.

in my opinion, you are safe. you got a unlimited data plain for a reason, use it. they arent going to look and see you usually use 500mb and then suddenly youre using 1gb and flag you.

for those that are new to jailbroken phones and web apps, theirs torrent downloaders for te iphone, flash players if you go to special websites, a thing called seeq pod, mobilecast, qik, and the list goes on.

if you get flagged you can just tell them you have a jailbroken phone. they cant do much past that

Terms and Conditions | AT&T

Check this out, its straight from At&t website. Scroll down till you get see data plans and things like that, it says that At&t has the right to add extra charges if you go over 5gb a month

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redspade04 View Post
    im using my 3g to listen to pandora non stop. it is on prolly 15hrs a day. plus im tethering it to download songs, torrents, and watch movies. ive went to tons of flash web sites and nothing. ive been tethering ever sense the 3g first came out too. im using over 5gb a month, sometimes almost 10gb.

in my opinion, you are safe. you got a unlimited data plain for a reason, use it. they arent going to look and see you usually use 500mb and then suddenly youre using 1gb and flag you.

for those that are new to jailbroken phones and web apps, theirs torrent downloaders for te iphone, flash players if you go to special websites, a thing called seeq pod, mobilecast, qik, and the list goes on.

if you get flagged you can just tell them you have a jailbroken phone. they cant do much past that
    I tether only a few times a month and use maybe 100MB each time when I am working from somewhere that does not have it and its purley web browsing and the occasional document download.

through my phone tho, I stream Pandora all day even when drivin so I rack up quite a bit of data using the phone alone.

Quote Originally Posted by bennygarcia06 View Post
    Terms and Conditions | AT&T

Check this out, its straight from At&t website. Scroll down till you get see data plans and things like that, it says that At&t has the right to add extra charges if you go over 5gb a month
    Ya. Any provider is like that. If you abuse data, they have the right to disable your line or start charging you per kb. I doubt tho that you will get a crazy data bill unless you are blatently using data but I have never heard ATT just sending anyone a bill for going over.

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    I tether only a few times a month and use maybe 100MB each time when I am working from somewhere that does not have it and its purley web browsing and the occasional document download.

through my phone tho, I stream Pandora all day even when drivin so I rack up quite a bit of data using the phone alone.

Ya. Any provider is like that. If you abuse data, they have the right to disable your line or start charging you per kb. I doubt tho that you will get a crazy data bill unless you are blatently using data but I have never heard ATT just sending anyone a bill for going over.
    Yea ive never heard of them doing it either, i put that there for the guy above that said he used 5gb a month and alomost 10 sometimes, dont be suprised if you get slammed with a nice little bill one of these months

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast