Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is it possible to activate pay-as-you-go (GoPhone) with included SIM?

Question Is it possible to activate pay-as-you-go (GoPhone) with included SIM?
    After jailbreaking a 1.1.2 OTB iPhone, I'd like to activate the SIM that came with the iPhone on a pay-as-you-go (GoPhone) plan. I am not currently an AT&T customer.

Which is the best method to do this?
    a) Activate pay-as-you-go online thru AT&T's website.
    b) Call AT&T customer service to activate pay-as-you-go.
    c) Go to AT&T store and buy a GoPhone prepaid refill card and activate at the store or AT&T's website.
    d) Buy Cingular/AT&T prepaid SIM off eBay and activate.
    e) Buy a GoPhone Phone and SIM, activate, and swap the SIM into the iPhone.

Ideally, I'd like to use the SIM that came with the iPhone with a pay-as-you-go plan. If this is not possible, how should I go about buying a real GoPhone SIM?
    Last edited by mfcd00; 2008-01-22 at 06:44 PM.

ok i did this, i restore to 1.1.2 before 1.1.3 was out and after is was restored i activated it then jailbroke it again.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy72 View Post
    ok i did this, i restore to 1.1.2 before 1.1.3 was out and after is was restored i activated it then jailbroke it again.
    um ok. i think you replied to the wrong thread.

D) buy a prepaid GoPhone SIM from eBay, then activate it online at the ATT website. Don't call them.

See my message here for instructions on how I did it. I think it will help you out.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by TedPax View Post
    D) buy a prepaid GoPhone SIM from eBay, then activate it online at the ATT website. Don't call them.

Ted
    ok i will do that, because what i tried doesn't seem to work. here's what i tried:

i went to an at&t store and bought a $15 pay-as-you-go 13-digit activation code. i activated it on at&t's website with the sim that came with the iphone. it activated fine, but my iphone still says "no service" for some reason. so i was able to link the $15 to the iccid, but the iphone doesn't seem to recognize it. so i guess i'm out $15.

PAYG not available with SIM originally supplied with Iphone

Only PYP after failing credit check

Numerous guides how to do this are scattered around this forum

Thumbs up Activate Pay-As-You-Go with iPhone's SIM!
    So it appears it is possible to activate Pay-As-You-Go (PAYG) with the AT&T SIM that came with the iPhone.

Here's what I did (I have a 1.1.2 OTB BL 4.6 iPhone jailbroken to 1.1.1):
    1. Went to AT&T store and got a PAYG 13-digit activation code. Just comes on the receipt they give you.
    2. Signed up online at AT&T's website for the $.10/min PAYG GoPhone plan using my iPhone's ICCID, IMEI, and the 13-digit activation code I purchased at the AT&T store.
    3. Upgraded my iPhone to firmware 1.1.2 and jailbroke it.
    4. AT&T logo then appears in the upper left corner, which means it's connected to the network.
    5. Made a couple test calls to other AT&T numbers, which are free (mobile-to-mobile to other AT&T customers do not incur the per minute or $1 daily usage fee. Essentially free unlimited calling!)

So it's definitely possible to activate PAYG with the included SIM that comes with the iPhone.

A couple things to note:
    - iPhone must be jailbroken to 1.1.2. When my iPhone was on 1.1.1, it would not connect to the AT&T network, most likely because my phone is a 1.1.2 OTB with 4.6 BL.
    - I never activated the SIM that came with my iPhone, so it was still a "virgin". But I assume this method would work with any AT&T SIM, whether it was activated previously or not. You don't need a GoPhone branded SIM to activate PAYG. Any AT&T SIM should theoretically work.
    - Upgrading the firmware from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 will wipe out any third-party apps you may have installed. You personal data (music, videos, photos, contacts, etc) will not be wiped out.
    - You don't need to use anySIM or any hardware SIM unlock to use an AT&T SIM.

My next step is to upgrade to 1.1.3 and see if everything still works. I will update this thread if and when I do.

Default Incorrect SIM
    mfcd00, I tried following your directions, but with no luck. Here's my situation:

Brand new iPhone (04.03.13_G, 4.6_M3S2)

I purchased a PAYG SIM at an AT&T store with $25. The receipt did have a 13 digit code (underneath the barcode), but it had letters and numbers in it, and the web form said that it needed to be numbers only. I tried leaving that part blank, and the form went through but with $0.00. I was able to go back in later and add $10.00 to the account.

At the 1.1.1 jailbreak stage and also at the 1.1.2 jailbreak stage, my iPhone always says "Incorrect SIM: This iPhone must be used with an approved SIM". This was happening with the original iPhone SIM, and this happened after I set up the ICCID of the original SIM for PAYG, and this happened with the new AT&T PAYG SIM that I also tried activating for this iPhone. Basically, no matter what I tried to do, I always go the incorrect SIM message.

Any advice?

Thanks!

the fact that you're getting an "incorrect sim" error when you try to jailbreak 1.1.1 seems odd. i don't recall seeing that error when i jailbroke 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 with the original at&t sim (pre-activation). my iphone modem fw is 4.02.13_G (1.1.2 OTB, 4.6BL) so i wonder if that makes a difference. did your iphone have 1.1.3 OTB? if so, i'm not sure if the process i outlined for PAYG will work for you.

I don't know if it was 1.1.2 or 1.1.3. I never activated it through iTunes, just jumped right into downgrading and jailbreaking in 1.1.1. This is a brand new iPhone, so it may well have been 1.1.3.