Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is there an alternative non iphone 3G data plan that works on 3g iphone?

Default Is there an alternative non iphone 3G data plan that works on 3g iphone?
    Is there?

For example, I currently have the 1st gen iPhone with ATT, but I use their Media Max plan which cost 19.99. I know it's the same cost as the iphone data plan, but I use the media max plan so they don't know that I have the iphone (corporate discount reason).

Is there one for 3G? I am thinking about upgrading to 3G, only if I can get a non iphone 3G data plan to work on it though.

Better yet, would i be able to get the MEdia net plan for $15 (it's available for some of their 3G flip phones) and have the 3G capabilities work? Actually I am confused here, are there 3G specific plans, or it is phone dependent? reason I ask is because their flip phones are 3G, but they offer the same media net/max plan that I currently use on my Edge iPhone. Do I even need to change my data plan to get the 3G speed if i get a 3G iphone?

If you buy a 3G Iphone, they will activate it before you leave AND make you add the "3G Iphone Data Plan".

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    If you buy a 3G Iphone, they will activate it before you leave AND make you add the "3G Iphone Data Plan".
    not if i get it off ebay...

speaking of which, how do those ebay sellers get their phones?

True, you can attempt to add another type of "data" plan onto your account through AT&T, it may work for awhile....but they monitor that stuff pretty heavily. They will be able to see your using an Iphone (your phone serial# is transmitted, regardless of simcard) and if they catch it you'll get a mean letter stating that if you do not add the proper "Iphone Data Plan" to your account, then they will.

The $20 unlimited internet for my GoPhone works great on my 3G iPhone...

But yes, they do monitor it, and see the IMEI number, and sent me a text message they other day...

See my other thread:
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/t/25775...t-message.html

The only true way around this, is to change the iPhone IMEI number to the IMEI number of you flip phone that you want them to think u are using.

People on eBay probably bought them and wiggled out of the plan and early termination fee, or purchased it outright on release day when the activation servers went down... --That's how I got mine... Told them my Dad wanted to upgrade to the 3G iPhone, paid $200 for it, then put the new SIM in my Dad's old phone, called AT&T and told them my Dad was not ready for the switch to the new iPhone yet, and we'd call back when he was ready, and they put everything back to like it was... So then I just put a GoPhone SIM in my new iPhone. :-)

I ordered a 3g from ATT it will be here in 2 weeks, I have a regular iPhone. Us there any way for me to wiggle around a new contract and walk out with a 3g iPhone with out stealing it LOL

Quote Originally Posted by shadowck5000 View Post
    I ordered a 3g from ATT it will be here in 2 weeks, I have a regular iPhone. Us there any way for me to wiggle around a new contract and walk out with a 3g iPhone with out stealing it LOL
    Find someone you know who has AT&T and does not have a problem committing to AT&T for 2 years and have them buy the phone for you, then switch back to their current phone and give you the new 3G iPhone...

Or, find someone who just upgraded recently and do the same thing... Like, if your friend just upgraded to the new 3G iPhone, have him go back in, and say something happened, and he wants another... --They probably will just start the 2 year agreement over again... --That's how it worked for us... We had like a year left on our original 2 year agreement, and instead of making it a total of 3 years, they just started the 2 years as of Friday, when the iPhone came out...

Last option, upgrade, then "move" somewhere that does not have AT&T coverage. Usually they will require proof, like a utility bill or rental agreement with the name of the primary account holder on it... Maybe it's about time that you move out to some rural place in Alaska with your Uncle?

Dont you guys know that once the iPhone has been activated, you can use any, i repeat: ANY, at&t or cingular sim card!!!! Therefore, you can use whatever plan you want and get the $20 unlimited data plan!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vincentpjimenez View Post
    Dont you guys know that once the iPhone has been activated, you can use any, i repeat: ANY, at&t or cingular sim card!!!! Therefore, you can use whatever plan you want and get the $20 unlimited data plan!!!!!
    I had a feeling this way so! -Especially after seeing that my Pay As You Go SIM from AT&T works, and the $20 unlimited internet works great on the iPhone as well.... I figured it would probably be the same for people who are in post-pay contracted plans... Good to know.
    ===========================================

DFU Restore Mode - Quick How-To:
    1. Power phone OFF.
    2. Hold power + home for 10 seconds.
    3. Let go of power and continue to hold home until iTunes finds the phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBucklin View Post
    The $20 unlimited internet for my GoPhone works great on my 3G iPhone...

But yes, they do monitor it, and see the IMEI number, and sent me a text message they other day...

See my other thread:
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/t/25775...t-message.html

The only true way around this, is to change the iPhone IMEI number to the IMEI number of you flip phone that you want them to think u are using.

People on eBay probably bought them and wiggled out of the plan and early termination fee, or purchased it outright on release day when the activation servers went down... --That's how I got mine... Told them my Dad wanted to upgrade to the 3G iPhone, paid $200 for it, then put the new SIM in my Dad's old phone, called AT&T and told them my Dad was not ready for the switch to the new iPhone yet, and we'd call back when he was ready, and they put everything back to like it was... So then I just put a GoPhone SIM in my new iPhone. :-)
    I think you're a liar. If your dad wanted the 3G iPhone, he would have to buy it himself. When the "activation" servers went down, it didn't prevent AT&T from locking you into a data plan and writing to the SIM. I know this because it happened to me. They couldn't get iTunes to activate the phone, so they sent me home with a "connect to iTunes" iphone. Once, I connected it to iTunes, my iPhone immediately acquired signal and was already activated. You can't just call AT&T and say "I'm not ready for the iPhone, take the data plan off." and keep the iPhone.

You fail, go Internet somewhere else.

does my current $20 data plan work on 3G/ i'm using media max on my 1st gen edge iphone right now, been using it for quite some time

Quote Originally Posted by iJuleguy View Post
    I think you're a liar. If your dad wanted the 3G iPhone, he would have to buy it himself. When the "activation" servers went down, it didn't prevent AT&T from locking you into a data plan and writing to the SIM. I know this because it happened to me. They couldn't get iTunes to activate the phone, so they sent me home with a "connect to iTunes" iphone. Once, I connected it to iTunes, my iPhone immediately acquired signal and was already activated. You can't just call AT&T and say "I'm not ready for the iPhone, take the data plan off." and keep the iPhone.

You fail, go Internet somewhere else.
    Sorry; I'm not lying.. I have no reason to. --My Dad did not want the 3G iPhone... I did! He just wanted his same old original iPhone, which he still has... --When the activation servers went down, the AT&T plan still got changed to the 3G data plan, but I just called them up and switched it back and said I wasn't ready to make the switch to the new phone yet, and they downgraded me back to the old iPhone data plan. --So now, I have a 3G phone for $200, and my Dad has his old iPhone up and running just like it was (only with a new SIM card, but he didn't notice this).

I put a prepaid SIM in mine, hooked it up to iTunes, and activated just fine a few days later (after activation servers came back online).

Anyways, I'm just telling you what I did. My Dad had the original iPhone with the cheaper data plan. When I got the 3G phone, the upgraded to the more expensive 3G data plan. When I called them and complained that my new 3G phone was not working (since activation servers were down) and also told them I really wasn't ready to make the switch to the new phone, they told me to put the new SIM from the new phone into the old phone. Then they switched the data plan back. Then I had to wait for activation servers to come back online that night, but when my dad hooked his old iphone up to the computer, it activated the new SIM and was working like normal... I don't know how else to explain it...

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding and you thought I was lying...
    ===========================================

DFU Restore Mode - Quick How-To:
    1. Power phone OFF.
    2. Hold power + home for 10 seconds.
    3. Let go of power and continue to hold home until iTunes finds the phone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I have the media unlimited plan on my account and switch my SIM back and forth between my 1st and 2nd generation iphones with no service issues at all. I actually faked my IMEI on my first gen phone which I gave to customer care so they would THINK i was using a Samsung flip phone instead.

How are you guys getting $20 unlimited internet? i see it as $30. I need to switch and could use some insider help. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, check out and reply to my new thread:
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/t/36525...t-tmobile.html

you CAN get the $15 unlimited medianet plan for iphone 3g. but as someone mentioned above if you abuse it you will get flagged and will receive a threatening message. but speaking of adding the plan heres what i did:

1. find a moto razr or any samsung or any non-pda/smartphone.
    2. put your sim in it.
    3. use for few hours.
    4. head on to att.com/wireless as it would show the device you're using.
    5. click manage features, find medianet unlimited for $15
    6. submit.
    7. put sim in iphone 3g/2g, voila.

Check this out to learn more about iTunes alternatives.

^ St00pid spammer. I wouldn't mind saving $15 a month... I'll try what you did nisarg64
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

I can't get my ATT Blackberry Sim to work with the ATT Data Network using iPhone 3G and Gevery chip. I have a corp paid BB Sim it works for voice but not for data. It works fine for voice but not with data, it says 'could not activate cellular data network'. I know the BB has a data plan because I use it for all sorts of data and BB. The Sim card is a little older and still says Cingular, could that be part of the problem or do I need to do some sort of voodoo? Thanks!!

there is something called apn changer which doesnt make the phone give out the IMEI