Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Noob with a few questions- kinda long

Default Noob with a few questions- kinda long
    Hey guys.
    I've been hanging out in the modmymoto forums and have decided to get an iPhone.
    I first wish to say that I have been looking through these forums for well over a week but I'm still a little unclear on what to expect since there seems to be a bit of conflicting info. My apologies if this should be in a different forum but my concern is specific to ATT service.
    Heres the situation:

I am purchasing an 8g iPhone that was registered with the ATT network until yesterday, at which point it was deactivated.
    The phone has 100's of iTunes downloads on it so I would like to keep those if possible.

I have a current contract (2 lines) w/ ATT for non iPhones.
    I DO NOT want data service since I have wireless access at both home and work(pretty much 24/7). I have had data access with a different provider years ago and just didn't use it enough to justify the cost per month.
    I have read enough on this site to know that ATT will be able to tag me as using an iPhone.

****I went ahead and contacted ATT so have a new question on my next reply****

Sorry in advance for all the questions, I am just trying to insure that I don't shoot myself in the foot.
    Last edited by SirMilo; 2008-07-03 at 08:11 PM. Reason: updated info

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Don't worry about unlocking... just jailbreak with iLiberty. You will need to download BossPrefs and turn Edge to OFF so you don't get charged data fees. You can use your old SIM in the iPhone (i think... if not then you'll be forced to unlock but test first).

Poseidon79-
    Thanks for the response. Ahh... just noticed that you too are an Austinite.

I have read that some people have had issues with turning off Edge in BossPrefs that resulted in a large bill.

I went ahead and called AT&T to "test the water" so to speak.
    I mentioned to them that my present phone is acting up (which it is)
    and that I was contemplating buying a pda type phone, such as a BB or iPhone, but that I was not looking for any data services.
    Naturally they asked 1001 questions about why I would want such a phone without data/messaging and tried to sell me a service package.
    I don't receive or use text messaging and never have. As stated in my first post, i just don't use the internet via phone enough to justify the costs. I did tell him that if I found myself hitting a button for data services that I would add it to my plan.
    I asked them if there would be any need to change plans if I were to buy this pda type phone without any data options- he said no.
    I asked him to kill all data functions on my current phone number to insure that I am not charged for any data services.

Having asked them to block all data functions, will I still be able to use wireless at my house and work or will the locked data mode kill wifi also?
    If I am sim locked off of wifi, can I pull my sim and access wireless?
    Last edited by SirMilo; 2008-07-03 at 08:29 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

WIFI data is not in any way connected to Edge data and is not billable so you should be good to go.

Thanks Poseidon79.
    That's what I wanted to hear.