Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Contract sold separately.

Default AT&T Contract sold separately.
    Requires new 2-year AT&T rate plan, sold separately.
    Right off Apples site.

So no you're not force to get a contract when you buy the new 3G.

My iPhone is a Part of Me m3thodandr3d's Avatar
    Thanks

sweetness looks like I'll have 2 iPhones now . I wonder if i'll be able to swap out the sim in between phones.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out

Ahem, right off the AT&T News Room:

"AT&T remains the exclusive U.S. carrier of the iPhone 3G, which will be available beginning July 11 at a starting price of $199 with a two-year contract."

Link: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...rticleid=25791

Without contract you're looking to pay the same prices we've paid before.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The hardware is STILL sold separately from the service plan. AT&T is just telling everyone up front that they won't activate your phone unless you sign the contract. The price of the hardware is NOT contingent on signing the contract. It is two SEPARATE transactions. (sold separately) This is so Apple is responsible for hardware warranty and support and takes that portion of the liability off AT&T (or the legit service provider in your area)

Ahem* From the Apple Website:

* Based on 3G and EDGE testing. Actual speeds vary by site conditions. Based on iPhone 3G (8GB) and first-generation iPhone (8GB) purchases. Requires new 2-year AT&T rate plan, sold separately.

Read the entire press release. They state it pretty clearly that the $199/$299 price is ONLY with a 2-year contract. They're changing their entire revenue model and selling the phone through the providers.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Ahem, right off the AT&T News Room:

"AT&T remains the exclusive U.S. carrier of the iPhone 3G, which will be available beginning July 11 at a starting price of $199 with a two-year contract."

Link: AT&T- News Room

Without contract you're looking to pay the same prices we've paid before.
    Would I be able to walk out of AT&T or APPLE store with the new iphone paying $399 for the 8 GB model WITHOUT a contract or order it from APPLE.COM? if that's the case then i wont complain about the $399 price point because my dudes yall know it is totally worth it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I guess we will all have to wait a month and see...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Just got off the phone with the local Apple store and from what the lady on the phone said, we're looking at the same price either way. If you go to the Apple Store and purchase, you're still going to pay the $199 or $299 price; there is no activation in the Apple Store. She also said that the phone will not "work" unless it's activated. I'm trying to figure out where I heard that before. Anyways, this is great news guys.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ima80baby For This Useful Post:

schweitzer (2008-06-10)

Sadly, I'm in agreement with Noodle_boy over the wording of the press release. Anyone have details on buying an iphone with service and then canceling? What kind of overall price would we be looking at? Someone said breaking the contract would be $175, but there's also a major deposit required at the time of signing?

EDIT** didn't see ima80baby's post

WOW, I hope the call representative wasn't feeding you false information (which is highly possible at this early juncture). I may end up in a line somewhere 50 hours in advance (how long I wanted for a ps3--doh) if this is the case.
    Last edited by schweitzer; 2008-06-10 at 04:04 AM.

AT&T now says you have to wait a full month before canceling your iPhone plan before dropping the contract if you want to keep the iPhone.

Meaning
    $175 - Contract ETF
    $70 - First Month Bill
    -$5 - One month off of ETF
    =$240.00

Placing the total for a 16GB iPhone at $539.00 plus tax minimum.

Thanks

lets not forget that today is July 11th, just over 48 hours after steve jobs announced the 3g iphone.

i very much doubt any concrete information will be handed down to any customer service rep for a week or so at least....

lol, Reeko... It was June 11th when you said that..... Honestly i wouldnt mind paying the full price for the phone as long as i could still use it. My back up plan however if they dont, is to buy a used 16gb and have the aftermarket black metal back cover put on (since the warranty on it wouldnt be effective anymore). So at least my 16gb would still look nice and have more memory.