Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T PAYG (Pay As You Go) Questions

Default AT&T PAYG (Pay As You Go) Questions
    Is this still able to be done with a unlocked iPhone? Could I just buy one of the AT&T PAYG phones from a store, activate it with AT&T and then swap the SIM out and put it in the iPhone?

Thanks

Yes, or you could just buy an AT&T sim. I use a prepaid T-Mobile sim that I purchased from Ebay. It already had a number and 150 minutes time. Just plugged it into the iphone and was off and running. Since then I just add more minutes when needed.

Thanks

Do all the applications that use the Internet work?
    Like youtube safari and the others.
    Also, I was wondering about how much it costs to use these Internet applications.
    Like how much are the rates?
    Sorry for all the questions I own an iPod Touch and plan to sell it and buy an iPhone unlock it and use an at&t prepaid phone sim card with it.

Thanks

That's what I did with my iPhone, Pay as you Go, except I din't use it for any calls-just for edge data for the phone. Everything worked fine on this and only cost $19.99 a month with AT&T.

Quote Originally Posted by keisi View Post
    That's what I did with my iPhone, Pay as you Go, except I din't use it for any calls-just for edge data for the phone. Everything worked fine on this and only cost $19.99 a month with AT&T.
    But make sure you get the Prepaid internet/data for 19.99/mo and not the regular voice Prepaid, which is what I did and whenever I used the internet, checked mail, or used the weather or stocks app it really ate up my credit on my account fast! I mean I went through $45 in 3 days and that wasn't even much surfing around.

I use a prepaid in mine and I buy a refill card for about $27 every 3 months. I use the prepaid because I only use the phone when I'm not at home and basically use it in the car. I don't spend a lot of time on the phone which is why I use the prepaid. Just "hello, I'm on my way, goodbye". "Hello, I'm gonna be a bit late, goodbye". That kind of stuff.
    I disabled the Edge so I wouldn't get any big bills and I live in the city so if I really need the wifil, I could find a hotspot or an open network easy enough.
    I had the go phone for a couple of years but when I saw that you could unlock the iphone and use it for not just a phone, but also a hand held pc, and an mp3 player, I jumped and haven't looked back!

Iphone 3G, Mac Book, Ipad Mini, Vista, Windows 7

And just so you know the new 3g Iphone you cant use prepaid on it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercyberjedi View Post
    And just so you know the new 3g Iphone you cant use prepaid on it right now.
    I like how you threw that "Right Now" in there. I'm on the pay as you go....
    1000 anytime minutes, unlimited text, mobile to mobile and the unlimited data plan. Bill ends up at $122.00 Monthly and I've been doing it since they've come out. I'm pissed about them not offering the 3G for prepaids for us here in the US... but in Italy and a few places over seas they are... Whats up with that? And How long you think it'll be before they crack and start letting the 3g be on prepaid.

Thanks for all the replies, I got my iPhone and gophone working on it. I just unlocked it then bought a gophone package with sim from Target and activated it online and put it in my iPhone. Everything works fine except the EDGE. I can do everything else on the phone except use EDGE for data. I've called but gotten no real answers.

Also the notifications are really annoying every time I send an SMS or some thing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to agentdax5 For This Useful Post:

bretthartt (2008-06-25)

i wanna know if i can get a pay as you go sim with just unlimited data and text, no minutes???

Quote Originally Posted by newone757 View Post
    i wanna know if i can get a pay as you go sim with just unlimited data and text, no minutes???
    You can get unlimited text for $19.99, max data feature they have is 5mb for $9.99.

thanks

ehhhh, 5 mb is a joke lol. i thought i read something where the guy had an unlimited data sim card for 20 a month. I googled it and found it again but it didnt mention text which is why i ask,

but even if i could do unlimited text for 20 and data for 20, 40 a month still sucks for that. i pay 45 a month now for 2 phones sharing 1000 mintues unlimited net and text, nights at 7 and free 1st incoming minute, on sprint

thanks

ehhhh, 5 mb is a joke lol. i thought i read something where the guy had an unlimited data sim card for 20 a month. I googled it and found it again but it didnt mention text which is why i ask,

but even if i could do unlimited text for 20 and data for 20, 40 a month still sucks for that. i pay 45 a month now for 2 phones sharing 1000 mintues unlimited net and text, nights at 7 and free 1st incoming minute, on sprint

Well it's prepaid...they don't expect people to use that much data a month anyway. I sure won't be.

lol but 5 mb is like 20 pics or something, you can visit like 2 websites and your done for the month, no sense in that

lol but 5 mb is like 20 pics or something, you can visit like 2 websites and your done for the month, no sense in that
    Heh, I'd use it mostly for my mail while I'm gone. But really I'm never not near a access point so it's not a big deal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by agentdax5 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies, I got my iPhone and gophone working on it. I just unlocked it then bought a gophone package with sim from Target and activated it online and put it in my iPhone. Everything works fine except the EDGE. I can do everything else on the phone except use EDGE for data. I've called but gotten no real answers.

Also the notifications are really annoying every time I send an SMS or some thing.
    agentdax5, that is EXACTLY what I want to do. I currently have AT&T Pay-As-You-Go on a Sony Ericcson somethingOrOther and have an iPhone that someone gave me. When you said you "unlocked" your iPhone, what steps did you use or can you point me to where you got the steps, unlocking apps, etc.?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xbrotherx View Post
    agentdax5, that is EXACTLY what I want to do. I currently have AT&T Pay-As-You-Go on a Sony Ericcson somethingOrOther and have an iPhone that someone gave me. When you said you "unlocked" your iPhone, what steps did you use or can you point me to where you got the steps, unlocking apps, etc.?

Thanks
    I jailroke my phone using iLiberty+ (theiphoneproject) on firmware 1.1.4. It's pretty simple and you could find a guide on how to use it on here by just doing a search.

After jailbroken I inserted the PAYG SIM and went to the AT&T activation site (https://www.wireless.att.com/activations/) and activated step by step. After a few minutes you'll be all set.

Also a little update, I called 611 and asked about the feature packages, they also have a unlimited messaging package and unlimited MediaNet package both are $19.99 and last for 30 days. So $40 a month for unlimited messaging and data is a deal opposed to paying a contract for me. I don't use my iPhone for voice conversations.

Thanks, agentdax5. I will be using my iPhone for voice calls, but obvisouly, since I am using PAYG, I don't talk much. Mostly stuff like, "Almost home" or "What you need from the grocery store". The data stuff is not much of a concern with me. I can find hotspots I assume. I never text message and I can email from my laptop. I don't want to be that connected to my email

Thanks again I will post an update once I am using it.

Quote Originally Posted by agentdax5 View Post

For the edge to work, you have to call the go phone hot line and enroll in the iphone plan... they're going to charge you $30 monthly (on your credit or debit card) for unlimited internet plan and ur email. As for the recieving the account balance everytime you do something on the phone i recommend getting the unlimited texting for $15-$20. Its crazy because it seems like youre on a contract plan but youre not.
    The Best There Is...
    The Best There Was....
    And The Best There Ever Will Be.....