Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Q: How do you buy an Iphone without data plan?

Default Q: How do you buy an Iphone without data plan?
    I have a cingular account already and I'm planning to buy a refurbished iphone from the cingular website. I don't have to pay for a new 2 year account but the sales person said I need to add an extra $20 data plan every month. I'm trying to get this iphone as an present for my mom so I'm not going to use it in the US nor will I ever use the data plan. Is there anyways you can just buy the iphone from cingular and they won' add that data plan to your current plan?

I know how to unlock an iphone but I don't know how to get rid off the data plan contract.

Thanks for helping me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Buy the phone from an Apple Store.
    That's what I did.
    There is no contract when you buy it.

even if you purchase the phone from an iphone store and activate it though itunes you will still get the 2 year contract on your account as SOON as its activated though itunes... so you still get the contract just not untill its activated from itunes. if you dont activate it at a store or though itunes then you wouldnt get the contract...

Unlock and activate it at that point

I would jailbreak,unlock, and activate it with iLiberty+ or Pwng then you can put any GSM SIM card in it, disable the Edge network either with Boss Pref's or SSH into the phone and change a bit of the code. I did the latter but it's not recommended if your not sure about what your doing.
    If you don't have a data plan then they just charge you by the amount of data transferred through Edge. Hence the disabling.Once it's disabled you just get a "could notconnect to Edge network" message and no large bills either.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ronzo For This Useful Post:

mawsoccer (2008-06-30)