Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Passing on old iPhone

Thanks

Default Passing on old iPhone
    Alright, in the light of all the news regarding the new 3G iPhone, its got me thinking what I should do with my old iPhone. Now that I am back from college, I asked my mom and she said she would take it, but does not want to pay the extra "iPhone" plan, which is fair. Pretty much we have a AT&T Family plan with 4 lines, two iPhone lines, mine and my brother. It's cheaper to pay the 9.99+iPhone Data Plan than to get my own. Either way, my question is, how can I give my mother my old iPhone on her basic plan with no data and a.) get it to work for phone and texting, but not data. b.) make sure edge is always off so she doesn't get charged (So I can set up email and have it work on WiFi only) Any help would be appreciated. I know this has been asked before, can't seem to find it though. And none of those "Why would you want an iPhone without the data" And trust me, I feel the same way, but mom always gets what she wants.

Obviously there is no rush as I wont be letting my old iPhone go until I have the 3G model in my little hands.

well... if you say "no data", EDGE must be turned off... but without EDGE, you don't get to send sms/mms, AFAIK.

so, if you install bosspref, you can turn EDGE off... but mom won't be able to send txt messages (but she'll be able to receive - saying that b/c i do receive sms with EDGE turned off).

I have a AT&T "GoPhone" SIM in my iphone with the Edge network permanently disabled and I can send text messages just fine.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ronzo For This Useful Post:

jasaomajor2 (2008-06-02)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzo View Post
    I have a AT&T "GoPhone" SIM in my iphone with the Edge network permanently disabled and I can send text messages just fine.
    Hmmm.... Then probably the protocol being used, in your case ronzo, is GPRS...

Thanks for your feedback, as it suggests that I'm missing something else on the configuration of my phone (I can receive SMS just fine, but I can't send).

No, I'm quite sure that it is GSM, but I can't send or receive MMS without Edge. But the fact that you can receive text but not send arouses my curiosity. Just wondering if there was some way "around" it. But I guess it is as you said and has something to do with the protocol?

Quote Originally Posted by Squid7085 View Post
    Alright, in the light of all the news regarding the new 3G iPhone, its got me thinking what I should do with my old iPhone. Now that I am back from college, I asked my mom and she said she would take it, but does not want to pay the extra "iPhone" plan, which is fair. Pretty much we have a AT&T Family plan with 4 lines, two iPhone lines, mine and my brother. It's cheaper to pay the 9.99+iPhone Data Plan than to get my own. Either way, my question is, how can I give my mother my old iPhone on her basic plan with no data and a.) get it to work for phone and texting, but not data. b.) make sure edge is always off so she doesn't get charged (So I can set up email and have it work on WiFi only) Any help would be appreciated. I know this has been asked before, can't seem to find it though. And none of those "Why would you want an iPhone without the data" And trust me, I feel the same way, but mom always gets what she wants.

Obviously there is no rush as I wont be letting my old iPhone go until I have the 3G model in my little hands.

Just take your mothers SIM card and insert it into the iPhone and now its your mothers...there is no way for AT&T to know she switched phones so the charge would either remain the same or drop the second iPhone data package and say you got rid of it...

^^^^^False information at&t can see what device is being used on what number!!
    Thats like saying you don't know who is using your wifi and what there mac address is!! (or spoofed mac address for those wisenheimer's)
    but you could just switch out the sim and be like I lost it and just give it to your mom
    it is no like you have insurance on it or anything as to where the might check!
    30+ Apps Installed And Going
    1.1.4 8GB Iphone
    Jailbraked using Ziphone !!!

You can get text messaging even with Edge off if you have ATT. I put my sim in HTC 8525 for a few hours, then logged into my ATT account and added 200 SMS to my plan for $4.99/mo. I waited 3-4 hours, then I popped my sim back in my iphone. Turned it own, no edge and can send and receive text messages

you do not need Edge or GPRS for SMS. SMS was originally defined in the GSM standards as a means of sending short messages between the mobile terminal and the network. SMS utilizes the extra space that was created in the cell packets headers to carry 160 character text.

Essentially AT&T and all other carriers get this feature for free as the mobile terminal constantly communicates w/ the cell tower. In it's communications it sends cell packets (such as keep alive and connection data). Inside these cell packets there is a header that defines parameters that the network needs to keep the mobile terminal connected to the network. In 1985 when the GMS standards were defined, the standards body placed a 160 character field in the header of all cell packets. Hence we now have Text Messaging or S.M.S.

Basically for every $0.10 the carrier charges for SMS, their cost is less then $0.005 per message.

This is why they charge customers for SMS, since it's almost 99% profit for them.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

your gonna have to bypass activation for your mom

use bosstool to turn off edge

may or may not have to unlock it, but jailbreak/activation for sure is necessary. just hide apps/installer so she jus uses the phone its self
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4