Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: To purchase an iphone.

Default To purchase an iphone.
    I'm new, just enabled my new iphone last night. Switched from verizon last month because of the iphone and apple in general.

So, here is my question (and I have tried the FAQ). My daughter has a Sony ericcson and has had the phone since Nov, with a family AT&T plan that I am now under with my iphone. If I purchase a used iphone on ebay, can I install the SIMM chip from her Sony into the iphone and make the phone work with her account? Can I check the used phone with the working SIMM chip from my working phone?

In other words. Can I buy a used iphone (unlocked or not) and use it with a existing AT&T account for another phone?

Thank-you

i had a friend do so, and it works fine he just plugged his info into iTunes
    Last edited by climbskiroverguy; 2008-05-09 at 09:26 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to climbskiroverguy For This Useful Post:

airedale3882 (2008-05-09)

So, a cheaper used iphone is probably a bad idea. But will the other idea be a good one. An activated SIMM chip in a new (not activated) iphone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

just be careful about data usage.... if you don't have an unlimited data plan you could get hit up with a huge bill if you're on safari all the time over EDGE.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

airedale3882 (2008-05-09)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Loyalty's Avatar
    Thanks

I bought my iPhone on eBay used. I popped my SIM in it and jailbroke it the moment I opened it from the shipping box and have had no problems with it at all. I did have to plug my info in iTunes and selected a data plan (as to NOT rack up the large EDGE bills people post about) and off I went

So if I buy an unlocked iPhone direct from Apple, I can just tell them I will be signing a contract with AT&T...and then bring that iPhone back up to Canada and install my current "Rogers" SIMM card. That sounds too good to be true!

I'm going to search around these forums some more...I'm sure someone is going to convince me that I should be waiting around for a 3G version.

Yea just go throught the itunes process. ull be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bjlawrence11 View Post
    So if I buy an unlocked iPhone direct from Apple, I can just tell them I will be signing a contract with AT&T...and then bring that iPhone back up to Canada and install my current "Rogers" SIMM card. That sounds too good to be true!

I'm going to search around these forums some more...I'm sure someone is going to convince me that I should be waiting around for a 3G version.
    3G is useless in canada anyway... unless you want to pay a fortune.

and yeah, you sign a contract at AT&T then say you haven't decided what plan you want yet, then you unlock the phone, and put your Rogers SIM card in.

Thanks

Careful on data, safari, mail, maps stocks, especially youtube.
    Tread Wary.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DoerrFan For This Useful Post:

airedale3882 (2008-05-13)