Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Benefits to an unlocked at&t iPhone?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Boker's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Benefits to an unlocked at&t iPhone?
    Benefits to an unlocked at&t iPhone?

What are the benefits because if you already have at&t why unlock is there something i am missing?

If your At&t, no need for unlock. Its only useful for other carriers.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

Boker (2008-04-30)

Thanks

If you travel internationally, you can use a different sim card.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Loyalty's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    If you travel internationally, you can use a different sim card.
    Yeah that's about it....... Now jailbreaking, that's a different story

would u be charged for edge n other things if u put in a international sim?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Loyalty's Avatar
    Thanks

I would imagine if you have a data plan you wouldn't get charged.

These r the advantages of unlocking iphone even if you have an ATT plan:

1. If you are on an older plan and are out of contract but are still using ur existing GSM phone, you CANNOT simply switch the SIM card into new iphone to make it work. This is what ATT told me that you will need to activate into a new 2 year contract by signing on to a new plan and paying for activation.
    2. If you are enjoying any corporate discounts on current ATT Plan, they won't allow those discounts with IPHONE. THis is really ridiculous but ATT rep told me specifically that APPLE won't let them offer any discounts to anyone.
    3. ATT will not waive the activation fee for Iphone even if they have been doing it for other phones.
    4. If you are planning to use the IPHone without the data plan for a while you cannot do that. YOU MUST get the data plan to activate your iphone.

In fact what I was told was that even if you are on a legitimate ATT contract with data plan, you cannot simply slide your existing SIM card into iPhone since they have some kind of special SIM card tied to it that they will possibly get migrated from your current one.

I guess all the above disadvantages will be overcome by unlocking the iPhone.

Any comments?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to urfriend_1 For This Useful Post:

kadinh (2008-05-28)

urfriend_1, hit the nail on the head. While there isn't really much advantage to unlocking while on an ATT plan, there is a couple.

I once tried to take my gf's sim and plug it in my phone, so we could swap phones (I had to go to middle of detroit and leave my phone in the car all day). My sim worked in her razr, but her sim didn't work in my iphone. After unlocking her sim works perfect in my phone (note: I didn't test edge).

The sim lock they put on iphones isn't quite like the sim lock on most phones. Most phones are sim locked to the carrier, while the iphone is sim locked to whatever ATT sim you activate it with.

Sorry to bring a post back from the grave, but I was wondering is there were any DISadvantage to unlocking an iPhone on AT&T?

I hear that if you upgrage to 3G, your old 1st gen iPhone SIM no longer works (effectively making and unlocked old iPhone useless). I would hate for that to happen, and if that is the case, I figure I could just unlock the thing before upgrading and then give my wife the old iPhone? Is there any reason I would not want to do this? Thanks!