Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: App Store file server app?

Default App Store file server app?
    Does anyone know of an app that allows browsing of files on Windows, And maybe viewing them?
    I've searched the app store but I only found apps that you have to actually upload a file to send it to the app by either using your Windows browser and ip address, Or something similar to filezilla. I want to be able to browse and access my files freely while I'm at home but away from my computer.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

I like dropbox. I just have it setup to sync my documents folder

3. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

XauroraRAIN (2010-10-04)

Thank you. I'm using it now, I do like the app but I feel It's better for documents such as *.pdf, *.txt, *.jpg. It keeps files synced but mostly my purpose is to access my files when I want. What I mean is, What if I want to watch a movie while I'm home but away from my computer and have my device. If I have to go to iTunes, Add the video files to iTunes and sync it to my device just to watch it, I might as well just watch it on my computer. dropbox is good but it still has to upload the files to the server before you can access them in any way. It seems the small files like picture upload fast. Nearly instant. But a video maybe 200MB is taking about 2 Hours. Actually, I just added a video file to my iTunes it took only 5 seconds. And synced to my iPod Touch which took about 190 seconds. And dropbox is still uploading the video with estimated 2 Hours left. It's not a big deal though, I just want to look at my pictures or videos without having to sync or upload. Because if I do, I'd just use my computer. But thank you, It's a great app and I think I'd still use it for other files.

Thanks

Try orb live. It allows you to stream movies from your pc to phone. I use it all the time.

Teamviewer. It's ridiculously expensive to buy a license, but you can use the free version which has no restrictions other than an extremely restrictive license (no kidding - you way I read it, you're not even allowed to browse Amazon or other e-commerce sites through it) and a nag screen.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Try ZumoCast for media streaming

If all you're interested in is video, Air Video is by far your best option.

Thanks for all your replies. I wasn't notified of the replies as usual so I wasn't aware, Sorry. I've tried OrbLive a few years ago and didn't like it. TeamViewer is the closest to what I'm looking for. And actually, I was already using it but I'd prefer to use it when I need to remote a computer for support, Not just files. But I guess that's fine. I will try ZumoCast, Air Video didn't interest me and I was using video for an example. Thanks again.

Edit: The closest app I could find to ZumoCast is ZumoDrive. But, Considering your message was last year, The name could've changed.

Edit: ZumoDrive works the same as Dropbox. It requires me to upload them through they're server for me to access to them.
    I don't want to have to put all my files through ZumoDrive when I may only access some of them, Or only put some of them through ZumoDrive when I want to access something that isn't their. TeamViewer is the only app i could find, It allows me to browse my computer and access my files in any directory they're currently in without the need of uploading.

Overall, I do think ZumoDrive works well even better then Dropbox. So, I may continue using it. But, It's still not what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll just have to use TeamViewer. Again, Thanks all for your replies. And sorry if I knew that more users have to replies to my question I would have replied sooner, But the notifications aren't working well for me.
    Last edited by XauroraRAIN; 2011-04-29 at 09:05 PM.

No, he meant Zumocast. Unfortunately looking at their website, they are *still* not allowing new downloads.

Zumocast works differently than Zumodrive in that you install the program on your computer, then right-click any folder and select "Add to Zumocast" and that's it, no uploading of anything. As long as your computer is online and connected to the Internet, you can now access that folder from your iPhone. It has support for most common document and image files, but its main feature is media streaming. For mp3 and video files, it transcodes them directly on your computer and streams the iPhone-compatible version over to you via wifi or 3G.

Once they allow registration again, I'd highly recommend giving it a try.

As stated, ZumoCast could not be found. It's not in the App Store at all for me. But if ZumoCast works as you said, That's mostly how Dropbox works. You simply allow which folders or files you want Dropbox to give access to. I don't want to click anything, I want to access which files in which directories which time. Even if I use ZumoCast, I'd still have to select the folders or files I want to access from my computer before being able to access them. Yes It's only a click or two, But I don't want to access all files. And if I select a particular folder, I may want to access a different one later that I didn't allow access to. So, I'll the have to do so. TeamViewer for example, I just have TeamViewer running and simply connect. Thanks for your reply.

Edit: Never mind about the ZumoCast not found in the App Store. I understood that the download was disabled, But I didn't know that the download was actually temporarily removed too. So, It's not their despite not being able to download it.
    Last edited by XauroraRAIN; 2011-04-30 at 09:53 PM.