Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GPS without cellular service?

Default GPS without cellular service?
    I know one of the first thing anyone here is going to post is, "Look for it before you ask" or something along those lines...well I have looked an pretty muchj everywhere I have, it says it's not possible.

I do wonder though, On XGPS in cydia under the gps tab there are 6 of them, will any of those work without cell signal?

I want to use this with the Gps Kit app (it allows caching of topographical, satalite and street maps, I use it for hiking when needed)

If you Have an answer, Please share it!

Thanks in advance

I have tomtom on my old 3gs and i upgraded to my iphone 4 . The gps still works on it with "no service" on the 3gs

Green Apple
    Thanks

All (most?) of these GPS apps are designed for the iPod too ya know.

Anyways, to confirm, I've been using Navigon and TomTom on my iPhone 3G with no sim card. GPS signal is a completely separate entity from AT&T service.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 0blivious For This Useful Post:

sandman2 (2010-07-15)

Quote Originally Posted by 0blivious View Post
    All (most?) of these GPS apps are designed for the iPod too ya know.

Anyways, to confirm, I've been using Navigon and TomTom on my iPhone 3G with no sim card. GPS signal is a completely separate entity from AT&T service.
    GPS works on my iPhone 3G on tom-tom with no sim card in too however doesn't work on my iPad wifi edition strangely enough, wonder if it would work on a iPad 3G with no sim? Seems bit unfair if they left out gps on wifi edition devices

it actually makes sense they left gps out of wifi ipads in a cheap-o apple kind of way, they got to do something more besides 3g ready or wifi to make the price difference, but i see your point that is unfair indeed.