Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Really frustrated with crashing apps...

Default Really frustrated with crashing apps...
    Upgraded to 3.1 on my wife's 2g iPhone....

All the apps crash, have tried EVERYTHING, finally figured out that restoring and setting up the iPhone as a new phone gets them to work, but then i have to reload EVERY piece of data(phone numbers, wifi, email, etc etc) which make that unacceptable...

Does anyone have a solution??

Not really. Alot of times restoring to a backup on a jailbroken phone can cause issues.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Kind of a rule of thumb.
    Clean restore = Click restore in iTunes and not restore from backup
    Upgrading a major version needs a clean restore. Upgrading a minor version should be OK with an upgrade.
    Same goes for backups - do not restore from a backup made in a FW with a major change but minor changes are fine.
    A number change is major and a decimal change (e.g. 3.0 -> 3.1) is minor.

That's why you always have your important stuff backed up elsewhere.

"phone numbers, wifi, email, etc etc"

- Phone numbers and contacts can be synced from Outlook, Google, MobileMe. No reason not to use one of those services (2 of which are free) to organize and have all your contacts in case you need to restore.

- Wifi, email, and contacts can be handled with the new iPhone Configuration Utility, which I think comes with the latest iTunes. It let's you set profile for just about every setting on the phone. So you can set up your profiles for the basics (wifi, email, calendar, even passcode) and if you need to restore from new just install the profile and bam, just like it was before it died.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.