Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tom Tom on Edge? Worth it?

Default Tom Tom on Edge? Worth it?
    Ok guys, I was going through my app store and saw the Tom Tom app for a hefty price. I wish they could give you a trial version for apps, but I guess Apple can trick more people into buying apps they'll later hate. Anyway, I use T-Mobile and the only connection I get is an Edge connection made possible through a t-zones hack. Does anyone have the program and use it on Edge? I dont want to spend money for a program that is going to fail miserably with the connection I have.

Thanks. Sent via iPhone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

TomTom app does not rely upon your network connection, just the GPS signal. So EDGE vs 3G will not matter. It puts the maps right on your phone.

HTH
    kwickone I.T.H.

well considering the iphone has to triangulate based on your cellular location, edge vs. 3g should make a difference.

The tomtom apps works on my edge connection, although it does run better on my friends whos on At&t. Basically just as laggy the main google maps app is, thats how laggy the tom tom app is. If carrying around two things, or leaving a gps in your car at least, is really that big of a deal the iphone app is great. But if you don't have a real GPS in your car or something, i'd just spend the same amount and get a real tomtom (gps) unit, for the same price.
    Last edited by babyblue_pimp; 2009-09-05 at 08:27 PM.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

I've downloaded xGPS before, from Cydia. In there options for GPS, they have several options including a "Fake GPS" and "iPhone 3G GPS" option.

Is anyone positive about the "triangular" method? I know the phone has an ability to know your longitude and latitude, but is that still through the "Fake" or "triangular" method?

I thought the gps works by the cellular connection.

i could have been wrong earlier, but i know after a little bit of testing. in airplane mode, i have no access to gps. in airplane mode with wifi on, i have poor gps reception (it shows my building, not my actual location, in both maps and tomtom). I'll have to do another test later, testing tomtom while not in airplane mode, but with no service. I'll report later.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

NAVIGON is so much better. you dont even need an internet connection. its cheaper and in my opinion better

while i'm not sure whether tomtom uses the net or not...i have noticed that when i use navigon - my car charger is able to charge my phone at the same time, whereas tomtom my phone stays at the same percentage or even drops a few. leads me to believe that tomtom is using 3g somehow...thus using the same amount as it's charging.

Thanks

Used TomTom tonight with NO cell service and it worked great. It took a few seconds to get the GPS to pick up but it was cloudy with areas of rain. We have no 3G in this area and fir half the trip there was no cell signal. I used it on an iPhone 3G. They have they GPS chipset in them. The 2Gs use triangulation.

Thanks

TomTom, Navigon, Sygic, Copilot, etc. don't use the web. All the maps are built in to the app.
    The iPhone 3G & 3GS have a GPS chip in them so that means they don't rely on cell service AT ALL. No triangulation.
    The 2G does not have true GPS since it doesn't have a GPS chip so some GPS apps use triangulation to find your location. Most (if not all) of the turn-by-turn apps don't support the 2G.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

That's what I thought. The program xGPS from Cydia displayed the option for the iPhone's 3G GPS. I just got a 3GS, so I'm thinking - at least from what everyone is telling me - that the Tom Tom program will be quite legit, despite my internet connection.

Anyone else with clues as to how the 3G GPS works? Awesome info appreciated in advance.

Thanks

It'll work fine without data. I used my 3G's navigon up in Yosemite where there was NO cell service of any kind
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Yea, it will work fine

Thanks

^You know what we haven't done in a while?
    *high five*

Thanks

You are too slow

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    ^You know what we haven't done in a while?
    *high five*
    Simma, we have kids lurking around

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Simma, we have kids lurking around
    yessirrr

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    yessirrr
    That went right over your head

Your more than welcome to PM me with any details though

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast