Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: App Store.app Update Notification

Thanks

Default App Store.app Update Notification
    I've been noticing on my wife's 3G that her App Store.app automatically shows how many apps have updates, without actually having to open the App Store.app.

I dont recall this ever happening on my 3GS, I've always had to open App Store.

I didnt think much of it until talking with my brother-in-law who (like my wife) has a 3G that automatically shows update notifications.

Now I'm annoyed. The only app I have in my Settings>Notifications is eBay.

Is something wrong with my 3GS or my App Store.app?

Any help/comments appreciated. Thanks.

No i think you've always had to open the store to get updates... you get the badge if you open it, and hten close it wthout updating.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GregTheWang For This Useful Post:

McMike (2009-08-31)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

I find that I check my AppStore for updates so often that I rarely see those badges. My wife's phone always has them on there because she never checks for updates. I always end up updating her phone

5. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

McMike (2009-08-31)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

for me I notice it if I open Cydia and have an update, when I close it I will see a AppStore badge if there is an update available. weird.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

McMike (2009-08-31)

Thanks

^ that is weird

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

it's me dude, so weird lolz

To be honest I think the App Store app is muntered, I have a range of 2g and 3g iPhones and it always thinks there are new updates whether there are not - for example I have tonight updated all the apps in my iTunes library to the latest version (14 updates), then synched my iPhone 3g which updated those apps. Just checked after reading your post and my app store app has a badge of 5 - so it thinks I have 5 updates needed. iTunes says I have all updates already installed - so my iPhone has as well. Also I never use the app store app, so it can't be from me opening it and closing it without updating it. I think the app checks for updates on random intervals - and displays the results until the next check - so the last time it decided to check (using whatever criteria it has) there were 5 updates available - but as it has no way of knowing I updated everything with iTunes it will still show 5 updates until it decides to check again.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

Thanks

I don't know exactly when it checks for updates. I know it does without having to open the app. Something has to trigger it

Thanks

Maybe its just as simple as that. She either accidentally opens & closes it or uses some other app which triggers check for updates, most likely OLD updates. I'm an update-whore who checks it regularly.

What's Jailbreak? thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 564 Posts

I just went through updating my phones.... all of mine show me the updates without me checking at all... matter of fact it was weird after this last firmware update..... I seen there were updates so instead of updating them on the phone I used itunes to update and then sync... even though I did that the apps did not update on the phone so I had to update them using wifi on the phone... once I did this the update notice was gone....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

McMike (2009-08-31)

Thanks

Now I'm annoyed again.

I suppose my option is going to be a restore, which I'm really not interested in doing. We'll see what happens with 3.1.

Mine acts "funky" every now and then. I had 2 updates the other day and both just disappeared all of a sudden for some reason, then showed back up a few hours later

Sometimes they pop up on there own, then sometimes I dont get the update till I open the AppStore.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

McMike (2009-08-31)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Now I'm annoyed again.

I suppose my option is going to be a restore, which I'm really not interested in doing. We'll see what happens with 3.1.
    Yeah been there did this the other night as well... what started this mess out was when I went to open any app besides on the first page they would crash. Never seen this since the 3G came out and this was my 3G phone....

And I could not back it up because if I did then my backup would have been bad... so I had to restore and backup from August.... which didn't bother me at least I knew I had a good backup at that time but it did take a while to get the phone all set up again... and as I stated before the notifications were weird acting...

I think this part of the itunes is still quite buggy.... at times I feel like I am chasing updates! I wish Apple would fix these weird bugs!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    Yeah been there did this the other night as well...
    Maybe I just dont have the patience I used to, but the whole restore process, unless its for a significant benefit, usually drains the hell out of me. It takes me a full day or two to get everything back to how I had it.

While this dilema, or just knowing its there, is annoying... I'll just wait it out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Maybe I just dont have the patience I used to, but the whole restore process, unless its for a significant benefit, usually drains the hell out of me. It takes me a full day or two to get everything back to how I had it.

While this dilema, or just knowing its there, is annoying... I'll just wait it out.
    Yup I can understand how you feel! I get stressed out as well at times.... anymore I just think once I get it all set back up I will be happy and will feel like I have a new toy again! But to restore my phone because I did not get the update notices.... I don't think I would...

Like the other night when I had to restore my phone more or less the phone was nothing because all of the apps were crashing.... so it was one of those things that I had to do it...

What I do is when my phone is restoring and backing up I chat on the irc or something.... but it isn't so bad because none of my phones are jailbroken...

So if your phone is jailbroken the hole process can be quite long. Even though my phone was not jailbroken it did take a long time because of all of the apps I have on it..

I wish you luck there buddy! Keep us informed and your welcome to ask more questions or stress kindly is needed

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

McMike (2009-08-31)

Mine does everything u guys have said lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    for me I notice it if I open Cydia and have an update, when I close it I will see a AppStore badge if there is an update available. weird.
    This just now happened to me. I dont recall it happening before, I dont have a ton of App Store or Cydia apps, so the coincidence of having 2 at the same time was slim anyway.

Categories in Cydia had an update, and when I backed out - App Store has a (1) badge for Facebook 3.01.

Looked at my wife's phone, went in and out of a couple of apps, but no automatic notification of the new FB update.

Weird.
    Last edited by McMike; 2009-08-31 at 05:05 AM.

Does anyone no if its possible to get appstore update email notifications? or anything like any how it is in cydia with the changes tab but for appstore apps?

Or maybe if i used like the Appminer app on my iphone and added the apps i have and then just checked Appminer to see if theres major updates (obviously this is might seem like more of a hassle than just opening the app store and checking for updates) but i have an ipod touch and im not usually in wifi and when i am its only for short periods of time and the updates tab always takes so long to load for me in itunes.
    Also there are some paid apps that i dont want to buy yet unless i see an update that includes certain things
    I guess i kinda answered my own question but if anyone has another solution (or information as to has often appminer is updated on app updates) to this please tell me
    Last edited by SnowLeo; 2009-09-19 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone ElGriton's Avatar
    Come the Apocalypse I shall be Omnipresent
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    This happens to me as well.
    If you're requesting icons PLEASE include the original and the correct spelling. It makes our job 10X easier. Thank you.
    If you we've helped you hit the thanks button. it makes us giggle.