Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Facebook app

Default Facebook app
    Hi, at first when i downloaded the fb app I figured it would notify me with badges whenever a new message/notification comes up, but it turned out that the app I have doent notify me at all, I have to manually go into the app and look through it myself. In other words I don't get instant notification. Some of my friends iPhones vibrates/makes a sound whenever a new thing comes in and mine doesn't. Can ne one help my out with that please.

Thankyou in advance,
    Speedslayer88.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

hmm you could try enabling push in settings. But I'm pretty sure facebook doesn't support push and won't even support it with the 3.0 update.
    Last edited by ianbroste; 2009-07-30 at 06:38 PM.

It doesn't support those features Would be a nice idea though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Speedslayer View Post
    Hi, at first when i downloaded the fb app I figured it would notify me with badges whenever a new message/notification comes up, but it turned out that the app I have doent notify me at all, I have to manually go into the app and look through it myself. In other words I don't get instant notification. Some of my friends iPhones vibrates/makes a sound whenever a new thing comes in and mine doesn't. Can ne one help my out with that please.

Thankyou in advance,
    Speedslayer88.
    It could be that your friends might run Facebook in the background using Backgrounder. It would be sweet if FB supported Push.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

It may be the apps was not installed properly or downloaded properly. Something malfunctioning it's activity. Or you may not adjust it's settings.
    Give a look again.
    mod/edit links removed

look in settings and ask your friends how they made their fb app to notice them

FB doesn't support push, though it definitely should. Imagine being able to respond to every notification the second you get it 24/7. xD But it's missing a lot of features, like seeing notes, liking, poking, adding people to lists, going directly to a story rather than the person when clicking on a notification, etc. Somehow it's a 4 star app.

FB dont support push notification....I guess
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Jubah
    Jubah Online
    Jubah Muslimah
    Baju Hari Raya
    Baju Muslimah
    Baju Raya 2013
    Baju Kurung
    Baby Clothes

Thanks

u can set it to do sms push to your cell phone from the desktop website.. a temporary solution for the time being
    17" MacBook Pro
    G5
    iPhone 3GS 16G 3.1 Jailbroken//AT&T
    follow me on [email protected]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Speedslayer View Post

Thankyou in advance,
    Speedslayer88.
    Is you phone JB? Well either way just doenload/buy IM+. It works with Facebook and lots of other programs and has the push information you are looking for. Hope this helps you out

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JJMA View Post
    Is you phone JB? Well either way just doenload/buy IM+. It works with Facebook and lots of other programs and has the push information you are looking for. Hope this helps you out
    yeah im+, beejive, and for free, palringo support push notifications for facebook chat. wall posts have yet to be included
    17" MacBook Pro
    G5
    iPhone 3GS 16G 3.1 Jailbroken//AT&T
    follow me on [email protected]

I believe your friends had SMS updates running through a service from facebook. It would be like "hey listen, you got a new comment from todd"
    facebook is getting close to releasing an update to their facebook app though. i saw a preview a while back, ill try and post a link once i find it. but im pretty sure it will have push services.

the cool thing about facebook sms updates is you can actually reply to messages and comments directly from your phone. for example if you got a message facebook would be like (lisa sent you a message: wanna grab some sushi? reply to comment

im pretty sure this is what your friends are getting when you see them being notified

There are currently no push notifications for Facebook. The new Facebook app has been submitted and is awaiting approval. The new version has tons of new features, but push is not one of them. They are looking to add that in the next update.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Wow for real? well, that sucks. in the mean time i gues sms updates will have to do.

Taken from Gizmondo

Here's what Facebook for iPhone 3.0 looks like—pretty nice. Besides the new giant button home screen, you'll be able to actually RSVP to events and create new photo albums. No push yet, but here's the full list:

1. The "new" News Feed
    2. Like
    3. Events (including the ability to RSVP)
    4. Notes
    5. Pages
    6. Create new photo albums
    7. Upload photos to any album
    8. Zoom into photos
    9. Easier photo tagging
    10. Profile Pictures albums
    11. A new home screen for easy access to all your stuff, search, and notifications
    12. Add your favorite profiles and pages to the home screen
    13. Better Notifications (they link to the comments so you can reply)
    14. Quickly call or text people right from the Friends page
    15. Messages you are typing will be restored if you quit or are interrupted by a phone call
    Last edited by andrewmundy; 2009-08-04 at 08:07 PM.

what version is that mine does not look like that

The new one that isn't out yet.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

nor does mine the one in the App store is the one I have

The new one looks nice. As it is the facebook is pretty watered down... only things its good for is posting or viewing status updates and looking and replying to inbox messages. Even the pic viewing is buggy at times.

Chat is okay at times and other times i never receive messages even when they are sent to me.

So im excited for the new facebook app to come out

Quote Originally Posted by ixbilalxi View Post
    The new one looks nice. As it is the facebook is pretty watered down... only things its good for is posting or viewing status updates and looking and replying to inbox messages. Even the pic viewing is buggy at times.

Chat is okay at times and other times i never receive messages even when they are sent to me.

So im excited for the new facebook app to come out
    Buggy at times? Viewing the tags is just 0% okay.

I think he's referring to the app going crazy if you rotate the phone slightly. It's very annoying