Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Collaborative Buying Program

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Post Collaborative Buying Program
    For those of you who like to, and can afford to buy applications out of the App Store, you'll notice while some maybe be low priced, higher quality Apps can be $10+. A recent idea I've thought of is a Collaborative Buying Program which allows up to 4 different people chip in on one application therefore lowering the overall cost of the app per person. The 5th person or account manager uses his/her iTunes account to purchase the App via iTunes and then can send it through Email, iChat, CD, or other method of file transfer. When the end user is asked to authorize the application, the simply input the groups account username and password.

How is it safe?
    To make this a safe process, create a brand new iTunes account that has no connection to any group member's credit card or financial information. Whenever the group decides to put money together to purchase an App, use a Gift Card instead of a credit card. If a group member disobeys a group's rules that have been set such as spending without the group's permission can result in a "ban" from the group. How do you ban a member? Change the account's password and only tell the remaining members. Rules are STRICTLY recommended for groups to have as this is real money that is being shared.

What's the objective?
    The objective of the Collaborative Buying method is to make the purchase of a high quality paid app less expensive. By each group member contributing a certain amount to the group manager, it makes the cost per person much less.

Please remember: This is merely an idea and I am not running an entire service on this. For now, I'm going to test it locally and post on the forums as to how it works out.

Please do reply with any suggestions, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism or anything you think should be added to this guide.
    Thurbs190

It does sound like a good idea, which I would not mind doing. But can itunes or the app store check the phone serial number & area to tell if there are different people using the app with the same account name?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to johndoe25 For This Useful Post:

thurbs190 (2009-03-23)

Thanks

thought of it a thousand times but one member can just take over the a/c by changing the password...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sayam For This Useful Post:

thurbs190 (2009-03-23)

Thanks

My constructive criticism would be to sell your iphone if $5 apps are too expensive for you.

Seriously. Is this what you do at lapdancing clubs? You and your mates ask for 1/4 of a dance each so you can all chip in $2.50?
    To live, you have to lie

Dude get off of him. He just wants to save some money in today's economy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GregTheWang View Post
    true, everyone one wants to...

Good idea... however... What about the 5 computer rule that apple has about iTunes accounts. Unless the person thats kicked out "deauthorizes" his/her computer no one else can even join. You'd be forced to repeat the entire process again. :-(

Thanks

Today's economy?? This economy is doing perfectly fine for most people. I think he would want to save money no matter what state the economy is in.

Why are iphone users so cheap? I really think you should be earning minimum $30K before you're allowed to buy one
    To live, you have to lie

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    Today's economy?? This economy is doing perfectly fine for most people. I think he would want to save money no matter what state the economy is in.

Why are iphone users so cheap? I really think you should be earning minimum $30K before you're allowed to buy one
    Ouch... thats a little heavy bro. iPhones are a luxury that we all share no matter what the wages are.

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post

Do me a favor and pick up a newspaper tomorrow morning k?

To make things safer.. Don't purchase a gift card until you are ready to buy apps.
    Then, right when the money gets transferred to the "account" is when you purchase the gift card/apps.

Don't just let anyone in, get to know the person a little before.
    wwjd

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I am curious about the legalities of this? Sure you are allowed 5 computers, but aren'y you supposed to own them or at least be the main user of them? I think the idea behind this restriction is to allow one user/owner use the pp on all of his or her machines, not to allow group buys of this. I guess my question is if Apple knew you were doing this could they take legal action? It seems to me they could. It is, essentially, piracy.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    It is, essentially, piracy.
    correct...
    Last edited by Broomhead; 2009-03-23 at 02:08 PM.

Why not just have a massive forum donation fund and use the money donated to buy apps. And then turn them into IPA's. That way EVERYONE can get in on it.

...oh wait we've got/had appulo for that

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If you want to save money, you should balance your needs and wants in your life.

Do you really NEED a 3G phone and apps if you are trying to save money? No. There are providers who sell basic phones with unlimited calling for $50 a month.

This is the WORST idea every to do with people you don't know. Someone will have a credit card assocaited with the account so anyone can technically go buy something from the app store. Also, someone can go and change the password or email of the account very easily.

BAD IDEA

Oh and on top of the fact that people who did the same thing for music cds and movies were brought up on federal charges but really, go ahead.
    Last edited by boxxa; 2009-03-29 at 09:11 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone aussiebob's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the apps at the itunes store are already reasonably priced for the time and effort people are spending on them.
    Most good apps are around the $5 mark and is this cheap "because" many people will buy from the store around the world.
    Try getting a new playstation game for this price.
    We are all feeling the worldwide economy slowdown and this is why good apps have a FREE light version.
    Give up a coffe for the day and dont use the toll...buy an app instead.
    I use over $20 in tolls as a courier driver a day and makes me feel good when I go around a few on non urgent deliverys to buy an app.
    Oh and if its a business related app claim it as a tax deduction.
    And if you say you dont have coffee or use tolls compromise that Mcdonalds meal once a week
    My signiture? Whats that...............

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    This is the WORST idea every to do with people you don't know. Someone will have a credit card assocaited with the account so anyone can technically go buy something from the app store. Also, someone can go and change the password or email of the account very easily.
    There are ways of creating an iTunes acct without a real CC. you just use expired iTunes gift cards.

The CC thing, well he said you would use giftcards...BUT still, someone can just walk in and ruin everything.

Instead of suggesting this to people on a forum which you don't know. Go find 5 of your closest friends in real life. Suggest this to them. If they respond the same way we did...Its a pretty bad idea

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

This thread needs to be closed because this essentially warez. Just because you can bend some rules doesn't mean it isn't stealing.

yeah, Its borderline at the moment...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Its like collaborative bank robbing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast